Terry Pratchett Question.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Dwarf, Jul 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning Chaps, on the 7th august I'm going back to the UK for a few days on my own to actually have a holiday, drink real ale and catch up with a couple of mates from the old days (SLR) and was thinking about picking up the latest Pratchett stuff as I am a Discworld fan.
    On a fast visit at the beginning of the month I picked up Snuff which I enjoyed after finding Unseen Academicals a bit flat and a touch too pontificating perhaps. So I was looking at maybe going for Dodger and the Long Earth books with Stephen Baxter.
    But here is the problem, I have read a couple of Pratchett books where he steps outside Discworld and didn't particularly enjoy them. Nation I found predictable and flat and won't pick up again even though I usually reread his books more than once, and the Dark Side of the Sun frankly boring, although it's an early work.
    So can anyone give me an opinion on Dodger and Long Earth, I'd be interested.
    Thanks in advance lads.

2. Although written for younger readers, the gnome trilogy is excellent. Also for the darker side of pratchetts humour try Bad Omens, written with Neil Gaiman.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 6
  3. I haven't read Dodger (except for the 1st chapter at the end of Snuff) but I read the long earth.

It's more sci-fi that Discworld, and don't expect any laughs. The underlying idea is interesting, although I thought it could have done with a bit more polishing before going to press.

• Like Like x 2
  4. "Good Omens " is a must

• Like Like x 5
  5. Just rereading the Gnomes with my youngest, I was 30 when I first read them and thought they were great.

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. Was my first Pratchett book which I got from the library only because Neil Gaiman had wrote it too. After that I read Withches abroad and was hooked.
    Long Earth is ok and I enjoyed Dodger.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch is also good

• Like Like x 2
  7. Long Earth, and the newly released The Long War are both very good IMO, and do present the reader with some pretty good philosophical arguments.
    I mean, what would govt's do if suddenly there were an infinite amount of Earths (only ours inhabited by humans) easily accessible to almost everyone via a simple home-made device?
    As regards his releases a couple of years back, i found the ones released around the time he found out he had Alzheimer's his writing took a real blow, not just because he had to get someone to type for him now, but that his mind wasn't in the game.
    I think he's now back on form, and trying to get as much out as possible before he can no longer keep going.

8. Thanks so far lads. I do like the Gnomes trilogy and have them in the house, Good Omens I haven't laid hands on yet and will look out for it. It's Dodger and the Long Earth/War that are making me ponder. I like traditional sci-fi so will give the last two a look at, sound interesting in concept. Much like getting interstellar drive, you can export your ideas and system to another planet but then how do you control it? A perennial problem much written about, how and why should one extend power, especially over those who have moved to get away from it.
    But what is Dodger? Humour, or just a rewriting of the story?

9. Dodger is inspired by Dickens Artful Dodger, but isn't to do with Oliver Twist. I recommend it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Dodger is very good fun, as Sinner said inspired by the Artful Dodger though not a copy. Even if Dickens, Disreali and Queen Victoria make an appearance. The treatment of Sweeny Todd is surprisingly sympathetic.

I'd heartily reccomend the book.

BTW his next Discworld novel "Raising Steam" is out in c3 months.

• Like Like x 1
  11. If you like Pratchett try Robert Rankin books as well, a good start is Armageddon the Musical.

12. and if you want the darkest of the discworld books you should try Nightwatch.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Took me a bit of time to get into Dodger but that's probably because I was expecting it to be more discworldesque.
    Enjoyed both Long Earth and Long War.

Looking forward to the new one

Sent in a harsh font, using finger paints

• Like Like x 1
  14. Really enjoying Dodger right now - not at the end yet but it's been a fun read.

15. Dodger would have been a whole lot better if it had been a disc world book about the early days of Nobby Nobbs. I found it just a little bit predictable. The long Earth was good. More old fashioned science fiction than disc world fantasy. I haven't read the long war yet, but Pratchet has made the long Earth a world of possibilities and I can't wait to find out what will happen there. Good Omens is a must.