Terrorists use Google maps to hit UK troops

Sorry if this has been done already. Did a check but couldn’t see any mention.

Terrorists 'use Google maps to hit UK troops'

By Thomas Harding in Basra

Terrorists attacking British bases in Basra are using aerial footage displayed by the Google Earth internet tool to pinpoint their attacks, say Army intelligence sources.
Documents seized during raids on the homes of insurgents last week uncovered print-outs from photographs taken from Google.

The satellite photographs show in detail the buildings inside the bases and vulnerable areas such as tented accommodation, lavatory blocks and where lightly armoured Land Rovers are parked.

Written on the back of one set of photographs taken of the Shatt al Arab Hotel, headquarters for the 1,000 men of the Staffordshire Regiment battle group, officers found the camp's precise longitude and latitude.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/13/wgoogle13.xml

I guess it had to happen. I wonder for how long Terrorists have been making use of this facility?

B

Biscuits_AB

Like all the bases in Germany, the UK and everywhere else? You'd have thought that there would have been some sort of security issue raised with 'Google' and other providers.

I thought google earth had reverted all its Iraq overheads to pre invasion? havent been on google earth for a while, I prefer flash earth myself

geo7863 said:
I thought google earth had reverted all its Iraq overheads to pre invasion? havent been on google earth for a while, I prefer flash earth myself
they have but take a look at shaiba , its not hard to work out distances and where troops are likely to be

Google world
(Daily Telegraph letters)

Sir – As a former soldier who served in the Intelligence Corps, I can imagine how Google Earth images could aid insurgents (News, January 13), but anyone with a decent map and training will improve their accuracy. Perhaps the Services could also ask serving and former Servicemen and women not to add placemarks with "I was here" type messages.

The value of Google Earth as an educational tool outweighs security concerns. Given the situation on the ground in Iraq, it is likely that a local working on the military compounds would be more able to pinpoint and identify accommodation than a two-year-old aerial photograph.