Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrorist or Peace-Maker? Interview with Gerry Adams

Is Gerry Adams a Terry or Peacemaker

• Terry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peacemaker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Stonker said:
western said:
An artist, a poet and o politician he is not.

Nor, in the eyes of the law is he a criminal.

Don't take this to mean in any way that I am a fan.

Anything but.

And, yes I do remember him taking part in the '74 talks. I was off to Belfast for my first tour at the back end of that year - I was paying attention quite closely.

But just because you believe him to be a nasty bastard, you can't just top hiim, or any of his mates, is my message to Tropper and his ilk.

The biggest hits to the legitimacy of Brit rule and Brit justice in the latter half of the 20thC involved the freeing of folk after very lengthy periods doing porridge, after wrongly being imprisoned on the basis of dodgy or even trumped-up evidence.

Start killing folk just 'cos you don't like their opinions and you can't catch them in the act - and you're headed down a path trodden elsewhere by folk who greeted each other with a straight arm salute and quite liked the look of themselves in black uniforms with red and white trimmings.

My bold with pedant head on - Are you confusing dates / year? Adams was released from HMS Maidstone on 7th July 1972 to attend a meeting with Willie Whitelaw at Peter Channon's house in Cheyne Walk. Mc Guinness an up and coming star in the movement, attended with other soon to be well known gun men in this entourage.

Punch

LE
I wonder if Adams ever remembers the Ulster Defence Regiment soldier who disarmed the Loyalist gunman who was about to pop Gerry "peacemaker" a third eye/ extra rectum, or whatever, with a handgun? Probably not - most other people have forgotten - or knew nothing about it.

milsum said:
Actually he's not Rt Hon, just Hon. Unless he's a member of the Privy Council.

I stand corrected. Difficult, though, even to say the reduced version without grimacing.

Can't connect Honourable with Adams, somehow.

afcass

Old-Salt
brighton hippy said:
The war is over cira and others can keep the "dream alive :cry:" but its not coming back.

They haven't gone away you know.

It is my honest belief that we have taken our eye of the ball here.
They are still actively recruiting.
They are brainwashing the weak minded and the gullible, just like Al-Quada do.
The fundraising goes on.
They are making money and friends while running terrorism tourism visits, designed to increase sympathy for their cause, with a nod and a wink to the ones who have taken on the baton.
They are building up support, money and contacts while we are busy elsewhere, and when the time is right they will be back.

Adams and McGuinness should have been found dead in a ditch a long time ago.

Punch

LE
If we study the pattern of activity of Irish terrorism in the 19thC we will see we are due for another violent campaign in less than four years.
They - the republican movement - will not wait for the demograph which is likely to give a Catholic majority in around 20/25 years.
(Of course that Catholic majority may not in any case vote themselves out of the UK for considerably longer - and certainly will not then be keen to give overall power to extremist!)

Why not "Both" or "Neither" as options?

Through three decades of the conflict, the moderates on both sides held the balance of power. Now after the GFA the balance of power has passed from the UUP and SDLP to the DUP/SF. Society is therefore more polarised than ever before and, in my opinion, the Republicans will continue with the way of the ballot box until such time as they think a new/old approach is needed.

When the UK government of the day says "no more concessions" then the way of the armalite will return, as has happened so often before in Irish politics. New Labour is closely aligned with SF both politically and when His Toniness was in charge religously as well; New Labour also had an axe to grind with the UUP after their support for the Conservatives. Next year will present huge political challenges for a new government and for the SF leadership.

veritas

Old-Salt
They haven't gone away you know.

It is my honest belief that we have taken our eye of the ball here.
They are still actively recruiting.
They are brainwashing the weak minded and the gullible, just like Al-Quada do.
The fundraising goes on.
They are making money and friends while running terrorism tourism visits, designed to increase sympathy for their cause, with a nod and a wink to the ones who have taken on the baton.
They are building up support, money and contacts while we are busy elsewhere, and when the time is right they will be back.

Adams and McGuinness should have been found dead in a ditch a long time ago.

I agree.

Ive just returned from a holiday in Atlanta, GA where one evening I spotted a couple of chaps in the hotel bar wearing T-shirts blazoned with 'IRA - never defeated army' and some crap on the back I couldnt read.

I wanted to ask them if they would be happy to wear something with similar sentiments about al qaeda but the other half and friends argued we were on holiday, didnt need the hassle and at 7 months pregnant I'm not in top fighting form.

Bugsy

LE
Purple_Tophat said:
It is Northern Ireland; not 'The six counties' or Brazil for that matter.
What, have you just found it on the map? :D :D :D

MsG

Punch

LE
Bugsy said:
Purple_Tophat said:

MsG

It is Northern Ireland in international law, as is the Republic of Ireland - not "six counties" and "32 counties" or any other appellation.
It is rude and boorish to describe either in any other way - unless of course some political point sympathetic to extremists is being pushed.
The voters will decide in due course, probably in about 25 / 30 years if it should change, not Gerry Adams or any other violent republican organisation.

Bugsy

LE
Punch said:
Bugsy said:
Purple_Tophat said:

MsG

It is Northern Ireland in international law, as is the Republic of Ireland - not "six counties" and "32 counties" or any other appellation.
It is rude and boorish to describe either in any other way - unless of course some political point sympathetic to extremists is being pushed.
The voters will decide in due course, probably in about 25 / 30 years if it should change, not Gerry Adams or any other violent republican organisation.
Hey, keep yer socks on, mucker. You're starting to sound like one of them professional "affronted-by-everythingers". :)

For us ROIers from Co Waterford, anything above about the Galway-Dublin line is "Northern Ireland", which would also include places like Mayo, Longford, Sligo, Leitrim etc, which aren't in the Six Counties.

And it's not rude or boorish at all. It serves to pinpoint more precisely where we mean. Why are you making such a big deal of this?

MsG

Bugsy said:
Punch said:
Bugsy said:
Purple_Tophat said:

MsG

Hey, keep yer socks on, mucker. You're starting to sound like one of them professional "affronted-by-everythingers". :)

For us ROIers from Co Waterford, anything above about the Galway-Dublin line is "Northern Ireland", which would also include places like Mayo, Longford, Sligo, Leitrim etc, which aren't in the Six Counties.

And it's not rude or boorish at all. It serves to pinpoint more precisely where we mean. Why are you making such a big deal of this?

MsG

Yeah; fair play, I could see how speaking to your mates in Co Waterford where there could be some confusion between North of ROI and NI.

I am no Saint, to my peers I use the words NI and Ulster to have the same meaning; Forgetting Cavan, Donegal and the other one are ROI

I am new to this forum; however it apears to a greater audience than any ones given locality. However in NI the phrase the six counties, or quite commonly the occupied six, is another tag line of republican propoganda, brits out etc. Those of us that are British and live in that part of the UK, find that phrase 6 counties rude.

Bugsy said:
Purple_Tophat said:

MsG

First 19 years of my beautiful life where spent there, centre of the world if you ask me!

Purple_Tophat said:
Bugsy said:
Punch said:
Bugsy said:
Purple_Tophat said:

MsG

MsG

Yeah; fair play, I could see how speaking to your mates in Co Waterford where there could be some confusion between North of ROI and NI.

I am no Saint, to my peers I use the words NI and Ulster to have the same meaning; Forgetting Cavan, Donegal and the other one are ROI

I am new to this forum; however it apears to a greater audience than any ones given locality. However in NI the phrase the six counties, or quite commonly the occupied six, is another tag line of republican propoganda, brits out etc. Those of us that are British and live in that part of the UK, find that phrase 6 counties rude.

Bugsy said:
Purple_Tophat said:

MsG

First 19 years of my beautiful life where spent there, centre of the world if you ask me!

PH, don't worry about it, Bugsy only uses the term to see who he can get to bite. Although his actual knowledge of what happens here in NI is so poor he might actually get NI mixed up with Mayo, Longford etc.

Papa_Lazarou

War Hero
Test out the theory, you get the political leaders you deserve.

South Africa has a child rapist, and NI has McNugget and Fester Adams, seems like their might be some facts to the theory

Punch

LE
LEGZ30 said:
Purple_Tophat said:
Bugsy said:
Punch said:
Bugsy said:
Purple_Tophat said:

MsG

MsG

Bugsy said:
Purple_Tophat said:

MsG

PH, don't worry about it, Bugsy only uses the term to see who he can get to bite. Although his actual knowledge of what happens here in NI is so poor he might actually get NI mixed up with Mayo, Longford etc.
Thanks for putting me right LEGZ30 - I did have suspicions about BUGSY's knowledge of the subject.

Latest Threads