Terrorist Nominated to Serve on Police Board

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, Apr 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Martina Anderson, one of the Brighton Bombers, has been selected to serve on the Policing Board. From this BBC article

Edited to remove incorrect information

2. "We do not negotiate with terrorists"

Absolute tosh.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Bliars message to all criminals and murderers out there is that 'Crime Pays'. If you can't get your own way normally, the best thing to do is to kill people with guns and bombs. Then and only then can you sit at the big table.

4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Trust in the police is an important part of creating peace in the province. It isn't going to happen over night but this is a start in building that trust in the Catholic communities. We may not like it but its political reality. There's also the issue that she did the time - debt paid to society etc.

5. Yes this is political reality but it still leaves a bad taste.
    Reading the link, this woman is not in the business of building trust in the PSNI.
    SHe was released early under the Good Friday agreement so arguably hasn't done the time. As far as I am concerned I do not forgive or forget.

6. GwaiLo

Apparently so.

I was under the impression that this was so but have just had Your post confirmed by someone who was invovled with the authority. I withdraw that part of the and will delete the paragraph

7. Do they not do a security check on the members?

Are you or have you ever been involved in a terrroist organisation? (Or words to that effect)

8. green_slime
    The IRA remains, I believe, a proscribed organisation under the terrorism act 2000, so membership is still a criminal offence. However I doubt that she would admit to being a member now or in the past. In any event there isn't any dispute that she was convicted of terrorist offences, the issue that people are unhappy about is that people convicted of such offences can serve on a police authority. Not that I am suggesting that you havent understood that, its just that whether she is or isn't current or past member is hardly the point.

The trouble is exactly as Bouillabaisse indicates. Many republican politicians have convictions for terrorist offences and, whilst I empathise entirely with radioactivemans sentiments expressed above, the peace process is not going to move forward if people who have renounced terrorism are excluded from political appointments. A bitter pill for many of us, but realpolitik nonetheless.

9. Hmm... making Henry Morgan the governor of Jamaica was a smart move so maybe this will be equally as good. Meaning perhaps he will be quick to isolate and eradicate the remaining yahoos who have a bent towards violence.

10. Renouncing terrorism does not absolve the Provo bitch of her crimes.

Nor does the peace process absolve other freed terrorist vermin from their murders and their guilt.

The breathtaking hypocrisy of new labour knows no bounds.

11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I wonder if a UK police force would actually appoint a convicted child molester to the top of their ranks (even though they'd paid their debt to society). Perhaps our glorious parliamentarians would like to give myra hindley an early release, and seeing as she's done her time, perhaps she could be leader of the house.

Just because you claim to have an excuse, or mitigating circumstances for blowing up town centres, killing women, children, old men, shooting kids in the back of the knees and all those other jolly japes, does not necessarily mean that the method you used to air those grievences was the right one.

I don't like Tony Blair, I despise the labour party for 10 years of mismanagement and destruction. I feel he has sold out the union, he has sold out our sovereignty to the EU, he's brought in Stalinist laws that destroy our privacy and freedoms, he has given in to terrorists, he has given in to Iranian hostage takers, he's sent many of our troops to their deaths on a pointless war and lied to the British people in order to do it.

Now, if this isn't reason enough to start an insurgency and start blowing up town centres, I don't fecking know what is. Now perhaps if I did this, Mr Bliar might invite me to join the government. How insane, how wrong.

Please note: I do not advocate armed struggle against opression in the UK as this would be treasonous, punishable by being made childrens minister, or promotion to a police board or even worse, an invitation to parliament.

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I don't like Tony Blair, I despise the labour party for 10 years of mismanagement and destruction. I feel he has sold out the union, he has sold out our sovereignty to the EU, he's brought in Stalinist laws that destroy our privacy and freedoms, he has given in to terrorists, he has given in to Iranian hostage takers, he's sent many of our troops to their deaths on a pointless war and lied to the British people in order to do it.

.[/quote]

I agree with all the above, except it was Margaret Thatcher who signed the Single European Act, which gave away our sovereignty and citizenship. Whilst pretending to give them a 'handbagging'. She taught the hypocrites in power now all they ever needed to learn.

13. Biped, stand for parliament, I'll vote for you!

14. Catholic does not equal Republican, just as the Marxist-Leninist INLA can hardly be referred to as Catholic terrorists. Sloppy language, sloppy thinking or do you think all Cat'licks are dangerous Fenians? It is just that the wife is due home at five and I need to know where I stand...

A large proportion of those playing Republican politics in Ulster today are riding a bow-wave of terrorism, however intimately they may be involved in the mechanics of it. Bona fide "heros of the struggle" like Ms Anderson are heaven sent because they have been sheep-dipped in the "justice system" and thus expunged of their guilt and associations - in some eyes.