'Terrorist Attack in UK Inevitable'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bert, Mar 16, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How prepared do you think we are? Not the civil contingency plans, not our security services - but psychologically?

2. Well with a fair few decades of Northern Irish terrorism, this poll is a bit odd

3. Monkeys quite right on that point. Nothing really new for the UK, is it ? Unless the attack is NBC, only then it takes on a new meaning.

4. I considered that before posting. I take your point on IRT completely, but believe the question is still a valid one in its own right.

5. Depends on too many factors, but most people trained for such state of affairs would be****ed, let alone you average Joe. Safe to say it wouldn't be pretty.

6. The bottom line is that no one can really prepare for such an eventuality and even those amongst us that try still believe it will never happen to us...otherwise we would have all built Ned Flanders style bomb shelters in our back yards.

The emergency services will inevitably react when called upon to do so but Joe Public will never be psycologically prepared for the carnage of bomb blasts on the scale of Madrid or somethuing like the twin towers.......

...unless you live in Liverpool.

7. Quite frankly ...I hope they hit Ken Livingston and his hideous building. :twisted:

8. Oy!

Fairdoos 'Who Killed Kenny.' But some of us live nearby you know!

9. I dont think the public in general is prepared for such an occurance and the emergency services/civil defence are definatly not prepared. OK so we have N.I to draw experience from, but that is in no where near the same league as we are talking about. A few bombs go off round london we can handle but a 747 crashing into parliament square or Buck palace? Or god forbid a dirty bomb somewhere public or a bio/chem attack in the underground (Which i think is the more likely at this stage) like the Sarin attack in tokyo?
    I think it is best to get out our spoons and start digging!

Is anyone really prepared??????

10. The IRA references are valid but when was the last time a major device went off on the UK mainland? I suspect many of the plans that used to exist have fallen into some sort of unpractised disrepair.

The circumstances of 'the next one' will be different to anything we've had before.

No 'cosy' telephone code word warnings, probably multiple devices, placed to cause maximum carnage (casualties).

London is a prime target because of its perceived PR value to terrorists. There has been some preparation but you can't really prepare for this sort of act. If its NBC god help us all because there is very little prep and even less kit.

11. Ref my earlier post. When you have a Publicity junkie like Livingston in charge, I predict the aftermath of an attack on London will be absolute confusion and non joined -up efforts of undertrained emergency services. Followed by a high level inquiry by some American, loads of "lessons learnt" that will never be acted upon. It will also give them an excuse to raise council tax by another 50%

I have no faith that that the emergency services in London could cope with any level of attack. Running evacuation exercises on the Tube is one thing but what is needed in professional training and exercises in disaster management, run by the Armed forces at a place like Shrivenham.

When it happens, the public will be appalled at how poorly prepared we are.

But it should provide plenty of photo opportunties for Mad Ken.

12. It seems to me that the majority of Londoners are of the opinion that they will carry on regardless and not let the terrorists win.

I have heard plenty of people stating that London is well prepared due to the IRA bombing campaign all those years ago. I do not think that the civillian population realises how different an AQ attack on London would be when compared with the IRA.

No part of the UK would cope well with an AQ attack, it will definately not be pretty.

Interestingly on last nights London news the Fire Brigade were complaining that after 9/11 the government had promised them additional equipment / training etc, to date nothing has been received.

Any Fire blokes got an opinion ??

13. It would be nice to think that when the inevitable happens that the British public will react with stoicism and a quiet determination that the terrorists will never win.

Unfortunately after Princess Diana's death we have become used to the public spectacle of much wailing, gnashing of teeth and beating of breasts. The media will cast around to blame some hapless copper who despite trying to do his job doesn't have the funding to support him. A year later everyone who saw the scenes on TV will claim that they have PTSD and receive huge payouts (from the taxpayer).

The Government will announce a review of security and intelligence that will blame everyone but the extremists responsible. They will then appoint Mandelson as Minister of Security and announce draconic (but unworkable) laws to combat terrorism.

The only winners in this would seem to be Interflora, Clinton cards and teddy bear manufacturers. Time to buy some shares I think.

14. Terrorist incidents on an 11th September or Madrid scale clearly exceed our experience. The Blitz may compare on body counts but there was some warning, a chance to get to shelter and The Few of Crab Air (respect) were up there. Terrorism is more uncertain and deliberately vicious.

Could we cope? I don’t think I’m giving the terrorists any ideas here, they’ll have thought of it. Have our masters and emergency planners?

A series of co-ordinated attacks on key locations across the country would have a devastating physcological and 'strategic' effect. A large hospital, a supermarket, water pumping station, power generation or distribution, railway station, bridge on an arterial road. Emergency services get knocked out by secondary devices (police found and disarmed them in Madrid). Everyone is afraid to move. CivPol are overwhelmed and call on Armed Forces to ‘Aid the Civil Power’. Are there enough of us (not overseas on General Bliar's crusades) regulars, reservists, pensioners of recall age? Will those ex Servicemen/women with no recall liability suddenly find themselves back in uniform anyway? ( It'll probably be necessary and preferable to arming traffic wardens :wink: ) What about kit and transport?

The Government would be telling us not to jump to conclusions in blaming Al-Qaeda. It may be an animal liberation movement or the flip side, disenfranchised fox hunters.

CIVIL LIBERTIES! :roll: Stopping and searching, can’t go there, out of bounds, no squaddie is telling me what to do…..etc. Eastenders is cancelled…… if you still have power to work the TV.

Muslims and foreigners/citizens of non European appearance would suffer, without regard to their loyalties. Further chaos for the police to deal with as rioting kicks off in the ‘ghettos’. In the knock on, racial disharmony would spread to other countries.

We are a sitting duck. :(