Terror Threat Level

The deputy chairman of Parliament's joint committee on intelligence and security, Anthony Byrne has been privately warning parliamentary colleagues on both sides for the past month of the need to raise the terror threat over Christmas.

"On the basis of recent events both here in Australia and overseas, and provided the information that the Prime Minister spoke about was sound and accurate there is a strong case to raise the terror threat to extreme as quickly as possible," he said.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott says there has been a "heightened level of terror chatter" in the wake of the Martin Place siege but has resisted raising the terrorism threat level.

Fortunately our terror threat levels are not decided on rumour, or we would forever be on 'Severe'.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Not sure the The deputy chairman of Parliament's joint committee on intelligence and security relies upon rumour.
He's a politician, he relies on fibbing. Dunno how real any perceived threat is, something similar Sydney or the Ottawa incident is always going to be on the cards. A 9/11, 7/7 or Madrid is harder to plan and execute, they only need to get lucky once sure enough but 'they' are concentrating on more pressing issues just now in Syria, Iraq and Yemen.

The deputy chairman of Parliament's joint committee on intelligence and security, Anthony Byrne has been privately warning parliamentary colleagues on both sides for the past month of the need to raise the terror threat over Christmas.

"On the basis of recent events both here in Australia and overseas, and provided the information that the Prime Minister spoke about was sound and accurate there is a strong case to raise the terror threat to extreme as quickly as possible," he said.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott says there has been a "heightened level of terror chatter" in the wake of the Martin Place siege but has resisted raising the terrorism threat level.

cheers kieth, I'll sleep easy now.

Tell you what mate? Why not take a few days off from updating us? it's Christmas after all

Australia is literally crawling with beasties and animals that just lie in wait ready to pounce on you, bite you, sting you, poison you, kill you, shag you and then eat you... and what happens? The Aussies start worrying about a few terrorists.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Been on severe here since I was eleven. Bar still open and the bin men left on Wednesday morning.

Australia is literally crawling with beasties and animals that just lie in wait ready to pounce on you, bite you, sting you, poison you, kill you, shag you and then eat you... and bumhole? The Aussies start worrying about a few terrorists.

fixed, philthy phil will cover my tab

Australia trying to get on the world stage and prove they've got "Muslim issues" as well now.

Not sure the The deputy chairman of Parliament's joint committee on intelligence and security relies upon rumour.
If you understood the process, it would make your life less stressful.

Terror threat levels seems to go high before the government tries to pass some draconian law curtailing people's freedom.

I was noticing that Australia is all of a sudden the terrorist victim of choice. Maybe because they want to join the Gold Rush about to start again in the ME.

alib

LE
The terror level in N.I. has been maxed out for the last few years. It's still rated by various international agencies as scariest place in Europe for terrorism. Very little actually happens here anymore and lets face it historically there is really bugger all going on in terms of terrorism in Europe or the US.

If you look at the last few year annual reports the realized threats in the West are mostly separatists and neo-Nazis not the much hyped beards. I'm getting really tired of "security professionals" gibbering about how unprecedentedly dangerous things are when there heaps of open source evidence that its been rather calm.

In reality Belfast is safer than downtown San Francisco let alone Oakland and folk mostly moan about house prices and "flegs". We do know what real terrorism looks like here and this is not it, this is pretty near to peace by our standards. Yet the 6C is flashing on red for Interpol.

We need to stop this hyped up nonsense with the cowering before the streetlight of death terror levels and have a proper sliding scale from 0-100, 100 being bright red Raqqa, 0 being dull green Tokyo or Berne.

Belfast is probably one of the risker spots for propaganda by deed in Europe at the moment. Let's rate it at about 25 at the moment, Sydney 12, London 20, NYC 8, Tel Aviv 45, Beirut 60, Karachi 75, Baghdad 85.

I was just reporting what was said in the press, not making comment upon it.

Merry Christmas, seasons greetings and all that....
Ah, the press, the virtuous fourth estate. Back at ya!

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
I think our threat level to be increased to "Keep the public perpetually scared at generic and vague persistent threats, thus allowing us to erode their privacies and at the same time allowing us to meddle in affairs overseas - which will allow the defence industry to prosper and thus increase revenues".

Unfortunately this doesn't really have a one word catchphrase 'cool' ring to it.

Latest Threads