• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Terror suspects Iraq kidnap plea

#1
:? I can't work this one out, what's his motivation for this?

From BBC news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4506970.stm

A terror suspect held in a British jail has made a video appeal for the release of Briton Norman Kember, taken hostage with three others in Iraq last month.

...The terror suspect said on the video: "I am your brother Abu Qatada, Omar bin Mahmud Abu Omar, who is imprisoned in Full Sutton jail in Britain.

"I urge my brothers in the Brigades of Swords of Right in Iraq to release them in line with the principle of mercy of our religion, if there was no compelling religious duty against it."

Qatada, described by a Spanish judge as al-Qaeda's ambassador in Europe, was briefly released under a control order earlier this year before being re-arrested facing deportation to Jordan.
 
#2
What sort of deal has he struck with the CPS? It could be what is driving him.
 
#5
Frankly I don't give a damn what his incentive is. If it stops the hostages being killed , it's all to the good.
 
#6
PartTimePongo said:
Frankly I don't give a damn what his incentive is. If it stops the hostages being killed , it's all to the good.
I couldn't agree more, hopefully they will be influenced more by one of their own.
 
#7
One thing puzzles me though.....

Why haven't the Government made more of a noise that we actually appear to have in our possession a bonafide , 110%, 24 carat badmash for a change?
 
#8
PartTimePongo said:
One thing puzzles me though.....

Why haven't the Government made more of a noise that we actually appear to have in our possession a bonafide , 110%, 24 carat badmash for a change?
Because it goes against the current media trend?
 
#9
PsyWar.Org said:
PartTimePongo said:
Frankly I don't give a damn what his incentive is. If it stops the hostages being killed , it's all to the good.
I couldn't agree more, hopefully they will be influenced more by one of their own.
That is if the Brigades of Swords of Right in Iraq is an Al-Qaeda front and not a front for a bunch of ex-Baathists.
I personally think Qatada is making this appeal as noted cleric and enemy of the British State. If it was Al Qaeda, I just feel that we would have heard more from this group.
 
#10
There seems something a little strange about the message to me.

What does "if there was no compelling religious duty against it" supposed to mean? And why mention the name of the jail, there doesn't seem any necessity to.
 
#11
Mentioning the jail to confirm he is who he says he is. Court records and such like that are in the public domain. As for the other sh!t he spouted, I've no idea.
 
#12
PsyWar.Org said:
There seems something a little strange about the message to me.

What does "if there was no compelling religious duty against it" supposed to mean? And why mention the name of the jail, there doesn't seem any necessity to.
Because Kember in Qatada's eyes is not an invader or supporter of those who would occupy Islamic land. Therefore there is no obligation or fard ‘ayn to attack someone like Kember and so fight against the inavder. On the jail, I don't think it's that a big secret, it's not like Full Sutton is good enough to be a secret CIA jail :wink:
 
#13
castlereagh said:
PsyWar.Org said:
There seems something a little strange about the message to me.

What does "if there was no compelling religious duty against it" supposed to mean? And why mention the name of the jail, there doesn't seem any necessity to.
Because Kember in Qatada's eyes is not an invader or supporter of those who would occupy Islamic land. Therefore there is no obligation or fard ‘ayn to attack someone like Kember and so fight against the inavder. On the jail, I don't think it's that a big secret, it's not like Full Sutton is good enough to be a secret CIA jail :wink:
Ah OK I get it now, I was mistakenly reading it more like "unless you have a higher religious reason not to release them" :oops:

Thanks castlereagh for putting me straight.
 

Latest Threads

Top