Terror suspect facing extradition

edited because I posted it twice :oops: can only plead massive hangover

Two more stages to go through here before any trial in USA - he has two weeks to lodge an appeal for habeus corpus in the Div Court - then could go to the House of lords

:(

roxygirl said:
Well it's already been agreed that we won't seek the death penalty for him.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156758,00.html

So now it's just the trial. He could get life in prison or some degree of that or he could be freed.
Without that agreement it'd never have got this far, as we don’t extradite to countries that impose the death penalty without an assurance it'd be waived in the case.

What's the ruling under which a prisoner can apply to serve his sentence in his home country? Would it apply here? Why not just have the whole trial here if so.

Beebs

Trial (if and when he is extradited) will be in USA because they have requested his extradition. Under the treaty we are under an obligation to act for USA in court as long as the request is lawful.

Sentence is another matter entirely - don't know much about that side of it.

Which leads quite nicely to this case..

Terrorist to be extradited to Cuba?

I am sure the fact hat it was only Godless Commies that were killed, and Florida is a key state that has a large and vociferous anti-Castro Cuban vote will in no way effect proceedings.. :roll:

Let's hope he never sees the light of day again. Monstrous crime. I didn't even know you could buy shell-suits anymore, let alone in green and yellow. He deserves to die. Immediately.

Iqbal Sacranie, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: "If our government has any evidence of wrongdoing on the part of Babar Ahmad then he should be charged in this country and put on trial here."
First of all many there (including me) think that this Babar Ahmad is son of ... mm ... his mother. But justice is justice.

1. If he violated British laws then the trial should be namely in the UK.
2. If he hasn't violated British laws then what is a ground for his extradiction?

No doubt that many Britons violate N.Korean laws but I doubt that anybody would be extradicted.

Interesting bit in the BBC item about how we aim to expedite extraditions without a prima facie case against the suspect from the merkins. However, it doesn't work the other way. If we want a merkin we must have a prima facie case against them.
I have no sympathy with this toerag but it's just typical of the sh1t that b-liar and his gang have been doing to us in the name of terror since 9/11. We should not give up our citizens to other countries on lesser terms than they give up theirs to us.

I believe that he was indicted to the US so that means that he would face trial in the US because that's where the crime was committed from.

Normally if there is a chance in venue, it's dependent upon such factors like how much stronger in the case in the US vs in the UK depending upon the different laws, what the conviction rate and what the sentencing would be on the prosecution side.

Obviously for the defendent, he would want the lower conviction rates and lower sentencing place.

I don't believe that the US would allow him to serve his sentence in the UK although there can be exceptions but if you're convicted in the US, you serve your time there.

We don't have anything like St Helena like you did with Napoleon. :wink:

roxygirl said:
I don't believe that the US would allow him to serve his sentence in the UK although there can be exceptions but if you're convicted in the US, you serve your time there.
Prisoner Transfer Agreements (PTAs) allow British prisoners to serve the remaining part of their sentence in the UK. This process is also known as repatriation. Agreements are in place with the following states:

Albania Andorra Antigua/Barbuda Armenia Australia Austria Bahamas Barbados Belgium Bermuda Brazil Canada Chile Croatia Costa Rica Cuba Bulgaria Czech Republic Denmark Egypt Estonia Finland France Georgia Germany Gibraltar Greece Grenada Hong Kong Hungary Iceland Italy Israel Japan Luxembourg Lithuania Liechtenstein Macedonia Malawi Malta Mauritius Morocco Netherlands Norway Panama Peru Poland Portugal Rep of Ireland Romania Slovakia Spain Sri Lanka Sweden Switzerland Thailand Trinidad/Tobago Turkey Tonga Ukraine Venezuela Zimbabwe

The following states in the USA:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Texas Utah Virginia Washington Wisconsin Wyoming (Northern Mariana Islands)

Agreements are signed but not yet in force with:

Dominican Rep Guyana Suriname
http://www.prisonersabroad.org.uk/publications/Prisoner_transfer.pdf

Which State is he set to stand trial in?

Beebs

Connecticut

He had ISPs in Connecticut and Nevada and was setting up a terrorist camp in Arizona but I think that the US attorney wants to try him in Connecticut although he might not want to go back to the UK because according his lawyers, he got abused there.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,128242,00.html

Anyways he still would have to approved to be transferred.

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/oeo/progrm.htm

Considering his abuseclaim, I don't know which might be the lesser of two evils for him.

roxygirl said:
He had ISPs in Connecticut and Nevada and was setting up a terrorist camp in Arizona but I think that the US attorney wants to try him in Connecticut although he might not want to go back to the UK because according his lawyers, he got abused there.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,128242,00.html

Anyways he still would have to approved to be transferred.

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/oeo/progrm.htm

Considering his abuseclaim, I don't know which might be the lesser of two evils for him.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

UK prisons seem to be a holiday camp compared to the US system.

The HO and FCO receive more claims of brutality from US based UK citizens within the prison system than for Jamaica (pre cap. of the UK prison population held in both of these systems) and, although I've not seen the exact number transferring from the UK to the US it would seem, in reports to be minimal, admittedly could be due to trials being set in the US on their return.

Beebs

Not quite sure about the abuse claim but then he may be wanting some sympathy.

Yep, we have the chain gangs in the US and stuff like that. :wink:

Either way, hopefully he'll have his day in court and justice is done.

Although it might have been interesting to see the difference, the sad reality that we probably will see more cases like him and be debating it all over again.

hup-two-three said:
Interesting bit in the BBC item about how we aim to expedite extraditions without a prima facie case against the suspect from the merkins. However, it doesn't work the other way. If we want a merkin we must have a prima facie case against them.
I have no sympathy with this toerag but it's just typical of the sh1t that b-liar and his gang have been doing to us in the name of terror since 9/11. We should not give up our citizens to other countries on lesser terms than they give up theirs to us.
So does this mean we can expect to get all those 'Closet Terrorists' (AKA Noraid Supporters/Contributors) running around NY and Washington in a British Court... c*nts paid for many a good colleagues premature passing both in the Province, UK Mainland and Germany :cry: and a high majority knew exactly what they were doing/paying for when they handed over their soon to be blood stained dollars :evil:

Don’t get me wrong here, I don’t support this tw*t Babar Ahmad or his ideals in any way, shape or form, he should go on trial and when convicted deserves all that comes his way. And 911 was both an atrocity that deserved a full on reaction from the free world and a disaster that should never had happened.

Terrorism is totally unacceptable, no matter what. And we have a duty to our fellow man to eradicate it, wherever it occurs and whoever funds it.

But doesn’t it just smack of double standards a wee bit? Many citizens of that fine country (including more than one member of the Govt) actively supported an armed uprising in OUR country, even going so far as to gloat and party when one of OUR colleagues became yet another victim.

Well I for one would like to see Noraid contributors on trial here for supporting/funding the murder of UK Citizens. I'm sure 'Conspiracy to Commit Murder' would be a good starter.... Of course that is only a pipe dream because the IRA were 'Freedom Fighters' and not murdering scum terrorists... yeah right.

Ok rant over... hang the tw*t.