Terror level in UK raised to severe

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whiskybreath, Jan 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...and here's the link to the Grauniad article, which reads:

The threat to the UK from international terrorism was tonight raised from substantial to severe - meaning an attack is "highly likely".

Home secretary Alan Johnson said although the threat had increased, there was no intelligence to suggest an attack was imminent.
    He said: "The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre has today raised the threat to the UK from international terrorism from substantial to severe.
    "This means that a terrorist attack is highly likely, but I should stress that there is no intelligence to suggest than an attack is imminent.
    "JTAC keeps the threat level under constant review and makes its judgments based on a broad range of factors, including the intent and capabilities of international terrorist groups in the UK and overseas."

What the terror threat levels mean

• Low - an attack is unlikely

• Moderate - an attack is possible, but not likely

• Substantial - an attack is a strong possibility

• Severe - an attack is highly likely

• Critical - an attack is expected imminently

So. There's no Intelligence to suggest that an attack is imminent, yet the likelihood of an attack has gone from 'a strong possibility' to 'highly likely'.

You'd think that the fuck-up over dodgy dossiers would have taught these silly shits to avoid spin and doublespeak in these matters. This is merely another indication that they're way, way up shit creek and their paddle has dissolved. Yes, I know that committees frequently decide to warn the public that they've had a brainfart, and can't release the information on which it's based (see most OSAC warnings), but there are forms of words which can be used which make them look less like the prats they are, and give us confidence that the security of the nation is in sound hands.

Too late now, of course.

2. An attack by Whom? Surely not Muslims! They are very nice people according to many on here.

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Fucking New Labour what are they trying to hide behind this smoke screen?

4. Same sh1t different day. I wonder what is coming up that we need distracting from.

5. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Its a con. They know nothing, do nothing, are just groping around blind.

Remember, the day before the 7/7 attacks, the threat level to the UK was downgraded. Ever since then they have been playing smoke and mirrors games. They know something is going on, 'chatter' is probably increasing, but other than that......nowt most likely.

6. Nothing coming up, but probably some new anti-'terror' legislation they need to scare us into thinking we need.

7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Well Im of to the V&A tomorrow so they can fcuk off with their plots to blow tubes up.

8. JTAC don't have a great track record; they down-graded the Threat Level a few weeks before 7/7 because, according to them, "No group in the UK currently has the intention and the ability to carry out a terrrorist attack."

Having said that, it's just a matter of time before Al Queda or whatever they are calling themselves this week get a good one in. It's a question of when and how bad it will be.

The cynical part of me wonders if this is the Princess of Darkness laying the groundwork for a "national emergancy" that will give Brown the excuse to cancel the general election...

"Quartermaster - one XL Tinfoil Hat, please!"

9. "Remember, the day before the 7/7 attacks, the threat level to the UK was downgraded"

Only downgraded because they had moved thousands of Met officers to Gleneagles to cover the G8 Conference, and were under criticism from the public for reducing security in London during a high security alert while the conference was in progress, so St Tony lowered the threat level. The rest, as they say, is history.....

10. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Anyway, we all know this is just garbage deflecting attention away from how fcuked we are on this sorry little Island. If they fool us into thinking that they are 'protecting us', maybe it won't be such a landslide in May, eh Cyclops?

11. And this situation will repeat itself, only in reverse, when the rest of the country is stripped of coppers to support the Met during the 2012 Olympics. :roll:

Although I doubt we'll have to wait two years before someone takes a lot of civilians with him on the Magic Carpet to Paradise... :evil:

12. Fcuk me, V for Vendetta coming true. Happy days. Down with the bastards 8O

13. I'm sorry, Tony and Gordon won't be able to attend the Chilcot enquiry. Security and all that...threat level is just too high...awfuly sorry old thing.

14. I'm very sorry, but Gordon can't possibly hold an election during this period of heightened tension. The period may last indefinately. He is the man to deal with this new threat. No other person will do. End of discussion. Get back in your box! :)

15. Fcuk me you are cynical, must admit it had crossed my mind too.