Terror Attacks in Europe

Given what happened today, I think you may be misrepresenting a lot of MPs, or how much they value(d) their own skin.

The Speaker of the House is demanding that police give close protection to every MP. That's what, north of 600, not counting Ministers who already have their own CP teams? I would like to think the response of senior police officers would be along the lines of,

"Jog on. You lot have been cutting us to the bone for years. Every time we warned you we didn't have enough resources and manpower, you told us to stop whinging and do more with less. Well, that loud rustling sound you're hearing? That's the BFO flock of chickens coming home to roost".

However, given they are spunking £200 Million up the wall and having 10,000 coppers stag on each day to protect the Eating Out Greta Thunberg World Championship, I suspect they'll do exactly what they're told. And the police's ability to carry out their core duties - as opposed to Richard Madden Walting - will be further reduced.

I stand corrected
No really
British Somaliland is now known as Somaliland
The people in Somaliland are quite vehement that they are not part of Somalia. It apparently has a tribal sort of government. The wife of a man I worked with was naturalised US citizen who had a baby early while visiting her mother. Huge mess as there was no government agency to issue birth certificates so she was trapped there. Finally, thanks to the intervention of a member of the Congress, the US State Dept sent an official based in Kenya across the border and he issued the baby girl a US birth certificate and passport.

Last edited:
HMS Furious actually

Yep, as originally designed during WWI, so well pre-dating the IJN's Yamato-class, was to have had a main battery of 2 x single 18 inch guns. Those guns were eventually mounted on Lord Clive-class monitors.

And it's officially a terrorist incident.

BBC News - Sir David Amess killing was terrorist incident, say police

And will it change anything?

Nope - not a thing.

We need to get to the root of the problem, not focussing on how a man with a knife could so easily stab and murder an MP like this, but what we should be doing to those who are deemed to pose any form of Islamist terror threat to anyone in our society.

And it's officially a terrorist incident.

BBC News - Sir David Amess killing was terrorist incident, say police

giphy (46).gif

And will it change anything?

Nope - not a thing.

We need to get to the root of the problem, not focussing on how a man with a knife could so easily stab and murder an MP like this, but what we should be doing to those who are deemed to pose any form of Islamist terror threat to anyone in our society.
The scale of the problem is too large to be robustly tackled, in the government's view (I am estimating what the government's view is. Not this government but all governments).
The government / establishment is hoping that, over time, support for Jihadism will lessen as the UK's Muslims become more Western in outlook; more understanding of our traditions [I'm not saying that - I'm saying what the govt hopes will happen].
The alternative - that parts of the UK are being Balkanised/Ulsterised as communities live apart - isn't confronted. Partly that's because the Establishment doesn't experience the issues. Partly it is (correctly) because actively confronting Jihadism - as opposed to dealing with the consequences - would turn parts of the mainland into areas where the military would need to run Military Aid to the Civil Power/COIN. That is, pushing back at Jihadism (and the resulting high level of arrests/convictions) would further polarise attitudes and - as happened in Ulster in the late 60s/early 70s - would push people towards militancy {I know that's a gross simplification of events in Ulster but trying to keep the post short}.
There are major flaws in not tackling Jihadism more assertively. But, as in France, it is a fact that the Muslim community is a large one; that it is growing; and that it will play an increasingly important role in the UK, particularly politically.
I don't know what the answer is. But I do understand why HMG would wish to avoid a more assertive approach to the issue.

Last edited:
I've just learnt about the Stephen Timms stabbing - I was living out of teh UK then and it don't recall it even popping up on the BBC World News at the time.

How come this one never get's talked about yet the woman, Cox, was splashed everywhere?
one was seriously injured but the other was killed. But let's face it. The media enjoys condemning loony white supremacists, highlighting the all-too-obvious incompatibility of islam with western liberalism, not so much.

Last edited:
@Red Hander

I think I have recommended many times this report, which appears to grow more foresighted with time.

Your description of Balkanisation, I think you would find this interesting.

Thank you for posting that. It is interesting reading (particularly the section on the Somali diaspora, which is of course linked to yesterday's events).

The part which summarised the situation in the UK is a concern. The challenge is formidable and (at the time the paper was written) the response not effective. The paper noted that the diversity policy had helped create a greater awareness of (my words) 'Muslimness', which is a factor in the growth of Jihadism here.

It is interesting that one of the solutions to Jihadism (integration) is itself a driver for extremism; the guilt associated with moving away from traditional Muslim values / culture bring exploited to recruit.

Thank you for posting that. It is interesting reading (particularly the section on the Somali diaspora, which is of course linked to yesterday's events).

The part which summarised the situation in the UK is a concern. The challenge is formidable and (at the time the paper was written) the response not effective. The paper noted that the diversity policy had helped create a greater awareness of (my words) 'Muslimness', which is a factor in the growth of Jihadism here.

It is interesting that one of the solutions to Jihadism (integration) is itself a driver for extremism; the guilt associated with moving away from traditional Muslim values / culture bring exploited to recruit.
You are not going to fit in around here, all that reading and thinking.

You are not going to fit in around here, all that reading and thinking.
I just think we need to confront the situation we face, not where we'd like to be. Immigration has happened and the country needs to deal with it.
On the 'police gone soft' thread, some posters bemoan, for example, seeing female Muslim police officers wearing headscarves. That's actually part of the solution to Jihadism - and incidentally as likely to upset Jihadis as our right wing. The solution to Jihadism lies in a form of cultural 'live and let live'. The flaw in that approach is the many examples people can point to of the negative impact of some parts of immigrant communities, which creates scepticism about live and let live ever working. Hopefully calm heads will prevail.

I deliver pizza to your house, your phone number is in my phone.

My phone is under investigation as I am a terrorist pizza delivery driver.

Your number is now "known to the security services" as you are a contact of mine.

Low enough bar?
In your very specific example, Yes. Just this once.

In your very specific example, Yes. Just this once.

The old NI system of assessment used to rely (mostly) on the Rule of 3s: if 2 or more were seen together 3 times, they were 'Known to each other'.

More than 3= an Associate/Associated of/with and, thus, worthy of a higher level of interest..

6 or more=Sighting/activity reports of these people were warmly welcomed by . . . errm . . . higher formations.

Known to the security services might just mean they were at the wrong place at the wrong time and got checked out

I'm sure I'm down as harmless as I get through security clearance a lot faster than would be considered normal just because of that

It doesn't always mean they really are a potential terrorist
Presumably if you have SC then technically you are "known to the security services".

Presumably if you have SC then technically you are "known to the security services".

Good point, and if you have to be cleared to live with someone because of their job you will be known too

Lots of innocent reasons out there

Given what happened today, I think you may be misrepresenting a lot of MPs, or how much they value(d) their own skin.

I'm sure we can find a few that do, like this creature
2_Claudia-WebbePNG.png

and of course this person who thinks tory's are scum

angela-rayner-labour-mp-for-ashton-under-lyne-shadow-education-at-picture-id1176305968

Slime

LE
I'm sure we can find a few that do, like this creature
2_Claudia-WebbePNG.png

and of course this person who thinks tory's are scum

angela-rayner-labour-mp-for-ashton-under-lyne-shadow-education-at-picture-id1176305968

Serious reply.
I know your top pic is a bit blurred, but to me, EVERY pic of Webbe looks like it’s been photoshopped ;)

Latest Threads