Terror Attacks in Europe

Doesn't Counter Terrorism Command have some sort of jurisdiction/responsibility when it comes to investigations relating to parliament and MPs? I have a vague recollection that they might do (or is that just the parliamentary estate? I forget - obviously) in terms of looking into possible political corruption, etc. Or I might be making that up...

In any event, one imagines that if the suspect might have some ideological reason for launching an attack, CT Command would be involved as a matter of course to establish whether its terror-related or a (genuine) lunatic. If the suspect is from overseas, whether he's an adherent of the creed of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Thor or Imhotep, you'd be a bit surprised if CT Command weren't having a look at it.

I've just learnt about the Stephen Timms stabbing - I was living out of teh UK then and it don't recall it even popping up on the BBC World News at the time.

How come this one never get's talked about yet the woman, Cox, was splashed everywhere?

Either a foreign spy ( unlikely in this case) or a suspected terrorist.

A quick search appears to suggest things are a bit more nuanced than we might assume.

"The rise in the Islamist extremist threat necessitated a response akin to an industrialisation of MI5’s approach to investigation. Since 2011, we have in place a formal triage process for incoming threat intelligence, a prioritisation system which is revisited regularly for adjustments according to the waxing and waning of risk and a higher level review process to set strategic priorities"

Within most investigations we also prioritise the subjects of interest we investigate. This is done through the allocation of ‘Tiers’ to SOIs. The Tier of an SOI within an investigation can change regularly depending on the importance of that individual.

Tiers reflect the position/importance of SOIs within the investigation that they are assigned to. This will help investigators manage their targets and support understanding of the investigation.
• Tier 1: Main targets of an investigation – targets will likely be involved in all aspects of the activities under investigation.
• Tier 2: Key contacts of the main targets – targets will likely be involved in a significant portion of the activities under investigation.
• Tier 3: Contact of Tier 1 and Tier 2 targets – targets will likely be involved in only marginal aspects of the activities under investigation.

ATTACKS IN LONDON AND MANCHESTER MARCH-JUNE 2017
INDEPENDENT ASSESSMENT OF MI5 AND POLICE INTERNAL REVIEWS

Annex 5 outlines the MI5 investigation process, including that -

"On receipt, new intelligence is tested for links to existing investigations and forwarded to the appropriate team where those links exist. Alternatively, where intelligence does not relate to existing investigations it is assessed for the nature and extent of national security risk, credibility, actionability and proportionality and a new lead or investigation is launched if appropriate. A Lead is the term to describe all intelligence or information that is not linked to an ongoing investigation that, following initial assessment, suggests activities of National Security (NS) interest requiring investigation by MI5 and CT Police. Investigations are given a priority according to the risk they carry".

So it would appear that there is a difference between being "known to security services" (as in 'mentioned and in the files somewhere') and a "Subject of Interest" (an active or previous counter-terrorism investigation).

As of May 2017 there were some 20,000 have been SOI's, and 3,000 "active SoI" across 500 investigations - but does not mention how many people are in the "known to security services" box.

I've just learnt about the Stephen Timms stabbing - I was living out of teh UK then and it don't recall it even popping up on the BBC World News at the time.

How come this one never get's talked about yet the woman, Cox, was splashed everywhere?

It was discussed quite extensively I seem to recall, because she had been a heavy viewer of Anwar Al-Awalaki material.

Or maybe it is just I tended to pay attention to that sort of thing.

Great dits too I'd guess.

Maybe amongst his mates in the PO's Mess .

I remember him as a bloke who only spoke when something needed saying. But his eyes were everywhere , he missed nothing.
He was always never far from, but not quite smiling.

He had joined as a boy, done the mast at HMS Ganges, been involved in some fun and games up the Yangtze, had two ships sunk under him, was on one of the ships relieving Malta, and his last job was to make sure Churchill got buried properly.

Oh yes, and he was Guns. So he spent much of his time involved with those huge turrets holding 3 or 4 16" barrels.
I got to experience (thanks to him ) an hour or so in the training turret at HMS Excellent.

It like a Chieftain tank on steroids

Exactly.

We need to lower the bar - if you're "known to the security services" - you're deported, or locked up.

I deliver pizza to your house, your phone number is in my phone.

My phone is under investigation as I am a terrorist pizza delivery driver.

Your number is now "known to the security services" as you are a contact of mine.

Low enough bar?

The cycle of violence we are in, or heading into, will comprise adherents of faiths, with a different cultural understanding to ours (see, knifing old men; blowing up children* at a concert) and those who will oppose them. As with Ulster, the state will regard the level of violence as 'acceptable' because the alternative is more than the state is prepared to confront. It is depressing because it is so bloody obvious, and was in the 50s, 60s, and more recently (see the 90s for the Somalian influx). Well meaning, do-gooding people deciding that others can pay the price of their good intentions.
I hope I word the next part clearly, but it is some politicians who enable those who oppose the UK to come here, and some who become victims of the same.
What a mess.

*children were victims in Ulster too, of course.

Exactly.

We need to lower the bar - if you're "known to the security services" - you're deported, or locked up.

Let's stop f****g around.

Known to the security services might just mean they were at the wrong place at the wrong time and got checked out

I'm sure I'm down as harmless as I get through security clearance a lot faster than would be considered normal just because of that

It doesn't always mean they really are a potential terrorist

Maybe amongst his mates in the PO's Mess .

I remember him as a bloke who only spoke when something needed saying. But his eyes were everywhere , he missed nothing.
He was always never far from, but not quite smiling.

He had joined as a boy, done the mast at HMS Ganges, been involved in some fun and games up the Yangtze, had two ships sunk under him, was on one of the ships relieving Malta, and his last job was to make sure Churchill got buried properly.

Oh yes, and he was Guns. So he spent much of his time involved with those huge turrets holding 3 or 4 16" barrels.
I got to experience (thanks to him ) an hour or so in the training turret at HMS Excellent.

It like a Chieftain tank on steroids
gi-1920w.jpg
Something like this...;)

That's pretty much it.

Regardless of how obvious the motive, the likelihood of it being someone not from our shores, RoP etc, the fact is the police have to carry out their investigation first.

It does no favours for the site at all when the usual suspects start spouting their clever "Alan's Snackbar" rubbish and casting assumptions about the "dinghy crossers", other than show anyone looking in, what a bunch of bigoted, presumptuous ignorant fools we permit to post here.

It's bad enough when MSM start trying to analyse the killer's motive etc, while the poor bloke's family (inc 5 children) are probably still reeling from their visit by the CNO earlier today.

Do yourselves a favour (to whom it may concern), resist posting if you've nothing constructive to add.

It will save a Mod having to ban you, and save you writing a "why am I on ROPs?" teary post later when the drink and drugs really begin to kick in.

Given that a bloke was arrested, tried and convicted because he posted a video of his girlfriend's Pug dog doing a, "Nazi salute", there can be real legal consequences for the wrong type of post. Both for the actual posters and the site itself.

Slime

LE
Given the value MP's place on their own skin, I'm surprised they haven't demanded a UK version of the Secret Service.

Given what happened today, I think you may be misrepresenting a lot of MPs, or how much they value(d) their own skin.

Latest Threads