• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Terror attacks in Europe in 2018

My bold from the footage shown of the arrest it looked as though he had a gun and was pointing it at the Police, even if it was a replica doing such a thing after his murderous rampage, he should have been shot dead.

Mind you if he was one of the RoP nutters that are prone to this sort of lunacy, it would have been what he wanted, to become a "martyr". Still shooting the c**t would save Canada the cost of keeping him in prison for the next umpteen years and ensured he can never do it again.
It was a phone, but it is pretty clear his intent was to get the police to shoot him.

My bold from the footage shown of the arrest it looked as though he had a gun and was pointing it at the Police, even if it was a replica doing such a thing after his murderous rampage, he should have been shot dead.
The police in Toronto are not shy when it comes to shooting people, but the policeman in question undoubtedly had a better view of things than we do and knew there was no gun involved.

Mind you if he was one of the RoP nutters that are prone to this sort of lunacy, it would have been what he wanted, to become a "martyr". Still shooting the c**t would save Canada the cost of keeping him in prison for the next umpteen years and ensured he can never do it again.
He will very likely be classed as a dangerous offender after conviction and not be released ever.

I have long thought it best to refrain from jumping in with both feet, to avoid landing head first.
Touche, though when the authorities start talking about 'communities and diversity' after one of these incidents itis virtually always an indicator the the religion of peace and tollerance has been at it again.

If as seems to be the case he's part of the mismatched flipflops and a teacosy for a hat community I wait with bated breath for the great and good telling us that the real meaning of wibble is 'peace' and lauding the enriching and vibrant contribution drooling mentalists have made to Canadian society.

Alek Minassian was briefly a member of the Canadian Forces (military) last year. Toronto van attack suspect Alek Minassian was quickly in and out of Canadian Forces last fall | CBC News

He was 16 days into basic training before he got tossed out as unsuitable. Apparently he wasn't good at understanding and taking orders.
Alek Minassian, the suspect in Monday's van attack in Toronto, joined the Canadian Forces last August and got 16 days into his 13-week basic training before he asked to leave, according to a statement from the Department of National Defence.

But even in that short time — September to late October — Minassian made an impression at the military's leadership and recruit school in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que.

"He wasn't very good at taking direction," said fellow recruit Andrew Summerfield. "There was a lot of disciplinary action put towards Alek because he wouldn't understand something and they'd want him to do it, and then he wouldn't do it right."
He struggled to pass morning inspection, including folding his clothes and making his bed.
Summerfield told CBC News that Minassian struggled to pass morning inspections that involved folding his clothes properly and making his bed to military standards.
He had problems with dress, deportment, and interacting with other people.
A senior Canadian Forces official told CBC News about similar issues with Minassian, including dress, deportment and group interactions in a military setting.
He complained about military discipline.
He complained about his dislike of military discipline and was quickly judged an average or below-average recruit.
There was noting in his behaviour at that time though which suggested he would be involved in anything like what he ended up doing in Toronto.
But nothing during Minassian's time in training would have pointed to the potential of his involvement in Monday's rampage, according to the official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"He wasn't adapting to the military lifestyle," the official said. "There were no red flags and nothing that would point to anything like this."
He had no training with weapons when he was tossed out, which is no real surprise considering he only lasted 16 days.
He had had no weapons training by the time he was released, the official said.

Snip...The suspect by the name of Alek Minassian is a nutter who appears to have been motivated by being rejected by women. To be more specific, he didn't like that women turned him down when he asked them to shag him...snip
You're right. He apparently likes the misogynistic (and banned) "incel" Reddit group, the 'involuntarily celibate' bunch that wanted to "overthrow all the Chads and Stacys".

Basically they're nutters who hate women for not dating them and they aren't crazy about feminists either.
Toronto Police Detective Sergeant Graham Gibson said the victims were predominantly women.

The police in Toronto are not shy when it comes to shooting people, but the policeman in question undoubtedly had a better view of things than we do and knew there was no gun involved.

He will very likely be classed as a dangerous offender after conviction and not be released ever.
I wouldn't be too sure. A Canadian who knifed and decapitated a stranger on a bus was found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity. He spent several years in a loony bin, and has since been released.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't be too sure. A Canadian who knifed and decapitated a stranger on a bus was found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity. He spent several years in a loony bin, and has since been released.
People who stab and decapitate strangers on public transport tend not to be the most stable of human beings.

Maybe he really was mentally ill. It does happen, apparently.

His name suggests to me that he or his forbears came from Armenia. The Minassian ending to his surname is typically Armenian.

He was said to be a whizz-kid with computers, but was an oddball possessed of few interpersonal skills. He was reportedly unable to interact socially or to comprehend or comply with military discipline.

Looks to me like the R. Sigs missed out on an ideal Communication Systems Engineer.

Being classed as a dangerous offender is something that can only happen after conviction of a serious offence, and from what we have seen so far the current perpetrator is unlikely to be found unfit to stand trial.

...but the policeman in question undoubtedly had a better view of things than we do and knew there was no gun involved.
Sober professional on the spot and in the sunshine knows better than a drunk ARRSEr watching on the Internet in a darkened room 4000 miles away? Imagine the legions of ARRSE Members you have offended with that crass POV. Really.

People who stab and decapitate strangers on public transport tend not to be the most stable of human beings.

Maybe he really was mentally ill. It does happen, apparently.
People who drive a vehicle into a crowd tend not to be paragons of mental health either. I was pointing out that just because he's committed an extremely violent crime, it does not automatically follow that he will be locked up for a very long time.

Nice to see the 'community respresentative' desperate to shut up the whatever an abdul homeboy is called from pointing out it was a gang thing while there was a chance to squeal islamophobic terrorism...
My bold, possibly a "turf war" over the selling of drugs.