Terror attacks in Europe in 2018

I didn't realise Yonge was so long. The only bit of it I have been on is near the convention centre.

Watched a news clip on cbc.ca they described it as an attack but not confirmed as a terrorist attack. Presenter said US tend to be more forthcoming than Canada or European countries about such things, so speculate all you want but we will have to wait for the facts. Some crazy things have been going on in parts of Canada so I'm not making any assumptions. Commiserations to those affected.

Any attempts so far to search for the perps name come up with nonsense returns.
There seems to be a trend towards the suspect is being named as Alek Minassian, which is - apparently - an Armenian name.

One Toronto police source seems to have said something to the effect that Bratton is wrong - he wasn't known to them, but to police elsewhere [unspecified] and the concern wasn't terrorism, but a known unhealthy interest in killings at Isla Vista. There have been two serial murders at that location - one (pre-9/11) involved a vehicle being used; the driver was deemed insane) and the more notorious in 2014 was a proper unhinged 'I can't find a girlfriend and am going to make the world take notice of me' effort.

Maybe I've been in the US too long, but from what I could see, the suspect (that had just mowed over a shedload of people) was aiming his gat at the police officer. Even in the UK, aiming a weapon at an armed police officer is guaranteed to result in holes in your body.

I'm surprised the policeman didn't open fire.
Thanks for the feed link. That was very helpful. I note that the lady reporter's mascara had run which says something about the tragedy that words do not convey.

Maybe I've been in the US too long, but from what I could see, the suspect (that had just mowed over a shedload of people) was aiming his gat at the police officer. Even in the UK, aiming a weapon at an armed police officer is guaranteed to result in holes in your body.

I'm surprised the policeman didn't open fire.
Apparently the suspect was holding a phone. Someone posted a video that shows him pointing the phone at the cop like he's holding a gun. Looks like an attempt at suicide by cop.

There seems to be a trend towards the suspect is being named as Alek Minassian, which is - apparently - an Armenian name.

One Toronto police source seems to have said something to the effect that Bratton is wrong - he wasn't known to them, but to police elsewhere [unspecified] and the concern wasn't terrorism, but a known unhealthy interest in killings at Isla Vista. There have been two serial murders at that location - one (pre-9/11) involved a vehicle being used; the driver was deemed insane) and the more notorious in 2014 was a proper unhinged 'I can't find a girlfriend and am going to make the world take notice of me' effort.
Thanks for this. Although I knew Toronto is close to the USA border, the following geoloc may be informative:
Google Maps

Apparently the suspect was holding a phone. Someone posted a video that shows him pointing the phone at the cop like he's holding a gun. Looks like an attempt at suicide by cop.
Bloody awful incident. CBC live showed somebody's phone footage. It didn't look like a gun and he did seem to want the officer to blat him. It got on Youtube quick as well.

Some reports have him yelling 'Kill me!' at the police. Comparing the online photos of him - not helped by some numpty in the media assuming that some poor bugger called Alex[ander] Minassian must be the same chap and using his Facebook photos - with those of the man arrested, I'm wondering if a spot of Travis Bickle head-shaving has gone on.

NBC are running a 'Law Enforcement says this is nutter runs amok, not terrorism' line at the moment, citing both US and Canadian police/law enforcement agencies.

Here's the CBC report: What we know about the alleged driver in deadly Toronto van attack | CBC News
There is a video in the story which I cannot embed here.

The suspect by the name of Alek Minassian is a nutter who appears to have been motivated by being rejected by women. To be more specific, he didn't like that women turned him down when he asked them to shag him.
Yet one possible explanation has emerged online that suggests Minassian was angry over being rebuffed by women.
He appears to have been inspired by an American who also went on a rampage several years ago over being rejected by women.

There was no gun, and Minassian was not previously known to Toronto police. The section of Younge Street he drove down is in North York, and north of the 401 which puts it around the northern part of Toronto, well away from the downtown. He was a student at Seneca College in North York (colleges are a step below a university).

In the video you can see people oblivious to the situation walking by him while he was being confronted by the police.

To add to the above, Minassian's anger and frustration at being rejected by women probably mirrors the anger and frustration now being felt by certain people on this site when they found out that he isn't a Muslim.

Just a comment on the suspect. He is not from some economically deprived area. He was brought up in Thornhill a sizable town just north of Toronto which runs along the Yonge St-Route 1 axis just south of the 407. He apparently lived in Richmond Hill, a community just north of the 407 which is bisected, north and south by the Yonge St-Route 1 . I have visited a friend who used to live in Thornhill and now lives in Richmond Hill and it is a nice community, nice streets, parks and a number of ice rinks. Mr Minassian did not come from some deprived slum.

It appears that he is Armenian or Armenian-Canadian from his name and they are not generally a problem group although here in the US there have been a number of attacks on Turkish diplomats by a Armenian terrorist group over the years. Back in 1982 the Turkish consulate in my city was bombed and a few weeks later the consul was assassinated in the adjoining city as he drove home.

Have to say, this incident is well hidden on ARRSE! I did my usual thing when waking up and seeing the news - log in to this site to get a bit more info.
As usual, that’s worked, as there are some very informative posts here, but when did I miss Toronto moving continents?! :smile:

My bold from the footage shown of the arrest it looked as though he had a gun and was pointing it at the Police, even if it was a replica doing such a thing after his murderous rampage, he should have been shot dead.

Mind you if he was one of the RoP nutters that are prone to this sort of lunacy, it would have been what he wanted, to become a "martyr". Still shooting the c**t would save Canada the cost of keeping him in prison for the next umpteen years and ensured he can never do it again.