Terror attack, Auckland NZ, 03/09/2021

Chef

LE
Not the same thing at all. World of difference between verifiable mental illness and political views someone doesn’t like. I don’t like it any more than you, but it’s an unfortunate consequence in living somewhere that doesn’t resemble the former E Germany.

If you have evidence you can convict, if you don’t you can’t. Deriding ‘innocent until proven guilty’ with memes like ‘bureaucratic luvvie’ and ‘innit?’ is just playing to the crowd.
Given the number of 'Lone wolf with mental issues' attacks that have been carried out over the past few years I'd suggest that sectioning the lone wolves mayn't be a bad idea.

Alamo

LE
An overt team shadowing wouldn't have to be so extensive and costly either.

Obviously, there would be no intelligence dividend, but that wouldn't be the name of the game.
West Mids Police, who had to sit outside Malala’s house to ensure she didn’t get shot in the head (again) would beg to differ.

Alamo

LE
So we're in agreement that overt policing/ surveillance is less manpower intensive and lower cost than covert resources.

I'm glad we got there in the end.
It’s not a question of whether it’s more or less intensive, it’s a question of whether it’s viable at all.

Sorry, but what’s the alternative? Are you suggesting we should be able to lock people up for things we think they may do in the future? Or jail them because we have a bad feeling about them?

May be alright in N Korea, but thankfully not here or, in this case, NZ.
Minority Report walt. See the article I posted earlier, outlining the problems about expelling this guy - the fault was the legislation - and not for want of effort by the Police, Immigration services, or indeed the courts.

Separately, it seems there was an off-duty paramedic in the shop and he rendered life-saving first aid to the victims; the police also applied clotting packs as well. It seems that Mr Stabby was shot in the chest between '9 and 12 times' at very close range, and died shortly thereafter.

People displaying dangerous thoughts and tendancies have often been locked away for their own safety and ours.

They called them lunatics and built asylums all over the country to house them.

And what if they can provide a reasonable explanation as to why they want what they have brought? I, personally have, in the last year brought 3 axes, and a number of knives.

I'm a chef, and I have some furniture that needs breaking up for disposal. I have no access to a car or van, so it needs breaking small enough to fit in a wheelie bin.

And what if they can provide a reasonable explanation as to why they want what they have brought? I, personally have, in the last year brought 3 axes, and a number of knives.

I'm a chef, and I have some furniture that needs breaking up for disposal. I have no access to a car or van, so it needs breaking small enough to fit in a wheelie bin.

Are you saying you have mental health issues?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
According to a sentencing report from July, the man spent three years in prison for unspecified reasons. This year, a jury found him guilty on two counts of possessing objectionable videos, both of which showed Islamic State group imagery, including the group’s flag and a man in a black balaclava holding a semi-automatic weapon.

High Court judge Sally Fitzgerald described the contents as nasheeds, or religious hymns, sung in Arabic. She said the videos described obtaining martyrdom on the battlefield by being killed for Allah’s cause. The judge said she rejected arguments the man had simply stumbled on the videos and was trying to improve his Arabic.

She said an aggravating factor was that he was on bail for earlier, similar offences and had tried to delete his internet browser history.

However, the videos did not show violent murders like some Islamic State videos and were not classified as the worst kind of illicit material. The judge noted the extreme concerns of police, saying she did not know if they were right, but “I sincerely hope they are not”.

In the end, Ms Fitzgerald sentenced the man to a year’s supervision at an Auckland mosque, where a leader had confirmed his willingness to help and support the man on his release.
The judge also banned the man from owning any devices that could access the internet, unless approved in writing by a probation officer, and ordered that he provide access to any social media accounts he held.

The judge concluded: “I am of the view that the risk of you reoffending in a similar way to the charges upon which you were convicted remains high. Your rehabilitation is accordingly key.”

New Zealand's laws to prevent terrorism are under media fire, implying that the judge had no option to make the perpetrator safe i.e. remove him from circulation.
However, hoping that the police were wrong in their extreme concern and insisting that rehabilitation was appropriate puts her mindset firmly in line with the two delegates to the offender rehabilitation conference at Fishmongers' Hall in 2019. Unlike them, the judge was not stabbed to death for her miscalculation.

Brought?

Presumably he shouts

'STOP! Don't do it!' And she stops long enough for a speech on the futility of it all. She sees sense, repents on the spot and they take her away for a sympathetic judge to give her a minimal sentence. Roll credits.

Rather than 'ST...'. Stab followed by two innocents stabbed to death and the attacker shot.

Hollywood has a lot to answer for.
Maybe pull out a guitar and a few verses of Kumbaya and all is well with the world.

"Someone's stabbing Lord, Kumbaya."

And what are their immigrant populations? (Inc the 2nd and 3rd gens that are naturals).

Irrelevant to the fact that other(most) countries conduct close overt surveillance of people they need to watch.

They may well consider themselves 'covert' because they're wearing leather jackets and sporting Saddam moustaches instead of uniform, but their(not so) subtle practices signal to everyone what's going on.

They stand out and they don't care.

They don't have to worry about the 'bad guys', because they are the bad guys.

Alamo

LE
Irrelevant to the fact that other(most) countries conduct close overt surveillance of people they need to watch.

They may well consider themselves 'covert' because they're wearing leather jackets and sporting Saddam moustaches instead of uniform, but their(not so) subtle practices signal to everyone what's going on.

They stand out and they don't care.

They don't have to worry about the 'bad guys', because they are the bad guys.
Oh ok. Did you apply for the fast-track superintendent scheme? You seem to have the solutions to policing that have been undiscovered as of yet.

Latest Threads