• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Territorial vrs Regular Regt/Corps/Arm history

#1
Guess this maybe not a very 'one army' post, but where do our loyalties lie.

My own sub unit is going through a merger and loyalties are all over the place. Maybe its similar to the numerous Londons threads on this site, one group sticking to their territorial history and the others abandoning it.
 
#2
I'm intrigued, doesn't the Robin Hood name presides with a RE unit and a ACF det ? Whats the merger and why are irrate about it /

Also don't the Robin Hoods only have 2 VCs ?

Not a dig, just interested
 
#3
4RGJ had two VC's, London Scots 2, 5RGJ 2......... if my memory serves me right. Considering that TA units only ever expanded into 2 or 3 Bn's (compared to dozens for regular regiments) and only served in 2 major conflicts I would say when it comes to VC's the TA was on par with their regular comrades.
 
#4
I was commenting on the line

the 'Robin Hoods' have earned far far more VC's than your corps.
So the Corps in question can't have many then ?!?
 
#5
The Corps is prob Royal Sigs who have absorbed a vast number of former TA Inf units - but they do have VC's as they "inherit" those of ancestor units
 
#6
wellyhead said:
I'm intrigued, doesn't the Robin Hood name presides with a RE unit and a ACF det ?
Probably Sigs, I've heard that a number of Sigs officers continue to wear 'Robin Hoods' badges (e.g. Crois de Guerre) on service dress/mess kit. I would have thought that was wrong?
 
#8
I expect it depends how closely you can identify with that history. If there is a 'pure' lineage to a clearly identifiable heritage then it is perhaps more of a loyalty. As has been expressed in the Gunner thread people seem to have a loyalty to their batteries, and are proud of their identity as 'Gunners' but the individual regiments mean less. There is clearly a paralell with the TA Corps or Big regiments, where people see loyalty to their sub unit and wider Corps, but have little, or less, loyalty to a regiment shose footprint might be 200 miles.
 
#9
barbarasson said:
I expect it depends how closely you can identify with that history. If there is a 'pure' lineage to a clearly identifiable heritage then it is perhaps more of a loyalty. As has been expressed in the Gunner thread people seem to have a loyalty to their batteries, and are proud of their identity as 'Gunners' but the individual regiments mean less. There is clearly a paralell with the TA Corps or Big regiments, where people see loyalty to their sub unit and wider Corps, but have little, or less, loyalty to a regiment shose footprint might be 200 miles.
Very true and I would of thought that this was more relevent in a TA independent uint that only sees it regiment in whole a few times a year
 
#10
polar said:
wellyhead said:
I'm intrigued, doesn't the Robin Hood name presides with a RE unit and a ACF det ?
Probably Sigs, I've heard that a number of Sigs officers continue to wear 'Robin Hoods' badges (e.g. Crois de Guerre) on service dress/mess kit. I would have thought that was wrong?

The-Daddy said:
Why? The Rifles will wear the CdG from the DLI(TA)

Just to mix it up but wasn't the Robin Hoods an RA unit when it won the Belgian Croix de Guerre ? :wink:
 
#11
The-Daddy said:
Why? The Rifles will wear the CdG from the DLI(TA)
but after disbandment (1992), surely that right ceases?

wellyhead said:
Just to mix it up but wasn't the Robin Hoods an RA unit when it won the Belgian Croix de Guerre ? :wink:
I'm not sure that matters? Surely the 'regimental family' continues regardless of the cap badge (i.e. the territorial link is far stronger than the parent corps).

When I joined Leeds Rifles I was told about their history, the fact they've been West Riding, RTR, RA, PWO etc wasn't important.
 
#12
polar said:
I'm not sure that matters? Surely the 'regimental family' continues regardless of the cap badge (i.e. the territorial link is far stronger than the parent corps).

.
Absolutely, its not the job that has been done, but the men who did it which is important. Aside from Yeomanry most units will have an infantry link from the Great War.
 
#13
wellyhead said:
I'm intrigued, doesn't the Robin Hood name presides with a RE unit?
Yes, it was stolen from the 'hoods' in 2001

RHR History

1999 - On disbandment of 3 WFR (V) the Robin Hood affiliation discontinued until 2001 when the title was granted to 350 (Robin Hood) Squadron (Air Support) Royal Engineers (V)
They can have it back for 30 bags of jelly babies (I'll even throw in the silverware and drums.... what did happen to them?).
 
#14
Drums? Surely bugles. Wasn't it supposed to be a Rifle regiment?
 

Similar threads

Top