Territorial long service medal

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by 242, Dec 11, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. 242

    242 Swinger

    This has most likly been covered before, but I served regular army 1971-77 then joined the TA 1977-86 would I be entitled to any long TA service medal and how would I go about applying for it.
  2. 242

    from MOD website

    Try writing to the Army Medals office http://www.army.mod.uk/contacts/divisions/medals.htm

    The new medal is all ranks called the long service volunteer medal

    Don't hold your breath though, I have had my application in for 2 years and still nothing :evil:
  3. 242

    242 Swinger

    Hootch, Thanks for this, just had a reply from the medal office, because my service was pre 1999 I am not entitled, find this unbelievable, pray tell what is the differance between my service and post 1999
  4. 242, what they forgot to tell you is that you may be eligible for the Territorial Efficiency Medal, the forerunner of the LSVM.

    I recommend you get some clarification from the PSAO of your old unit as the Medal Office is in total disarray at present.

    Failing that, get a Labour MP to write a letter. Make sure it's a Labour one though.

    Far as I can tell, you did the time and deserve the gong
  5. 242

    242 Swinger

    Hootch, thanks again,The old unit was 1 wessex, now sadly gone, so no PSAO, does the MP route work? what is the problem with the medal office?
  6. 242, try BHQ 43 Wessex Bde, I'm sure the chief clerk there can give you a steer.

    Medal office was in rag order before Telic and the Jubilee medal, not to mention the Seuz gong. So by late 2003 is was a disaster area.

    The MOD then 'restructed and reorganised to exploit new synergies of a Tri Service environment'

    In plain English, cut great swathes of staff, p*ss off the rest, physical location move, records & applications lost ...etc etc.

    If your over 40 ,I suggest you make reference to your long service medal in your will so at least your kids will get something ... or write to the nearest Labour MP and copy in the local Tory and Lib Dem to keep the pressure up.

    Good luck, but seriously, don't expect anything to happen for over 2 years unless you happen to win a rugby world cup or something
  7. 242

    242 Swinger

    Hootch, many thanks for this, I am out in Iraq and have just been told I am not going to get the Telic medal as I am seconded to the FCO, currently in Abu Naji!, got talking about the medals I hav`nt got!, with some STABs, who told me about the new medal,thanks again for this, will give it ago
  8. Hootch, you are right about the Medal Office and also IMO about approaching an MP - without a unit to go through there is no other means of redress if they fail to spark.

    242 - sorry to give this yet another spin and also sorry that I havent found chapter and verse on the web. However, I don't believe that regular service counts towards the old Territorial Medal.
  9. 242

    242 Swinger

    Hackle, yes thats my belief, sh*t happens (with this govornment) can they get nothing right!
  10. Sod's law seems to be applicable. All rules devised specifically to do you out of medals! Seems v unfair you not getting current campaign medal. Keep your head down anyway, gong or no gong! :wink:
  11. 242

    242 Swinger

    Thanks Hackle, lucky for me the ribbon colours clashes with my eyes, thanks again,
  12. Is there any further news on this, my husband was with 217 Fld Sqn RE from 1980 to 1992. He should have been awarded his long service medal. We moved to Canada and have heard nothing in 22 years despite sending letters to the MOD. Any help would be gratefully received.
  13. I don't think regular service could be counted towards the Efficiency Medal (Territorial). You can with the Volunteer Reserves Service Medal (VRSM) - up to five years regular service at half rate (i.e. 2.5 years). But even if you could do so with the Efficiency Medal, you'd have still been six months short - even if you'd the required ten bounties. You can still apply for the Efficiency Medal if you feel you've qualified, which (by my reckoning) you haven't.

    The EM(T) is twelve years of certified efficient service. Anything less, then don't bother mithering the Medal Office, as it's a wasted stamp.
  14. RP578

    RP578 LE Book Reviewer

    You probably qualify for the Iraq Reconstruction Medal though:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-iraq-reconstruction-service-medal