Territorial Efficiency Medal

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by dogfondler, Mar 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question with regard to qualifying criteria. Does regular service count towards the award of the aforementioned medal?

For example, TA service 1985 - 1992 immediately followed by regular service until 1996, then a three month gap followed by TA service from May 1996 until March 1998.

A total of 13 years made up of 9 years TA and 4 years regular.

Gentlemen, your thoughts, please!!

2. yes the EM(T) needs 12 years service but because the regular service only counts at half rate your 4 years reg service equals 2 years towards the EM(T) so you are a year short sorry

3. You may have missed the boat on the Efficiency Medal, but if you rejoin now, you could be eligible for the VRSM in 2019. (And, if you're lucky, have it awarded by 2025).

4. IIRC the TEM did not allow for former Regular service to be counted toward it but the current VRSM does.

5. Actually, I have rejoined. So if my former service counts for nothing (apart from some fabulous memories and a dodgy liver) I'm on track to qualify for the VRSM in 2018. At the age of 51. I know. Old kunt.

6. So do you need to be in for 10 years and qualify for 8 bounty's or is it all 10 bounty's that need to be qualified for(Pure TA service ) ?

7. your regular service defo counts for VRSM, you could try for it for your previous service as you meet the criteria as it stands now and they no longer give out the EM(T) they may give you the VRSM, whats the worse that could happen they say no I think you may get it. It will take a while though

8. Curiously, JSP 761 doesn't contain the magic words "continuous service" in the qualifying criteria for the VRSM - unlike the wording for the Efficiency Medal - just 10 years of service and 9 bounties. Even the application form has a column "Leaving dates".

I wonder if I can get a clasp for 1975 - 1981. These years didn't count for my Efficiency Medal due to broken service - a matter of days over the permitted gap (when I hadn't been informed that wasn't still serving - fukcing Angle-irons).

Now, who was dogfondler referring to when he said "Old kunt"?

9. Others will have access to the regulations, but I am 99% certain your previous service should count towards the new inclusive, egalitarian, VRSM.

My “TD” had so many “bars” to it, I elected to trade-in a couple - to qualify/in exchange for a VRSM.

For some reason - during the negotiations/calculations - I had to forfeit a couple of years service, otherwise I would also have had a “bar” to the VRSM.

10. Err, that would be me, actually.

Thanks for all the replies, chaps.

11. msr

msr LE

Armynet -> Search "TA Regulations"

msr

12. Long post! From TA Regs:

Eligibility
    5. To be eligible for the award of the VRSM an individual must fulfil the following conditions:

a. On or after 1 Apr 99 he must be serving as a volunteer in one of the following Reserve Forces:

(1) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR);
    (2) Royal Marines Reserve (RMR);
    (3) Territorial Army (TA).
    (4) Royal Air Force Reserve (RAFR);
    (5) Royal Auxiliary Air Force (RAuxAF);

and he must still be serving at the time that the qualifying service is completed.

b. He must have completed ten years continuous qualifying service reckoned in accordance with paras 7, 8 and 9, but subject to the provisions of para 10, and of which part but not all may have been served before 1 Apr 99.

c. He must have earned training bounty as required by his obligatory training commitment as defined in individual service regulations in 9 out of the 10 qualifying years and his service is thus deemed efficient.

d. Alternatively, when serving as a Reservist as defined at paras 7d, 7e and 8a, an individual will be deemed to be efficient unless his annual report, or a special report, shows otherwise.

6. To be eligible for the award of a Clasp to theMedal, in addition to meeting the criteria detailed in paras 5a and 5d, an individual must fulfil the following conditions:

a. He must have completed a further 5 years continuous qualifying service (as reckoned in paras 7-10) since the award of the VRSM or previous Clasp to thatMedal.

b. He must have earned training bounty as required by his obligatory training commitment as defined in individual service regulations for a further 5 years and his service is thus deemed efficient.

Qualifying Service

7. The following will reckon as single qualifying service:

a. Service after the age of 18 in the Reserve Forces listed at para 5a, subject to the provisions of paras 8 and 9, and except where such service is solely for duty with the Cadet Forces, in which case such service will reckon towards the Cadet ForcesMedal.

b. Service in any of the authorized auxiliary forces of the Commonwealth that has not been counted towards the award of any other long service award.

c. Service in the Ulster Defence Regiment (Part Time) (UDR (PT)) which was reckonable towards but was insufficient for the award of the UDRMedalor Clasps, or service in the Royal Irish (Home Service) (Part Time) (R IRISH (HS) (PT)) but was insufficient for the award of the Northern Ireland Home ServiceMedalor Clasps.

d. Service on permanent service following Call-Out, a Short Service Volunteer Commission (SSVC), Short Term Regular Commission (STRC), Short Service Engagement (SSE), Short Term Regular Engagement (STRE), Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) or any combination of these forms of service up to a maximum of 5 years aggregated service.

e. Service as a Reservist under the provisions of Sections 25 or 27 of the Reserve Forces Act 1996 (RFA 96) covering additional duties, commitments and additional voluntary training and duties.

8. The following will count as two-thirds qualifying service:

Service in the Non-Regular Permanent Staff (NRPS) of the Reserve Forces listed at para 5a.

9. The following will count as half qualifying service:

a. Service below the age of 18 years in the Reserve Forces listed at para 5a, or authorized auxiliary forces of the Commonwealth that has not been counted towards the award of any other long service award.

b. Service after the age of 17 years on RNR List 7 at a University Royal Naval Unit (URNU), or as a cadet or commissioned officer serving solely in Group B of the Officers’ Training Corps (OTC), or the Subalterns’ Special Pool or the University Air Squadron (UAS).

c. Service in an SSVC, STRC, SSE, STRE, FTRS or any combination of these forms of service for any period in excess of 5 years aggregated service.

d. Up to 5 years full-time service in the Regular Forces, other than that covered by para 9c, which has not been counted towards the award of any other long service award. Full-time service to a maximum of 5 years subsequent to the award of another long service award may be counted.

Continuity of Service

10. The following, though not counted as qualifying service for the VRSM or Clasps, will not be considered a break in the continuity of service required by paras 5b and 6a:

a. Periods not exceeding 3 years between service in one of the forces listed at para 5a and another such Service.

b. Periods not exceeding 3 years between service in authorized auxiliary forces of the Commonwealth and the forces listed in para 5a. The period may be extended when the initial non-existence of an auxiliary force prevents the individual joining such a force. However, an extension shall in no cases be for more than 6 months after facilities for joining such a force become available.

c. Service in the regular reserves of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army or Royal Air Force immediately following discharge or transfer from one of the forces listed at para 5a if such service is by virtue of a previous liability for reserve service.

d. Service in the regular reserves of an Armed Service of the Commonwealth if it immediately follows discharge or transfer from one of the forces listed at para 5a or an authorized auxiliary force of the Commonwealth, and is by virtue of a previous liability for reserve service.

e. Any year to a maximum of 3 consecutive years in which an individual fails to complete his full obligatory training commitment as laid down in paras 5c and 6b.

f. A period not exceeding 3 years between leaving the Regular Forces and formally applying to join the Reserve Forces listed at para 5a.

g. Any service which has been counted towards another award for long service in either the Regular Forces, the Reserve Forces or the Cadet Forces.

h. Any service which is given solely to the Cadet Forces. Such service may reckon instead towards the award of the Cadet Forces.

i. Any formally authorized break in service or leave of absence of up to 3 years taken for personal or business reasons.

Recommendation for Award

11. Claims for the award of the VRSM or Clasp are to be submitted on the form F/HONS 1009. Claims must be personally endorsed with a recommendation for the award by the commanding officer of units and not a subordinate commander. Individual claims by unit commanding officers, officers in command of regional units, or unattached senior officers are to be personally endorsed with a recommendation for the award by their immediate superior officer.

Verification of Award

12. TA units are to obtain verification prints of the record of service and forward them, together with the completed F HONS 1009, to the MODMO. Verification prints are to be obtained from:

a. For Officers. MS Reserves APC

b. For Soldiers. The MS Reserves APC (Sldr ROS)

at Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, GLASGOW G2 8EX.