Territorial Decoration - what are the rules?

:?:
Is anyone familiar with the rules around the issue of the TD? The VRSM replaced it some time ago except for people who joined pre-whatever the date is, who can still claim it.
I've been told that I qualify but when I've chased it through the clerk I've been hampered by lack of facts.
So 1 do I qualify? Here's my facts - enlisted 1990, commissioned 1992, still in now, TA 'bounty' every year, Telic for six months last year (if that makes any difference; I'm thinking 'break in TA service' here...)
and 2, what was the cut-off date for being commissioned and still being eligible.
Answers on a postcard.....

cheers very much

The basic rules were being available for call out for 12 years and having completed 10 camps within those 12 years (oddly, there was no requirement for the efficiency certificate, just the camp attendance).
You had to have six years towards the TD by the time of the change (1996?); I think non-commissioned service counts for half and op service counts for double.
No doubt some sad SOB will have posted the chapter & verse by now though!

stickybomb said:
The basic rules were being available for call out for 12 years and having completed 10 camps within those 12 years (oddly, there was no requirement for the efficiency certificate, just the camp attendance).
You had to have six years towards the TD by the time of the change (1996?); I think non-commissioned service counts for half and op service counts for double.
Sounds right except I don't believe that op service counts for double. It did in 1939-45 but not now. Oh and I thought the VRSM came in about 1999.

hackle said:
stickybomb said:
Sounds right except I don't believe that op service counts for double. It did in 1939-45 but not now. Oh and I thought the VRSM came in about 1999.
Hackle is probably right about the op service -- one of those facts without a billet that clangs around in the back of the rememberer -- and it sort of makes sense because until 1949 it took twenty years to earn. VRSM was instituted in 2000 but I'm sure that John Major did the fiddling in 96 so it would have appeared at the roughly the same time that someone with only 5 years service in 1996 would have been able to wear it.

As far as I am aware it does not; as an ex-regular who served in the reserve forces as well I was told that only volunteer service counts towards the VRSM.

chickenpunk said:
On a related point: does regular service count towards the VRSM?
Yes it does. I had 5 years reg service in which counted for 2 and 1/2 years towards the gong. With that and TA service I qualified for the award 2 years before it was invented and got the bar 12 months after the original medal.

8) All b*ll*cks though. Bring back the efficiency medal and do some proper time to earn it.

stabtastic said:
Is anyone familiar with the rules around the issue of the TD? The VRSM replaced it some time ago except for people who joined pre-whatever the date is, who can still claim it.
I don't think your eligible, I joined 2 years before you. The rules changed around 2000 (my 12 year point), I eventually ended up with the VRSM and a bar to it a year latter.

polar said:
stabtastic said:
I don't think your eligible, I joined 2 years before you. The rules changed around 2000 (my 12 year point), I eventually ended up with the VRSM and a bar to it a year latter.
Same here I joined in 1988 still got the VRSM and a bar! I was told that stocks of medals had been exhausted 8O

WhiteHorse said:
polar said:
stabtastic said:
Same here I joined in 1988 still got the VRSM and a bar! I was told that stocks of medals had been exhausted 8O
I think someone was pulling the wool over your eyes. As long as you had six qualifying years towards it by about 1996, you should have been allowed to apply. Time is not an issue either, my old OC was unaware of the rules and has successfully applied; it should arrive in the next couple of months.

They are made in small batches more or less to order. Once your paperwork is approved your name goes on a twice-yearly list which is submitted for Royal assent. Once it comes back, the Army Medal Office set about making the gong. Someone told me that there is only one bloke who makes them.

what about the vrsm, does non commissioned service count the same as commissioned? i.e if you do 10 years total service no matter what rank, are you in the running?

stickybomb said:
Once your paperwork is approved your name goes on a twice-yearly list which is submitted for Royal assent.
And that's the sticking point. I joined in 1984, commissioned in 1989, and walked into the Chief Clerk's office in 1999 (thinking "I'll start the application two months before eligibility, let it work through") clutching copies of my key paysheets - the ones that said "CO's Certificate YES" and "In Camp Trg 15" - back to 1984 (sad git that I was, I'd kept them).

"So, here's the documentary evidence, do you need anything else?" - "Nope".

Every couple of months after that, I went and asked the office whether there was anything else required, kept getting "oh, it's the system, it's slow". Turned out that our Bn Ord Rm had still insisted on getting the original source information from APC, then checking it, claiming that "oh, you've got to follow the procedures to the letter", and two years later I get a copy of the fairly basic A5 application form for the TD/TEM; it's got transcription errors introduced by Bn, a pay gap introduced by APC, and it's been rejected by the medal office because Bn hadn't got one of the two key signatures filled in. Namely, they hadn't sent it to Bde. :x Fun was reading my P-file a while later to discover that the application had only ever been progressed to the next step at each of the points I reminded the Ord Rm :evil:

Of course, once the form had been filled in properly, it only took another year and change to get processed, (medal office were hellish busy, and I just missed one of the half-yearly lists), the TD turned up. Only four years after I was eligible for it....... still, that's five years less than my commissioning scroll took, so it's something I suppose. And it's only two years more than it took to get a bloody-hard-working SNCO their medal for being a total star (it took two years from that MBE application before something turned up on the honours list).

Moral of the story? Well, either the Bn Ord Rm were a bunch of hard-working heroes, flogging themselves to the limit, and I should understand that there were more important things on the go...... or they were just making excuses (blah blah APC blah blah medal office) to cover up the fact that they were incompetent at dealing with medals. Either way, be prepared to hound them, or sod-all will ever happen

Stabtastic,

To get the TD you need to have accrued at least 6 whole years attributable service by 1st April 99.

You were commissioned in 92 which will give you at least six whole years. Add on 2 years non-commissioned service, which counts as half, gives you another year or so to add on. Subtract that total (probably about 7 and a half years) from 12 years = 4 and a half. You thus should have qualified for your TD in about Sept 03 give or take a few months.

Every day counts so get hold of the exact dates. A good friend of mine missed it by 33 days.

Gravelbelly,
Your supposition is sadly correct and is not an isolated case. A mate of mine took four applications to get his and even that took two and a half years to arrive. Armed with this knowledge, I collated all my stuff together and (once I had taken an educated guess at which box to tick on an app form that covers four very similar sounding medal names -- not one of which was Territorial Decoration) I took the whole damned lot to the CO personally, got his scratch and then handed it directly to the Bde COS and invested a bit of time in chatting up the Brig's PA so that she recognised my name. When it reappeared from Brigade (hint: ask the PA to call you when it gets sent back) I stood over the Chief Clerk and watched it go into the envelope marked Army Medal Office.

For what its worth, APC Glasgow gave me a 'bye' on the 1997 details...mainly because they had lost an entire year's worth of pay data. I had the P60 to prove my case but the guy said he had no way of verifying it one way or the other it. No comeback, no investigation, just gone. Scary.

So for anyone contemplating applying for anything, statistically the biggest hurdle will be escaping the gravitational pull of the Orderly Room. I have heard too many tales of ill-fated applications that I am damned sure never left the Unit.