Territorial Decoration - what are the rules?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by stabtastic, Nov 12, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. :?:
    Is anyone familiar with the rules around the issue of the TD? The VRSM replaced it some time ago except for people who joined pre-whatever the date is, who can still claim it.
    I've been told that I qualify but when I've chased it through the clerk I've been hampered by lack of facts.
    So 1 do I qualify? Here's my facts - enlisted 1990, commissioned 1992, still in now, TA 'bounty' every year, Telic for six months last year (if that makes any difference; I'm thinking 'break in TA service' here...)
    and 2, what was the cut-off date for being commissioned and still being eligible.
    Answers on a postcard.....

    cheers very much
  2. The basic rules were being available for call out for 12 years and having completed 10 camps within those 12 years (oddly, there was no requirement for the efficiency certificate, just the camp attendance).
    You had to have six years towards the TD by the time of the change (1996?); I think non-commissioned service counts for half and op service counts for double.
    No doubt some sad SOB will have posted the chapter & verse by now though!
  3. Sounds right except I don't believe that op service counts for double. It did in 1939-45 but not now. Oh and I thought the VRSM came in about 1999.
  4. Hackle is probably right about the op service -- one of those facts without a billet that clangs around in the back of the rememberer -- and it sort of makes sense because until 1949 it took twenty years to earn. VRSM was instituted in 2000 but I'm sure that John Major did the fiddling in 96 so it would have appeared at the roughly the same time that someone with only 5 years service in 1996 would have been able to wear it.
  5. On a related point: does regular service count towards the VRSM?
  6. As far as I am aware it does not; as an ex-regular who served in the reserve forces as well I was told that only volunteer service counts towards the VRSM.
  7. Cutaway

    Cutaway LE Reviewer

    Why ?

    What happened then ?

  8. Annual Camp was extended by six years.
  9. Yes it does. I had 5 years reg service in which counted for 2 and 1/2 years towards the gong. With that and TA service I qualified for the award 2 years before it was invented and got the bar 12 months after the original medal.

    8) All b*ll*cks though. Bring back the efficiency medal and do some proper time to earn it.
  10. I don't think your eligible, I joined 2 years before you. The rules changed around 2000 (my 12 year point), I eventually ended up with the VRSM and a bar to it a year latter.
  11. Territorial Decoration - what are the rules?

    I find a bit of tinsel over the ears and a light dusting of glitter works wonders :lol: :lol: :lol:
  12. Same here I joined in 1988 still got the VRSM and a bar! I was told that stocks of medals had been exhausted 8O
  13. Do you think it should go back to 12 or 20 years? (the medal was always 12 but the TD was originally 20)
  14. We were always told 13 years which I think is about right with 18 for the bar. Almost on a par with the LS & GC and somehow more worthwhile!
  15. I think someone was pulling the wool over your eyes. As long as you had six qualifying years towards it by about 1996, you should have been allowed to apply. Time is not an issue either, my old OC was unaware of the rules and has successfully applied; it should arrive in the next couple of months.

    They are made in small batches more or less to order. Once your paperwork is approved your name goes on a twice-yearly list which is submitted for Royal assent. Once it comes back, the Army Medal Office set about making the gong. Someone told me that there is only one bloke who makes them.