Territorial Army takes over Worcester vinegar factory

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Sep 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Arise 104 - The Vinegar strokers!

BBC News - Territorial Army takes over Worcester vinegar factory

A converted former vinegar factory is due to be handed over to the Territorial Army in Worcestershire for its training centre and headquarters.

The 104th Regiment Royal Artillery volunteers will take possession later of the Worcester vinegar works built by Hill, Evans & Company in the 1850s.

It was refurbished by developers Carillion Richardson in exchange for the army's former HQ in Silver Street.

The developers want to convert the former base into an Asda store.

The artillery regiment said the new development in Lowesmoor would boost the local profile of the army.

The Great Filling Hall, where vinegar barrels were stored, would be used by the TA as a parade hall and offices.

Afghanistan support

Lt Col Phil Shepheard-Walwyn said: "We now have some excellent new facilities in Worcester which will boost our training capability at an important time.

"The regiment is currently focused on providing unmanned aerial vehicle operators, to support current operations in Afghanistan, and training personnel who will form part of the British contribution to the United Nations Forces in Cyprus next year."

Col Tim Weeks, Chief Executive of the West Midlands Reserve Forces and Cadets Association said: "This is a development of national significance and will boost the profile of the armed forces in Worcestershire."

Martyn Richardson from Carillion Richardson said: "We are delighted to provide this vital facility for the TA at this important time and the whole of this development will create much needed jobs and provide a massive boost to the regeneration of the city."

2. I wonder who actually owns it? Could be important in the next few months....

3. Owned by RFCA as of last week, as far as I know.

It's a big old building put back into use as a TAC. Saw it before work started and it was a huge space. You could see where the railway engines moved in and out of it.

Interesting to see how it will affect the TA in Worcester.

4. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Does this mean that the £1 an hour car park next to the old TA Centre will close? It was the cheapest parking in the city. No really I can only see this as a good thing for the TA in Worcester. Its a big old place and I cant think of a better use for it.

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You people just aren't getting it, are you?

Southend on Sea TAC finally given a security fence round it and a coat of paint - sold off.

Massive refurb of the Duke of Yorks HQ in Chelsea - then sold off

Redan Road TAC in Aldershot had heating installed at huge cost (waking up the fleas in the process) - then sold off.

Anyone planning to attend the new centre should start looking for other options ASAP - it is destined to be one of the centres closed as a result of SDSR.

6. msr

msr LE

59 Sig Sqn in Aintree: Decorators painting the walls as the Sqn's disbandment was announced on TV...

7. Quite right.

Newport Drill Hall in Lincoln, addition of a "tardis" the insult was it wasn't sold off, just given to cadets.

8. When was this decision made? The biggest town in Essex now no longer has a TA centre - what idiot came up with that?

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The old 10 Para/RTC one went in 1993 - it is now a block of flats with a small cadet centre. The one in Prittlewell is/was R Sigs, and I have no idea if it is still there, or was lost in the last round of bloodletting.

10. Ah, but you see they DID own the old one, which they've sold. Question is did they buy the vinegar stroke factory, did the developers 'gift' it to the RFCA/Army, did they own it anyway, or have they leased it?

But as the Duke rightly points out, it'll be closed at a moments notice if that's what the dikc heads decide. The Duke is getting more cynical than me these days...

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

When life gives you lemons....

I am moving into property development. I am planning on touring the country looking for TACs being refurbished, and will then put in a suitably low offer as they are virtually guaranteed to be up for sale soon.

12. msr

msr LE

13. They didn't "sell" the old one..they "part-exchanged" it for the new one and got a far better facility..with 30% more space than they needed...Tim Weekes certainly looked after the RFCA interests…made easy by the fact that the developers involved are firm supporters of the Armed Forces.

14. Although it is a great building, it would be hard to know what else you would do with it without almost starting the refurb again.

It's listed so knocking it down to build something else is definitely not an option. The other odd thing is that the important bit of the building for the conservation bods is the cast iron roof beams and it seems like one of the design briefs is that you should be able to see them when you walk in the place.

Like everyone else, the battery is waiting to see what SDR brings, whether good bad or indifferent, so although this is a good news story there are big caveats!

15. Well it was still there when I drove past it last night!