Territorial Army: Fitness

#1
So, lately I have been looking at refining my training programme to help prepare me for the Territorial Army. Problem is I am 100% civilian; and as such have no idea what this ‘Army fit,’ means.

I have made an educated guess by completing a Soldier Fitness Profile from my perception; feel free to correct me.

Fitness Required - Reason

Aerobic Fitness - Runs, MST, CFT, ACFT2, Gym Tests.
Anaerobic Fitness - Contact Drills, Assault Course, PFT, ACFT1, Beastings.
Endurance Fitness - Tabs, Patrolling, Longer Runs.

Maximal Strength - Gym Tests, Riot Control, FIPAC.
Explosive Strength - Assault Course, Unarmed Combat.
Speed Strength - Contact Drills, Slick Drills.
Strength Endurance - Load Bearing, Patrolling.

So basically I assume I pretty much have to build a decent/ high standard in pretty much everything. Sound about right?

Alpha13
 
#2
Cross-train, mate. You should focus on aerobic fitness - running etc - but without neglecting strength.

As a sample routine: 4 - 5 runs per week, varying terrain(if possible)and distances. Two sessions of weight training per week, basic, compound exercises, including body weight exercises such as press-ups, pull-ups etc.

Swimming is good exercise and always a useful skill to have. Try one session a week.

Hill walking is an excellent preperation for carrying a heavy bergan over rough ground. Just make sure you have the right kit. :wink:

If possible, have one day a week off to let your body recover.

One thing I would correct you on is Unarmed Combat; unless you're joining a specialist unit, jap-slapping will not be part of your training.

Good luck! :D
 
#3
Are the MATTs available online any more?

msr
 
#4
Cheers Frank; yeah cross training is definitely the way forward. I recently got a hold of a fantastic book on bodyweight exercises and conditioning (Never Gymless) and was planning on incorporating that into my current routine.

At present I am doing 4 runs a week (3 miles fast, 5 miles steady, 10 miles slow and fartlex), 3 weight sessions (German Volume Training), spinning and the occasional weekend stroll on the hills.

I am seeking a Territorial Army Commission so I don’t want to be lacking in the fizz department.

MSR: do the OCdts on the TACC do the same MATT's

Alpha13
 
#5
Alpha_13 said:
MSR: do the OCdts on the TACC do the same MATT's

Alpha13
All those links are broken.

I am not sure what the fitness standards are at Sandhurst now.

msr
 
#6
msr said:
All those links are broken.

I am not sure what the fitness standards are at Sandhurst now.

msr
If you change the web address to www2.whatever, they work.

I'll get full details on what is expected of me from my unit anyway, I was just looking to be at a competitive level of general fitness.

Cheers anyways,


Alpha13
 
#8
Alpha_13 said:
msr said:
All those links are broken.

I am not sure what the fitness standards are at Sandhurst now.

msr
If you change the web address to www2.whatever, they work.

I'll get full details on what is expected of me from my unit anyway, I was just looking to be at a competitive level of general fitness.

Cheers anyways,


Alpha13
It's the wiki, you can make the changes. Initiative and all that ;)

I recall people who were fell marathon runners at one end of the fitness spectrum and me at the other :oops:

msr
 
#9
msr said:
Alpha_13 said:
msr said:
All those links are broken.

I am not sure what the fitness standards are at Sandhurst now.

msr
If you change the web address to www2.whatever, they work.

I'll get full details on what is expected of me from my unit anyway, I was just looking to be at a competitive level of general fitness.

Cheers anyways,


Alpha13
It's the wiki, you can make the changes. Initiative and all that ;)

msr
Done.
 
#10
Alpha_13 said:
Cheers Frank; yeah cross training is definitely the way forward. I recently got a hold of a fantastic book on bodyweight exercises and conditioning (Never Gymless) and was planning on incorporating that into my current routine.

At present I am doing 4 runs a week (3 miles fast, 5 miles steady, 10 miles slow and fartlex), 3 weight sessions (German Volume Training), spinning and the occasional weekend stroll on the hills.

I am seeking a Territorial Army Commission so I don’t want to be lacking in the fizz department.

MSR: do the OCdts on the TACC do the same MATT's

Alpha13
Sounds like you're doing the right stuff. Especially the way you're mixing up the times and distances of your runs; too many people get caught out by just running the same route and distance over and over again(I was that soldier :oops: ).

No idea about the specific fitness requirements for the Sand Castle, but there does'nt seem to be any dramas with your present training schedule.

Crack on and good luck! :thumright:
 
#11
#12
Alpha 13

That is a good regime.

Currently training my son who is joining up soon, 5-6 milers mixed terrain, 4 times a week with a1.5 mile run once a week.

Sit ups, press ups, dips and heaves and swimming, some weights

Thats my own usual training prog and i piss PFT's and CFTs so you should do fine.

Good luck
 
#13
Alpha_13 said:
Cheers Frank; yeah cross training is definitely the way forward. I recently got a hold of a fantastic book on bodyweight exercises and conditioning (Never Gymless) and was planning on incorporating that into my current routine.

Do you have a link for that book ?
 
#14
polar69 said:
Alpha_13 said:
Cheers Frank; yeah cross training is definitely the way forward. I recently got a hold of a fantastic book on bodyweight exercises and conditioning (Never Gymless) and was planning on incorporating that into my current routine.

Do you have a link for that book ?
The book can only be bought from his website: Ross Training. Including the shipping charge it was about £18.

If you click on the 'Articles,' link you can get a general idea of the kind of content. He also has a few videos on His YouTube channel - Although, some of those workouts are from his other books.

Alpha 13
 
#16
I just finished the TACC this summer, and the fitness is really not too much to worry about if you have a decent level before you go. Steady state run of between 3 and 5 miles (I've been a shite judge of distance :p ) at a more than do-able pace, if you can keep going that distance at PFT pace you'll cope easily. Obviously PFT and CFT which I guess you have the standards for already - 1.5 miles in 10.5/13 mins for guys/girls under 30 etc etc. The hardest thing is the platoon attacks in the field, having the ability to leopard crawl (ugh) without dying, and be able to sprint from belt buckles, but again, all within the ability of the majority of people on my course so it sounds like you'll be fine with your sensible training schedule.

Just out of curiosity - how are you doing the TACC as a civi?? Surely you need to do Mods 1-3 with a TA unit/RTC/OTC? Or is this you just setting out? If so, you'll get plenty of guidance before you get to RMAS on fitness required anyway.
 
#17
quix said:
Just out of curiosity - how are you doing the TACC as a civi?? Surely you need to do Mods 1-3 with a TA unit/RTC/OTC? Or is this you just setting out? If so, you'll get plenty of guidance before you get to RMAS on fitness required anyway.
Yeah, I am just setting out. I will begin at Module 1 hopefully in October, dependant upon Security Clearance etc.

I am just hoping to get the fizz squared away long before Module 4 so I can enjoy the experience.


Congratulations on your success.


Alpha13
 
#19
quix said:
Ah ok. Where's your TA centre then? Good luck with it all!
I’m currently moving from London to a small town in Cambridgeshire so my local infantry unit will be Third Battalion, Royal Anglian Regiment.

Thanks.


Alpha13
 
#20
Sorry Alpha_13 - it's got to be said, you know you're not supposed to put a picture of yourself as a avatar don't you?

Forget the fitness, you need to eat more and get some cool glasses.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads