Terrible bridge collapse in Italy

I know what you mean, I was in Pompeii in March of this year, and to think I only missed the volcanic eruption by just under 2000 years, scary
It's OK. The "training would have kicked in".

Whenever I drive around Southern Europe I’m struck by the way concrete was used in older bridges. Quite a few with pre-stressed elements in tension. The stays on the Morandi bridge were probably the most spectacular. Morandi was one of several architect / engineers pushing the boundaries of pre-stressed concrete, effectively experimenting at full scale because it was impossible to model back then.

IMHO anything built before the mid 70s with structural elements in tension from ore-stressed concrete is likely to be at risk.

One wonders what the specified design life and loads were supposed to be; quite likely 50 years and nowhere near the dynamic loads it’s been taking.

Any structure like this needs regular professional appraisal by proper engineers who reverse design the structure to ensure that it is still safe and capable of taking the loads.

Fortunately the UK concrete ridge stock is mostly newer than this.

Fortunately, no fatalities in this one. Seems to be becoming a habit in Italy!

142005.jpg

A huge bridge section has collapsed in Tuscany.

Police and fire crews roped off the access road to the bridge over the Magra River in Albiano Magra in the province of Massa Carrara, according to Carabinieri footage of the scene Wednesday.

Given Italy’s nationwide coronavirus lockdown, there were only two trucks on the provincial road at the time.

Italian news reports said one of the drivers was taken to hospital.

Fortunately, no fatalities in this one. Seems to be becoming a habit in Italy!

View attachment 463952

A huge bridge section has collapsed in Tuscany.

Police and fire crews roped off the access road to the bridge over the Magra River in Albiano Magra in the province of Massa Carrara, according to Carabinieri footage of the scene Wednesday.

Given Italy’s nationwide coronavirus lockdown, there were only two trucks on the provincial road at the time.

Italian news reports said one of the drivers was taken to hospital.
The bridge in the background, road or rail?

From Google maps, looks like the bridge in the background is on the E31 Autostrada, so road. The collapsed bridge seems to be on the SP70.

From Google maps, looks like the bridge in the background is on the E31 Autostrada, so road. The collapsed bridge seems to be on the SP70.
Think I matched the view:

The A15 south of the town has a bridge that crosses the river with a rail bridge parralel to it. It is clearly electified though.

Latest Threads