Terrible bridge collapse in Italy

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Amazing the crap theories you hear in the US especially in the further flung parts where humans rarely go.

There are many, many, people who rarely leave their small town to go to the big city. I was told of a case last month where members of a small community living less than five miles away from the city had never ventured into the city, seen a supermarket, ice cream, or many of the other vestiges of modern life we take for granted.
Some parts of the Shetlands are like that

This kind of ..of ******* , the builders, council, and all involved makes my stomach turn.

They are all taking a cut or trying to save a few thousand and then make a saving to save their jobs or to make a few quid on the side.

******* the lot.

Wonder if the same kind of thing in the UK would happen? Like a council block of flats burning and dozens to die because of cheap cladding and cheap doors, as well as the Tower block rules telling those to stay .

This kind of ..of ******* , the builders, council, and all involved makes my stomach turn.

They are all taking a cut or trying to save a few thousand and then make a saving to save their jobs or to make a few quid on the side.

******* the lot.

Wonder if the same kind of thing in the UK would happen? Like a council block of flats burning and dozens to die because of cheap cladding and cheap doors, as well as the Tower block rules telling those to stay .
Mafia and backhanders mate, part of the Italian way of life.......to paraphrase the Great Don Corleone, "everyone wants to dip their beak".

And, in the end all the money has gone out in backhanders so the only thing the builder can afford is sub-standard materials which even then are probably substituted by the supplier for stuff which has EC Approved crayoned onto it.

Mafia and backhanders mate, part of the Italian way of life.......to paraphrase the Great Don Corleone, "everyone wants to dip their beak".

And, in the end all the money has gone out in backhanders so the only thing the builder can afford is sub-standard materials which even then are probably substituted by the supplier for stuff which has EC Approved crayoned onto it.
Wonder how the three , four, five or plus years investigation into the Grendfell tower will end?

I’m just thinking that after all the press dies down and the payments are made , the failings are identified , cheap lagging and doors. Just like the Italian bridge this post is about.

The UK builders , just as all EU , World builders will use cheap stuff to make a few quid.

Have a friend who happens to have a door making factory. Days after the Grenfell disaster all he said was ...

Cheap doors. Poor fuccers.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
To be fair to the Italians, when things go right, they are first class builders and artisans with a real flair, but...

Mafia and earthquakes.

Mafia rips everyone off, everyone had to pay, so stuff gets shoddily built...but, earthquakes.
Italy has a bad habit of falling down, so, civic leaders and politicians have been able to assuage their consciences with letting crappy stuff getting built by shrugging their shoulders, and telling themselves it only had to last as long as the next good earthquake.

And that’s what you often see in earthquakes. The old brick buildings still standing, and newer concrete buildings dropping like sandcastles. Everything in Italy is supposed to be built earthquake proof with extra rebar and high strength concrete, and that’s expensive. But provides great margins for selling off steels and cement without stuff falling down too quickly.

It used to be a rule of thumb 10% of the contract price for fiddles and bribes in UK civils contracts, I think it’s 90% for fiddles and bribes in Italy

Jeeps! Bridge piers as photographed a few weeks ago!
Classic MafiaCrete®
I have worked in Civil Engineering for most of my life since Army.
That photograph by itself shows that Councils and Governments ( i.e. politicians and their lackeys ) should NOT be able to over rule highly qualified Engineers on safety issues.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
To be fair to the Italians, when things go right, they are first class builders and artisans with a real flair, but...

Mafia and earthquakes.

Mafia rips everyone off, everyone had to pay, so stuff gets shoddily built...but, earthquakes.
Italy has a bad habit of falling down, so, civic leaders and politicians have been able to assuage their consciences with letting crappy stuff getting built by shrugging their shoulders, and telling themselves it only had to last as long as the next good earthquake.

And that’s what you often see in earthquakes. The old brick buildings still standing, and newer concrete buildings dropping like sandcastles. Everything in Italy is supposed to be built earthquake proof with extra rebar and high strength concrete, and that’s expensive. But provides great margins for selling off steels and cement without stuff falling down too quickly.

It used to be a rule of thumb 10% of the contract price for fiddles and bribes in UK civils contracts, I think it’s 90% for fiddles and bribes in Italy[/QUOTE
last time we stayed there the Hotel made great pains to sow us it was earthquake proof
we rode there on a motorcycle
I felt safer on that !

I have worked in Civil Engineering for most of my life since Army.
That photograph by itself shows that Councils and Governments ( i.e. politicians and their lackeys ) should NOT be able to over rule highly qualified Engineers on safety issues.
Scary though that is, I thought it had been debunked- it’s not the same bridge.

I had to laugh on breakfast tv this morning. Immediately after a harrowing report from Italy was Laura with the weather, brought to you by checkatrader.com

Thinking about it , quite scary having driven from Rome to the UK a few weeks ago.

Wonder just how many are in such a poor state of repair.

I mean I could have been there man.

Thinking about it , quite scary having driven from Rome to the UK a few weeks ago.

Wonder just how many are in such a poor state of repair.

I mean I could have been there man.
I know what you mean, I drove over that very bridge in Genoa 26 years ago. Twice. Phew, that was a close one.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
The Romans invented concrete, and many structures have survived 2000 years of use and abuse, whats changed is the results of doing bodged work.

Now you get thrown to the media lions, back then, you got thrown to real ones.