Terrible bridge collapse in Italy

Pictures doing the rounds on Italian social media of the state of the bridge prior to its collapse...

View attachment 346382

View attachment 346383

View attachment 346384

View attachment 346385
If the photos are gen then whoever is responsible for maintenance reporting will be in for a very hard time. May even be found dangling from the underside decking of a bridge in the next few weeks if they can find a bridge strong enough to take the weight. Even fly-blown shitholes of countries in deepest darkest Africa have better bridge structures.

How many other Italian bridges are in similar perilous condition?

If the photos are gen then whoever is responsible for maintenance reporting will be in for a very hard time. May even be found dangling from the underside decking of a bridge in the next few weeks if they can find a bridge strong enough to take the weight. Even fly-blown shitholes of countries in deepest darkest Africa have better bridge structures.

How many other Italian bridges are in similar perilous condition?

Italian media are suggesting up to 700

I was discussing this with my mother & we were saying how everyone appeared to have gone straight for looking for someone to blame, rather than discerning the cause of the collapse.
If the images here are indeed of the bridge in question, then I can see why.
The other question is why these images weren't already widely publicised before the collapse.

I was discussing this with my mother & we were saying how everyone appeared to have gone straight for looking for someone to blame, rather than discerning the cause of the collapse.
If the images here are indeed of the bridge in question, then I can see why.
The other question is why these images weren't already widely publicised before the collapse.
Agreed. Those photos are genuinely shocking. As you say, it's a bit shutting the stable door now - it is scary to think that people knew the bridge was crumbling / rusting away and did nothing.

I took a drive-around of the area on streetview. What a truly ugly place, with apartment blocks right underneath the bridge. Even if the thing hadn't collapsed, who the hell would want to live underneath a motorway?

"Terrible bridge collapse in Italy"

now was that Terrible, bridge collapse on Italy

or

Terrible bridge, collapse in Italy

I took a drive-around of the area on streetview. What a truly ugly place, with apartment blocks right underneath the bridge. Even if the thing hadn't collapsed, who the hell would want to live underneath a motorway?

Take a street view down the A4 Autostrada through Lainate Milan towards Trieste direction

This Chap lives nearby, the images show just how big a span it covered
Looking at the angled bridge supports then the earlier photos of crumbling concrete and exposed/rusted reinforcement bars are not the same bridge.

FAKE NEWS!!! (I've turned into The Donald T)

Jeeps! Bridge piers as photographed a few weeks ago!
Classic MafiaCrete®

Watching the BBC video, right at the start when the bridge was going to collapse, there are two flashes of light. Would parting cables heat to such an extent that they would "Flare" or did summat sinister happen? :cool:

Watching the BBC video, right at the start when the bridge was going to collapse, there are two flashes of light. Would parting cables heat to such an extent that they would "Flare" or did summat sinister happen? :cool:
I did notice those also. I suspect they may be he beams of headlights from tumbling cars. I'd take issue with that being the start of the collapse though. The deck is already absent from where it ought to be.