Terrible bridge collapse in Italy

The power & hold the mafia have/had never ceases to amaze me. Why does the Italian government stand for it? I know they’re all seeing & have people in high places, but we’re talking about a decent upstanding (surrendering aside) first world country here. Not some banana republic in the arrsehole of nowhere. They’ve caused pain & misery (& worse) to millions over the years. They just seem to be accepted with a shrug as part & parcel of life.
I can’t imagine we’d put up with it here in Blighty.

One report mentioned the possible cause was a "violent cloudburst" as taking out one of the support columns. If a cloudburst did take out the column, @Wordsmith is right - someone has fucked up with a capital F.

Edited to add: Conspiracy lunatics are already claiming that it was a controlled explosion that did it.
Odds on the Mafia had a hand in the contract to renovate the bridge.
R4 mentioned the possibility of gravel being used in higher proportions in the concrete than it should - gravel being cheaper...

The power & hold the mafia have/had never ceases to amaze me. Why does the Italian government stand for it? I know they’re all seeing & have people in high places, but we’re talking about a decent upstanding (surrendering aside) first world country here. Not some banana republic in the arrsehole of nowhere. They’ve caused pain & misery (& worse) to millions over the years. They just seem to be accepted with a shrug as part & parcel of life.
Yes, we do. They're based in the Palace of Westminster.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Spooky.

During the filming in 1968, the Soviet Army invaded Czechoslovakia to reinstall a hard-line Communist government, forcing the film cast and crew to flee to the West in taxis.[7]

Couple of months ago I saw a review of 1983 The World At The Brink (Taylor Downing). Zero Alpha suggested it go on my wish list for my birthday. So I opened it this morning and literally just finished reading the back story of Yuri Andropov and his position putting him close to the suppression of uprisings in Hungary. And Czechoslovakia in 1968...

I seem to recall that in his book naples 44, Norman Lewis suggested that the Allies could have stamped out such corruption but chose not to.

Odds on the Mafia had a hand in the contract to renovate the bridge.
R4 mentioned the possibility of gravel being used in higher proportions in the concrete than it should - gravel being cheaper...
A civil engineer of my acquaintance was of the opinion that the only time you got a more complex mix than "two sand, one cement" was when you stood over the guys mixing.

Have you read Roberto Saviano's book, Gommorah.......... it's scary......

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

The trouble is, the brutality of the Mafia took equally brutal methods by the State to wipe out. Mussolini dealt with them by the simple solution of having anyone suspected of being a Mafiosi jailed for ever or executed… the survivors quickly hot footed it to the US. Older Italians curse the American for bring them back. For the invasion of Sicily, they took up the offer of Italians-Americans with family connections in the old country to 'assist the invasion'… and they were back in business.