Terrible bridge collapse in Italy

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Jesus, that looks like 200-300 metres or so have gone?

News here suggesting a MassCas level of fatalities.

Christ. You set off for work on another routine day and this comes out of the blue. Absolutely awful and will no doubt impact on hundreds, if not thousands of families. Life is so precious. Awful. :sad:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't like to be first on scene to deal with that!!!
Come now, all you need do is put on the blue lights and set up a cordon.

WHAT, NOT ANOTHER FECKING CORDON!

Ritch

LE
One report mentioned the possible cause was a "violent cloudburst" as taking out one of the support columns. If a cloudburst did take out the column, @Wordsmith is right - someone has fucked up with a capital F.

Edited to add: Conspiracy lunatics are already claiming that it was a controlled explosion that did it.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I read the thread title and wondered if there was such a thing as a good bridge collapse?

I read the thread title and wondered if there was such a thing as a good bridge collapse?
Apparently (if you read the thread about the Parliament Square incident) it would have been if it had taken out cyclists....

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
One report mentioned the possible cause was a "violent cloudburst" as taking out one of the support columns. If a cloudburst did take out the column, @Wordsmith is right - someone has fucked up with a capital F.
Or, being close to Naples, certain Sicilian gentlemen made the City administrators and the contractors an offer they couldn't refuse and the work was done below par so that profits could be creamed off.

Wordsmith

philc

LE
Not only looking at a large loss of life but absolute chaos for many months, thats the link for Italy to South of France, Milan/Turino to Genoa area.

Genoa is a nightmare to try and drive through if you take away motorway equation.

This is the eleventh road bridge collapse in Italy in the last five years.

This article

Dieci i ponti crollati in 5 anni: in calo la manutenzione e gli investimenti

in Italian, states that the cause is lack of investment in the replacement of obsolete bridges. All structures are given a life-span, after which they must be replaced, but in Italy they are not replacing them, even decades after their sell-by dates.

It has been stated on several news channels that the bridge was refurbished two years ago. I would imagine that the architect and clerk of works are feeling rather nervous right now.

A lightning strike would not cause a structure of that nature to collapse. The cause of collapse will be something far more significant.

Corroded reinforcement.
Insufficient reinforcement.
Explosive failure of a pre-stressed member (although I wouldn't expect a single beam failure to cause a collapse).
Something else.

Someone has a lot of explaining to do. Unless the Italians build their bridges as lightly as the septics do, in which case nothing would surprise me...

Latest Threads