Terms and Conditions of Service?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by ThisIsSparta!!, Oct 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where would I be able to find information on the T & C of service for Regular Soldier Entry? Would someone mind briefly explaining or point me in the right direction. I've been searching online and on this site but I'm not too sure if I have the right information.

Many thanks.

2. Have you got the DVD & information pack from armyjobs.mod.uk yet?

It has to be said that lots of the detailed Ts&Cs (the precise rules for expenses claims, etc) are buried in the middle of very dull JSPs that you'll probably never actually see, never mind read, in a 30+ year career (unless you go AGC(SPS), of course!) It's not the same as getting a contract and an Employment Handbook at the start of a civvie job.

3. Thanks for the reply.

I've never seen any DVD or received any information pack..

The reason I asked is because I have my interview this afternoon. I'd heard from others on the site that you MAY be asked to give a brief description of the T & C of service.

What would be your advice on answering if this question gets asked?

4. You need to ask for it.

Err, well, not sure I'm the correct person but ... I'd make sure that you knew what you were actually signing up for - VEng verses the old fixed engagements, what your initial commitment would be, military discipline (and requirement to go to war) - beyond that I'm really not sure. It's a long time since I was behind the desk in a Recruiting Office.

5. Much appreciated Idrach, Thanks for the help.

6. Terms and Conditions is that when you sign up you sign an Open 12 year contract.
    After training (there are a few opurtunities to leave during training) you must serve at least 3 years before you are allowed to put your 12 months notice in (so the minimum time you have to serve is 4 years).

After 12 years you may be offered an extension to your contract.
    If you wish to leave when you are in the Army you must give 12 months notice.

7. You can pull out of the application process at any time. I think you have to serve about 28 days when you begin training - then a further 2 months to decide whether its a suitable career for you. 28 days because on average it takes that long for the human mind to adapt to a new environment. From thereon you are committed to the army for 4 years with further contracts of 12-30 years.