Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by bumhole, Mar 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I live in Oz these days, and the ADF Keep a permanent Rifle Company at Butterworth, in Malaysia. Its really just a 4 month training deployment, and recently its been Reservists and odds and sods as everyone else's tempo of operations has pushed it to the back.

But it seems to be the last toehold of the old tripartite ANZUK joint forces effort, which had bases dotted around Asia.

A big part of ANZUK was the Terendak base, which no one ever seems to talk about or remember. Terendak was/is on the coast of the Malacca straights, and by all accounts was a sizable and expensive base.

I have seen the odd photo and its looks as if it was very modern, and yet it was abandoned in the mid 70s.

Any of the old and bolds serve there? Any memories or stories? I would love to hear more about it.
  2. Lots of 16 and 18 commonwealth brigade still breathing , lots of fond memories of terendak,I personally served with combined english and australian detachments of 18commonwealth field ambulance both in borneo and Thailand, There are 1960,s ex terendak wallahs on bribie and the goldcoast, Iwill be meeting up with terendak medics in uk in 4 weeks, salamat
  3. Cheers Nignoy - I didn't expect them to all be dead!!!

Just a strange thing, it must have cost a shedload of money and it never gets mentioned by anyone. Apparently it was huge.

To quote from the internet: "Four churches, four swimming pools, 900 married quarters, clubs, messes, shopping arcades, schools, kindergartens, such is Terendak. It cost 10 million pounds to build and has been used for only seven years! Such are the whims of our political masters."

I found a good site for a Sig Sqn (208) who were there:

Pam's Terendak section

I heard it didn't close until 74-75 but cant believe that. I was around then and didn't hear of it.

What was the story with Thailand? I knew of the Borneo confrontation, but what was happening in Thailand?
  4. There were detachments of aussie engineers,medics ,cooks attached to operation Crown 1963 to 1968 which was a combined commonwealth brigade operation with royal and kiwi engineers , building an airfield ,roads and the odd bridge that we destroyed, a certain private walpole AACC has recently retired as Director of Catering for the Australian Defence Forces, will try and pop in to terendak on my way back from UK in june will take some piccies for you,salamat
  5. My father was REME in Malaya and I lived there for a few years. The link is fantastic and brought back many similar memories
  6. I was driving my K9 back from a job up-country when the wagon broke down and we were towed to an Aussie Army camp where we were to stay for about a week.

IIRC the wagon was despatched to Terendak whilst we stayed with the Aussies. This camp (don't remember its name) was a staging post for Vietnam and so the pastimes consisted of drinking, drinking and more drinking before the lads were flown out to Saigon. I don't recall much of our stay there - I was permanently pissed but I was assured that a good time was had by all.

On another occasion my unit got to the semi-final/final of the SouthEast Asia football cup (?) and the match was at Terendak - our opponents being an Aussie team. A bit of a kerfuffle between a Brit player and Aussie supporters ended up in the match being abandoned and the riot spilled over to the outside of the camp, with the Kiwis and Brits fighting the Aussies. Later on when we were friends again we were invited to the brothels over the road by our hosts but the RMP/Comwel RMP decided to raid the establishments (prior warning was given about times, etc). As the cops raided the first establishment we were enjoying the delights (only looking, honest) and drinking in the second establishment - this state of affairs concluded when the RMP raided the final brothel. Whereupon they crossed over the road to the Sidney Bar (?), London Bar and Wellington Br (?) and sat amongst us and swopped tales of wonder with us.

At my unit in Singapore they used to post on Part 1 Orders words to the effect of:

The following houses of assignation are Out of Bounds:........
    also the following areas and streets are OOB: Geylang and Bugis Street. These two places are now tourist attractions and Geylang is one large hotel area.

My, how things change, eh?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Im back in Singapore in a couple of weeks time.

Sadly as you say, places like Bugis street are no longer places that would be declared OOB....

I remember reading about it in a News of the World when I was about 14. You can guess the slant - Our wonderful Servicemen being led astray by Asian strumpets and men dressed as women, complete with photos.....

A snipped on wikipages says of Bugis Street: "There was a well-patronised public toilet with a flat roof of which there are archival photos, complete with jubilant rooftop transwomen. One of the "hallowed traditions" bestowed upon the area by sojourning sailors (usually from Britain, Australia and New Zealand), was the ritualistic "Dance Of The Flaming *********" on top of the infamous toilet's roof. Compatriots on the ground would chant the signature "Haul 'em down you Zulu Warrior" song whilst the matelots performed their act".
  8. Aaahhh, the strasse....the toilets were at a crossroads halfway down and we used to sit just to the left side of the crossroads with the toilets on the other side. Prior to 2230 it was chokka with food stalls but as the evening went on it changed into a huge open air drinking establishment - with drink being provided by various shops. The crossroads were the centre of the fun and we would go there most nights along with RMP who would go there in their off duty hours (even though it was STRICTLY OOB), together with Yanks on RnR from Vietnam, Aussies and Brits who sometimes took their wives. The Aussies were a pain - from somewhere they bought little Chinese rockets which, once the fuse was lit, they would launch at unsuspecting guys and their wives. I remember once a rocket hit a Brit wife and the place just erupted and the Shore Patrol and Yankee Snowdrops were called out. IIRC the off-duty RMP were fighting, too.

The locals would beg, too, but not in the normal way. Usually, it was females with young children (anywhere from 3 months to 1 year old) and they would walk around the tables with the child crying its eyes out. If the kid went to sleep (usually through tiredness), the mother would make sure it woke up again whereupon it continued yarking. The mother would then hold her hand out for money to leave you alone - always successful.

Kids about 10 years old and upwards would challenge you to a game of noughts and crosses for 5 cents. You gave them the 5 cents and if you won, they returned it to you. However, the chances were that you were so p*ssed that you constantly lost and therefore they kept the money.

Then we had the kathoey (the Thai name for ladyboys or kai-ties to us), the best looking women in Singapore, who would parade in their finery around the crossroads, seducing any unwary or p*issed young squaddie into a taxi to take a ride to their flats in Geylang, the centre of the brothel area.

My first time down there a Marine was stabbed to death for upsetting one of the noughts and crosses kids.....it wasn't a nice place to be sometimes and there was always an undercurrent of the threat of violence which would never go away.

Over a period of five or six months we gradually got friendly with one of the shops that provided drink and for a couple of cents on top of the normal price we had protection from the hassle.

One night a guy on the next table fell off his chair and apparently died before he hit the ground. He and his mates had been drinking samsue (sp?) a local beverage which passed for brandy. IIRC it was labelled similar to Remy Martin and a bad batch could result in blindness or death, as mentioned above.

If you were to do the Street it was mandatory to watch the sun rise over the street and then quickly dash to the Hotel Singapura at the top of Orchard Road for breakfast of pancakes and maple syrup.

Oh happy days.....
  9. I,m in singers from from 26th of march maybe we can have a singers crawl
  10. singapore was on the way out then ,as soon as they started letting the yanks in!! it was doomed, they had to open more std wards on spike island, have st.ill got some blackand whitesof UJ club swimming pool full of us matelots,having the crap beaten out of them by 5 gurkha dog coy as they tried to climb out of the pool
  11. I remember everything going through the roof price-wise, but I can remember a couple of great nights with the Yanks. I had completed and passed my Class I course and we were on a class p*ss-up in a relatively posh restaurant having a meal and drinking Mateus Rose. A couple of Yanks came in and saw us drinking the wine and (IIRC) one said something like "thats a pussys drink" so we challenged him to drink some. To make it interesting he bought us all a bottle and we sat down and over a period of an hour we had polished off the stuff. They then latched onto us and followed us to the street and then off to the Singapura. The whole night was free, including the food and drink in the restaurant.

I do believe that the Yanks weren't allowed back on their ships or onto their planes with any currency - they had to spend it all.

We spent a lot of time in the Brit Club and apart from drinking, swimming and chatting up the wives we spent quite some time on the massive Scalextric track they had on the second floor. The Yanks brought their own cars and challenged us to races for money, but we borrowed the specially beefed up cars and always beat them.

There was also a mad squaddie who ran from the back of the track room, jumped onto the rail surrounding the balcony and dive into the pool. When the Yanks came ashore he did it for bets.....again, if memory serves me right a Yank tried to emulate him and ended going head first onto the poolside and broke his neck.

I hope to be going back sometime this year, but will spend most of my time up country and pop over the Causeway for a long weekend and meet up with some of my old Army pals.
  12. I was at Terendak June 63 to end of August 65 with 3 RAR, and have been back twice while on holiday in Malaya, the camp was by then (in 1979 and again in 1983) the home of a Malaysian brigade, and we were able to just shown our passport to the Malaysian MP at the gate and drive round the camp, we visited the Cemetery where some of my mates were buried, and as we had our two daughters with us, one of whom was only 3 when we left there, we took them to see the house in Stephenson Avenue where we had lived, and that street had been renamed tunku something or other, and went to the Beach Club, which had piles of garbage strewn around and goats fossicking on the piles looking for food scraps, we also went to what had been the NAAFI, it was by then a shop and had lots of little market stalls, and the old Anglican church had been turned into a mosque, the catholic church appeared to be boarded up, and the St Georges School, where our son started school in 65, was still in operations. We enjoyed it, but were a bit sad about the condition of what had been a well looked after and maintained camp, it had deteriorated. To enter Terendak now you must first apply to the Australian High Commission in KL and they arrange for an entry pass, and you must give them about 3 months notice, so times have changed.