Tenuous Claims to Fame.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I overtook professional darts athlete Martin Wolfie Adams on the southbound M5 near Junction 7 one evening a few years ago. He had a fully liveried up van so by the time I got alongside the drivers window it was just a case of confirming "what 'THE' Martin Adams?!" I didn't wave as that would've been vulgar.

Speaking of the M5 ahem, I once met Leslie Crowther as a kid at some fete or something. I vaguely knew who he was from Come On Down. All I remember thinking was that his teeth took up a lot of space on his face.

Jeremy Clarkson's brother used to come into my mum and dads shop. My mum's disdain of JC is virtually limitless and she didn't like his brother much either. He's got the same lanky gangly gait as JC and is/was a wine critic for one of the broadsheets and also didn't like his brother apparently.

My dad knew one of Queen's (the band, not the head of the commonwealth) roadies.

I ran onto a train at Taunton 5-6 years ago going north and just standing in the vestibule was the shagger from the old Nescafe ads. He glanced up just as I got on and he saw me do a double take of him and he in turn double taked me as if to say 'do I know you? or have you just twigged I'm famous?' but I said nothing as I don't drink coffee and I really don't like Buffy The Vampire Slayer. OK I did think afterwards I wished I'd quipped "Hope there's no vampires on here.... except the ticket inspector of course hahah!!, oh shut up". Oh and he's surprisingly short. I have since learnt he lives on a farm in Somerset.

My sister (I was there) found Sir Hal someone's (Miller's?) bank/credit card in an NCP cark park back in the late 80's. We were both incredulous because it had his title actually stamped on it and thought he may live in a castle.

My sister saw Ulrika Jonsson in Boots in Birmingham giving it the "do you know who I am" in the queue years ago when she was way past her prime and not on the telly.

I saw Michael Eavis in WHSmith in Bath about 10 years ago. Two of the younger female staff were talking and one was asking who it was or who was Michael Eavis i.e. what's his claim to fame?

Around the same time I almost ran Jeremy Guscott over in Bath. He stepped out on to the road at the top of Milsom Street (I saw Rory Bremner there once) expecting me to stop, which I did. Afterwards I went and bought a Karcher window vac from Argos.

I saw Jeff Banks giving some demo in one of the dept. stores in Bath, he kept eye-ing me up as I was probably so out of place amongst the dozen or so middle-aged women who'd stopped to take an interest. I had just stopped to verify that it was definitely his star that had indeed fallen down to high street retail promotional scrounging.

I worked at the same place and same time as Vincent Tabac but don't recall ever really seeing him (the office was a bit of a rabbit warren). I left at Xmas when he committed the murder and nicked her pizza. I went back in the April afterwards and it was all old news by then amongst the staff. When they nicked him the press were camped out outside trying to speak to staff as they came and went, but they were sensibly under strict orders not to interact with them. Plod was still coming in at that time in to interview people who had interacted with him, even just in passing.

I saw, and got video of, Trump's motorcade on the M25 when he was over here. It wasn't that sizeable so it makes me think was it actually him or one of the lackeys going somewhere.

When I was a kid Mike Baldwin came to our town to cut the ribbon for a very small independent gym or spa that had just opened. My mum dragged me and my sister along as she loved Corrie back in those days. I think she got my sister to go up to him to get a signed photo as I remember him saying my mum's name out loud.

My sister's best friend got into FHM's 'High Street Honey's', or whatever it was called, in the late 90's. They had a falling out, as to quote my fairly prudish sister "she had my sloppy seconds" and they never spoke again. Probably irrelevant but they seemed to be a quite a happy affluent middle class family but the wife happened across the internet (back when it was still a novelty) browsing history of the husband one day and pretty much immediately left him permanently on the spot. I never got to find out what it was he was looking at.

My dad went to school with Shakin' Stevens. They weren't in the same year but he said he wasn't old enough to grow side burns so he grew his hair long instead to mimic them. He also said he'd spit constantly. I mentioned to him once a long time ago that he had about a dozen siblings according to Wikipedia. My dad was very sceptical although I expect Wikipedia is right,.

The first traffic warden (ex-Desert Rat) in Worcester used to come in my dad's shop.
It’s surprising how short many thesps are. I met Chris Ellison (DI Burnside) once. TV gave the impression of a big bruiser but he was a fair bit shorter than me and I’m average height.

That said, he was an absolutely lovely guy, very happy to chat and give the time of day, and immaculately dressed. But that more were like him.

I know a skinhead who once beat up Phillip Schofield in the 80s, when he were a lad.

Perhaps Schofield's unsurprising announcement the other year, this may be more of a euphemism

Did any money change hands?

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer

Yokel

LE
I overtook professional darts athlete Martin Wolfie Adams on the southbound M5 near Junction 7 one evening a few years ago. He had a fully liveried up van so by the time I got alongside the drivers window it was just a case of confirming "what 'THE' Martin Adams?!" I didn't wave as that would've been vulgar.

Speaking of the M5 ahem, I once met Leslie Crowther as a kid at some fete or something. I vaguely knew who he was from Come On Down. All I remember thinking was that his teeth took up a lot of space on his face.

Jeremy Clarkson's brother used to come into my mum and dads shop. My mum's disdain of JC is virtually limitless and she didn't like his brother much either. He's got the same lanky gangly gait as JC and is/was a wine critic for one of the broadsheets and also didn't like his brother apparently.

My dad knew one of Queen's (the band, not the head of the commonwealth) roadies.

I ran onto a train at Taunton 5-6 years ago going north and just standing in the vestibule was the shagger from the old Nescafe ads. He glanced up just as I got on and he saw me do a double take of him and he in turn double taked me as if to say 'do I know you? or have you just twigged I'm famous?' but I said nothing as I don't drink coffee and I really don't like Buffy The Vampire Slayer. OK I did think afterwards I wished I'd quipped "Hope there's no vampires on here.... except the ticket inspector of course hahah!!, oh shut up". Oh and he's surprisingly short. I have since learnt he lives on a farm in Somerset.

My sister (I was there) found Sir Hal someone's (Miller's?) bank/credit card in an NCP cark park back in the late 80's. We were both incredulous because it had his title actually stamped on it and thought he may live in a castle.

My sister saw Ulrika Jonsson in Boots in Birmingham giving it the "do you know who I am" in the queue years ago when she was way past her prime and not on the telly.

I saw Michael Eavis in WHSmith in Bath about 10 years ago. Two of the younger female staff were talking and one was asking who it was or who was Michael Eavis i.e. what's his claim to fame?

Around the same time I almost ran Jeremy Guscott over in Bath. He stepped out on to the road at the top of Milsom Street (I saw Rory Bremner there once) expecting me to stop, which I did. Afterwards I went and bought a Karcher window vac from Argos.

I saw Jeff Banks giving some demo in one of the dept. stores in Bath, he kept eye-ing me up as I was probably so out of place amongst the dozen or so middle-aged women who'd stopped to take an interest. I had just stopped to verify that it was definitely his star that had indeed fallen down to high street retail promotional scrounging.

I worked at the same place and same time as Vincent Tabac but don't recall ever really seeing him (the office was a bit of a rabbit warren). I left at Xmas when he committed the murder and nicked her pizza. I went back in the April afterwards and it was all old news by then amongst the staff. When they nicked him the press were camped out outside trying to speak to staff as they came and went, but they were sensibly under strict orders not to interact with them. Plod was still coming in at that time in to interview people who had interacted with him, even just in passing.

I saw, and got video of, Trump's motorcade on the M25 when he was over here. It wasn't that sizeable so it makes me think was it actually him or one of the lackeys going somewhere.

When I was a kid Mike Baldwin came to our town to cut the ribbon for a very small independent gym or spa that had just opened. My mum dragged me and my sister along as she loved Corrie back in those days. I think she got my sister to go up to him to get a signed photo as I remember him saying my mum's name out loud.

My sister's best friend got into FHM's 'High Street Honey's', or whatever it was called, in the late 90's. They had a falling out, as to quote my fairly prudish sister "she had my sloppy seconds" and they never spoke again. Probably irrelevant but they seemed to be a quite a happy affluent middle class family but the wife happened across the internet (back when it was still a novelty) browsing history of the husband one day and pretty much immediately left him permanently on the spot. I never got to find out what it was he was looking at.

My dad went to school with Shakin' Stevens. They weren't in the same year but he said he wasn't old enough to grow side burns so he grew his hair long instead to mimic them. He also said he'd spit constantly. I mentioned to him once a long time ago that he had about a dozen siblings according to Wikipedia. My dad was very sceptical although I expect Wikipedia is right,.

The first traffic warden (ex-Desert Rat) in Worcester used to come in my dad's shop.

Tropper? I thought you had been banned from the Internet? Did you meet anyone interesting on a cold winter night in Belfast? Apart from the Grim Reaper.....

Tropper invented fame.

I was once on a train from Cornwall somewhere or other back to London. As the client was paying I was in the first class carriage. I was aware of a couple sat in the same carriage also but as I was facing in the opposite direction I did not take any notice even when the bloke walked passed me to the buffet car. When he returned to his seat he was followed by a bunch of young blokes who I think were a rugby team. They all milled around at the door of the carriage mumbling to each other with "is it him" type comments. One of them eventually nonchalantly strolled through the carriage and back to his mates to tell them yes it is. It was only when we got to Paddington and they got off I realised it was Paula Yates and Michael Hutchene.

I went to school with David Mitchell (From Mitchell and Webb). I used to take the piss out of his yellow bucked teeth relentlessly.

Site Admin

Old-Salt
I worked with a chap called Simon Smith who was clueless as to why I asked him the whereabouts of his amazing dancing bear.

Robert Maxwell and Chris Evans were on my college course. The novelty wore off after about a week once each lecturer was introduced to them and had a good chuckle.

I was once on a train from Cornwall somewhere or other back to London. As the client was paying I was in the first class carriage. I was aware of a couple sat in the same carriage also but as I was facing in the opposite direction I did not take any notice even when the bloke walked passed me to the buffet car. When he returned to his seat he was followed by a bunch of young blokes who I think were a rugby team. They all milled around at the door of the carriage mumbling to each other with "is it him" type comments. One of them eventually nonchalantly strolled through the carriage and back to his mates to tell them yes it is. It was only when we got to Paddington and they got off I realised it was Paula Yates and Michael Hutchene.
I was once waiting to give evidence at a trial at Knightsbridge Crown Court when Paula Yates pitched up, also a witness but for the defence
She plonked herself down a couple of seats away from me , much to my regret.
Never in my life have I smelt someone so disgusting, her BO was off the scale, absolutely horrendous.
On the plus side, every time I see or hear that sanctimonious twat Geldof, I have a chuckle imagining his horror when she demanded oral...

Latest Threads