Tenuous Claims to Fame.

Timeline: Late 70s
Place: Hotel Kempinski - Kurfurstendamm -Berlin
Richard Astbury (BFBS broadcaster) shared our Berlin Brigade Mess, he had recently moved from Cologne but was without temporarily his music/tapes/albums etc.,
he was due to interview Demis Roussos with a view to building a programme around this. I had all his albums so a deal was made:-
I accompanied Richard and the man arrived with his driver/record producer - no entourage, the best three hour lunchtime meeting of my life, such a sweet, interesting down to earth man you could wish to meet and talk about charisma!
Fast forward three years: Bournemouth, we saw his show and went back to the stage door to catch a glimpse: the double doors flew open, he stood there, looked around at all these clamouring folks, looked across the top of the waiting limo straight at me ( wearing my Demis Roussos gown) pointed and said, Berlin! Never has my flabber been so gasted but a moment to treasure. :aww:

Demis Roussos!..............................Snigger.

Richard Astbury (BFBS broadcaster) shared our Berlin Brigade Mess, he had recently moved from Cologne but was without temporarily his music/tapes/albums etc.,
he was due to interview Demis Roussos with a view to building a programme around this. I had all his albums so a deal was made:-
I accompanied Richard and the man arrived with his driver/record producer - no entourage, the best three hour lunchtime meeting of my life, such a sweet, interesting down to earth man you could wish to meet and talk about charisma!
Fast forward three years: Bournemouth, we saw his show and went back to the stage door to catch a glimpse: the double doors flew open, he stood there, looked around at all these clamouring folks, looked across the top of the waiting limo straight at me ( wearing my Demis Roussos gown) pointed and said, Berlin! Never has my flabber been so gasted but a moment to treasure. :aww:
Full marks for admitting to owning all (well any) of Demis Roussos’s albums. Very rock n’ roll.

He remembered you forever and ever...

Fast forward three years: Bournemouth, we saw his show and went back to the stage door to catch a glimpse: the double doors flew open, he stood there, looked around at all these clamouring folks, looked across the top of the waiting limo straight at me ( wearing my Demis Roussos gown) pointed and said, Berlin! Never has my flabber been so gasted but a moment to

Demis Roussos!..............................Snigger.

I've always liked him. Very popular in Germany in the 70's. The Greeks seem to hate him for some reason.

Not me, but an old friend.

He was in Marbella, Spain a long time ago doing some gigs as a Jazz drummer. One afternoon he was in the venue bar when he got chatting to the only other guy there, an American, really nice guy. Mike told him that that evening him and the band had a gig in the same place.

Anyway, Mike left and returned later that evening. When he got there he got chatting to the barman who said "You and the band, all your drinks are paid for tonight". "Why is that replied Mike, it's not in our contract or anything". "No said the barman, that guy were talking to earlier was Hugh Hefner, he said to put the band's drinks on his tab".

Not me, but an old friend.

He was in Marbella, Spain a long time ago doing some gigs as a Jazz drummer. One afternoon he was in the venue bar when he got chatting to the only other guy there, an American, really nice guy. Mike told him that that evening him and the band had a gig in the same place.

Anyway, Mike left and returned later that evening. When he got there he got chatting to the barman who said "You and the band, all your drinks are paid for tonight". "Why is that replied Mike, it's not in our contract or anything". "No said the barman, that guy were talking to earlier was Hugh Hefner, he said to put the band's drinks on his tab".

A whole band can get pissed for 20 Pesos in Spain.
Who's Hugh Hefner?

A whole band can get pissed for 20 Pesos in Spain.
Who's Hugh Hefner?
He's the founder of Playboy Magazine in America. you might be too young to remember him?

Also, I don't think a band can get pissed for 20 pesos at the yacht club in Marbella (we're not talking Torremolinos, where the riff-raff go!)

Last edited:

Hmm.. Cologne Bahnhof c. 1954. My mother & I were on our way to visit her sister whose husband was stationed at RAF Wahn near Cologne with the 2nd TAF. As a result of numerous delays we didn't arrive until nearly midnight.
Problem, no aunt or uncle at the bahnhof, no probs go outside & get taxi to my uncles MQ, a hiring away from the airfield, which my mother happily had written down, its still there ... Widdiger Str. 18 · Widdiger Str. 18, 50968 Köln, Germany
Only to find the lights out & U & A not there. What to do, taxi's gone we don't know way back so knock at neighbours house waking him up, happily an Englishman. He is sympathetic after we explained situation, invites us in gives us a cup of tea. A few minutes late my U & A turn up, apologies & thanks all round. Before we went to bed my U said, "do you know who that was?" It was Bill Crozier the German half of two way family favourites who worked for the British Forces Broadcasting Service.
A memorable holiday where @ just 15 I was able to buy my first bier in a riverside cafe/bar for myself & my 14 year old cousin. My uncle also took us to the Nürburgring to see the German Grand Prix, where I saw the great Fangio driving & winning, beating Stirling Moss in the process!

Fast forward three years: Bournemouth, we saw his show and went back to the stage door to catch a glimpse: the double doors flew open, he stood there, looked around at all these clamouring folks, looked across the top of the waiting limo straight at me ( wearing my Demis Roussos gown) pointed and said, Berlin! Never has my flabber been so gasted but a moment to treasure.
I didn't like Astbury's sleazy sexual suggestiveness in his morning housewives show on BFBS Cologne. It seemed so out of place when many of the menfolk were away on exercise or Op Banner.

Are you sure that she did not just show you a photograph of her sister during chemotherapy?
Reminds me, did every Basic intake have somebody with a sh*te, biff haircut thus acquiring the nickname ‘Chemo’ that stuck throughout service? I seem to remember dozens cropping up (no pun intended).

There was a REME recruit in 72 who looked like a concentration camp victim after his haircut. His name was Dave Prendergast and from Manchester.
His nickname became Belsen and it stuck.

Hmm.. Cologne Bahnhof c. 1954. My mother & I were on our way to visit her sister whose husband was stationed at RAF Wahn near Cologne with the 2nd TAF. As a result of numerous delays we didn't arrive until nearly midnight.
Problem, no aunt or uncle at the bahnhof, no probs go outside & get taxi to my uncles MQ, a hiring away from the airfield, which my mother happily had written down, its still there ... Widdiger Str. 18 · Widdiger Str. 18, 50968 Köln, Germany
Only to find the lights out & U & A not there. What to do, taxi's gone we don't know way back so knock at neighbours house waking him up, happily an Englishman. He is sympathetic after we explained situation, invites us in gives us a cup of tea. A few minutes late my U & A turn up, apologies & thanks all round. Before we went to bed my U said, "do you know who that was?" It was Bill Crozier the German half of two way family favourites who worked for the British Forces Broadcasting Service.
A memorable holiday where @ just 15 I was able to buy my first bier in a riverside cafe/bar for myself & my 14 year old cousin. My uncle also took us to the Nürburgring to see the German Grand Prix, where I saw the great Fangio driving & winning, beating Stirling Moss in the process!
I still remember going over Koln railway bridge and seeing the massive 4711 signs as some of Mums extended family lived there c 1955 and later still in the 1970's. Bill Crozier was always on on Sundays. Dad used to be a great fan of GrandPrix and Fangio he idolised. Stirling was a close second as was Clarke.

I still remember going over Koln railway bridge and seeing the massive 4711 signs as some of Mums extended family lived there c 1955 and later still in the 1970's. Bill Crozier was always on on Sundays. Dad used to be a great fan of GrandPrix and Fangio he idolised. Stirling was a close second as was Clarke.

The 4711 signage is still there, well it was 2.5 years ago when I was in Koln for my disc replacement op........it'll be there forever.

Nowadays, just like they do on some bridges in Paris, couples leave a padlock on the Koln railway bridge as a sign of their undying love.

DSCN0400-1.jpg

DSCN0401.jpg

Dara O'Brien once called me a **** as I brushed him with a chair while clearing the bar furniture during the Edinburgh festival. I had no idea who he was so just ignored him.

I bet he started off with that “Da.a.r.e” phrase he seems to use all the time!

Last edited:

syrup

LE
Dara O'Brien once called me a **** as I brushed him with a chair while clearing the bar furniture during the Edinburgh festival. I had no idea who he was so just ignored him.

You should have wrapped the chair round his fat bald head
That would have been far more entertaining than any of his "comedy" output.