Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tenuous Claims to Fame.

Mmmm and words can't have multiple meanings then?

gaff4
/ɡaf/
Learn to pronounce
noun
INFORMAL•BRITISH
noun: gaff; plural noun: gaffs

1. a house, flat, or other building, especially as being a person's home.
    "Gav's new gaff is in McDonald Road"
Origin
mid 18th century (in sense ‘a fair’): of unknown origin.
Having said that perhaps there is a connection on the basis of “sling yer ‘ook.”

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
most vague claim to fame .

My mate had the Cuban distibution rights for the movie " mi left foot ."

It's also what booties wear according to the Urban Dictionary:

gaff

Panties designed for men to hide their bulge and tuck it underneath them like a good crossdresser should

It took Mike a few minutes to put on his gaff to begin his transformation to
Michelle
Every day's a school day here on ARRSE. :thumleft: :?8)

Baboon monkey teacher.jpg
Brainy Pup Rupert Bear Cartoon.jpg

Bump.

My mum was going through some old shite recently and found the tenancy agreement from when George Lucas rented my grandfather’s flat.

Turns out I was a few years out with the dates. He was there from the 2nd of Feb 1976. Wiki says he finished the final draft of the script in March 1976. The first film came out in mid 1977.

From that we can safely assume he spent most of Feb and March ‘76, hurriedly writing at the kitchen table of this flat, finalising the script and finishing off the story.

So there you go. Proof that I own the table that Star Wars was written on (at least partially).

View attachment 474437
Alternatively, you could claim that this was the kitchen table that George Lucas did Mrs Lucas over.... Your call

Bump.

My mum was going through some old shite recently and found the tenancy agreement from when George Lucas rented my grandfather’s flat.

Turns out I was a few years out with the dates. He was there from the 2nd of Feb 1976. Wiki says he finished the final draft of the script in March 1976. The first film came out in mid 1977.

From that we can safely assume he spent most of Feb and March ‘76, hurriedly writing at the kitchen table of this flat, finalising the script and finishing off the story.

So there you go. Proof that I own the table that Star Wars was written on (at least partially).

View attachment 474437

you sure it wasn't the bloke who did the dodgy headlights on your land rover? The real Prince of darkness.

Over the lockdown there has been a bloke doing his daily exercise on the green in front of my house. He has been taking it seriously, measures the distance with a trundle wheel for his sprints and setting cones up for zig zag type things. I spoke to him a few times after his workout about how seriously he was taking his fitness and he mentioned he had to keep fit for his job as he gets sent exercises to do each day.

Just recently he says he can go back to work for his training and he has to go up to Blackburn. Turns out I was talking to Elliott Bennett, the captain of Blackburn Rovers. He seems to be an ok bloke and not as I imagined a pro footballer to be.

RP.

most vague claim to fame .

My mate had the Cuban distibution rights for the movie " mi left foot ."

I gave that an Excellent because it is probably the most random and, as you say, vague claim yet. Made me laugh anyway... :)

How close did you get? Tested positive for vivid last week

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

We were both outside and over 3 metres apart. I feel alright at the moment. Size 11 Goretex boots and Meindl desert boots available if I cark it.

RP

Whilst I have not pissed up against the tree that Marc Bolan blew his lights out by ramming his Mini into it, my mate Chris has! Oh yes, that is how to do it. Be a British pop music star at the very pinnacle of your career and blat into a tree in a in an iconic British car in a middle class suburb of London.
Get more tenuous than that!!

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Whilst I have not pissed up against the tree that Marc Bolan blew his lights out by ramming his Mini into it, my mate Chris has! Oh yes, that is how to do it. Be a British pop music star at the very pinnacle of your career and blat into a tree in a in an iconic British car in a middle class suburb of London.

I went passed that not long ago. Barnes isn’t it? Still a load flowers & assorted shit tied to it nearly 50yr later.

Marc Bolan's last hit before he died was tie a yellow mini round the old oak tree.

Ah that'll be me taxi.

In_Twists

Old-Salt
Have you had any such vague brushes with fame & celebrity that will impress nobody around the dinner table?
Here is a couple for starters:
My sister’s best friend at primary school, ‘Little Jo’, was the cousin of the bloke who was drummer with 10cc. True that!
Another one, not going quite as far back but still only the older FARRTSE (I believe that that is the correct collective noun), will remember that Wendy James of Transvision Vamp. She and Jason Donovan got slung out of and barred from my local boozer because she was being a massive gobshite.
Beat them if you can.

Wendy James said Hi to me in a pub in Notting Hill.
Thats it.

Latest Threads