Tenuous Claims to Fame.

JackSofty

Old-Salt
Yes some of the RA though it would be good idea to rob the Sigs Cpls mess barman. Gave him a good kicking and left him outside the then 4 Sqn door. He died of hypothermia. They, I hope are still in a German prison.
Bugger! Note to self (again): When trying to be flippantly, vaguely amusing, read previous posts.
I am not a dickhead but you can see the scar from brow penisectomy.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

To be fair, if you made his life story up people would accuse you of being unrealistic. How many people could out 'dit' him?
I could - I've been told to pi$$ off by Richard Madelely!

I've also had a gun pointed at me by a greek policeman - and I stuck my finger in the tip of the barrel and...

He ended up onboard down the mess and we all got leathered...and day after we got shiters with him and his oppos in Kalamata.

I've also 'Beadwindowed' "Redcrown" down the gulf on AAWC (anti air warfare coordination net) - The equivilent of a Corporal telling a general to wind his neck in. Redcrown replied with the ONLY answer to a beadwindow - "Roger out".
I'd forgotton what I was originally gonna say by that time so a brief moment of silence ensued on the net.

Dits?? I've heard dits spun about me by first-shippers cklaiming to have seen/heard x,y,z first hand.

I'm a matelot enigma!

Last edited:
To be fair, if you made his life story up people would accuse you of being unrealistic. How many people could out 'dit' him?

Ravers?

The BBC docu on Eric Brown is superb. He was quite simply an utterly remarkable and very driven man. Not the easiest bloke to live though - which isn't all that surprising.

Piss off, the Naafi bar and swimming pool , were both on the RA side . The main Naffi was at the top of camp next to the footy and rugby pitches. . You are talking shite. 4 Sqn lines were connected to the RA lines, we had a bit of a shite storm after one battle camp as someone in 4 Sqn had kept a few Thunder-flashes. Between the R. Sigs lines and the RA lines there was a hole in the wall.Said thunder flashes were posted to the RA , this was just after they killed the Cpls mess barman . So feelings we’re not good between the two regiments. I remember when 49 took over from 27. In the Naffi bar , on the RA side of camp the 49 RA were trying to show force, started throwing glasses at us signals, we replied with the same. Then the Regi MPs turned up.

Way after I left in 81, as for the pool, I do remember a pool up the top end by the OR's cookhouse. I do not remember any agro between us and the RA while I was there. The NAAFI at the top of the camp, if memory serves, next to the big car park, used by all, no bother from the RA. The killing of the Cpls mess barmen, more info please, dates names time. I was OC4's driver, 4 Sqn. the CO was Lt Col J**** A******. SAS

Ravers?

The BBC docu on Eric Brown is superb. He was quite simply an utterly remarkable and very driven man. Not the easiest bloke to live though - which isn't all that surprising.
I’ve mentioned before , I had the pleasure of a mild interrogation on flying flexwing s by winkle at a piss up at Jeff quills house. Absolute gents both.
( getting shot at by germans must mellow you in later life !).

I have had the pleasure of being closeted with HRH the Princess Royal and she is a darn sight more aesthetically lovely than she appears on camera. I would in a flash.

Princess Anne was on a visit to Theipval Barracks, Lisburn in about 1990ish to visit the troops.

Myself and a colleague were ordered to attend (in uniform) the meet & greet at the green hanger, with various others in attendance.

HRH kindly remarked to me and my mate that our hair was awfully long for soldiers, a fact that the SSM took great delight in.

The fact we both had permission to have longer hair was completely lost on the thick cunts.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Princess Anne was on a visit to Theipval Barracks, Lisburn in about 1990ish to visit the troops.

Myself and a colleague were ordered to attend (in uniform) the meet & greet at the green hanger, with various others in attendance.

HRH kindly remarked to me and my mate that our hair was awfully long for soldiers, a fact that the SSM took great delight in.

The fact we both had permission to have longer hair was completely lost on the thick cnuts.
Having chosen to join a regiment currently on an 18-month tour in NI, when I got to trade training and it was confirmed (early 76) that I would actually join in Omagh (under-18s went to a 15/19H troop attached 4/7DG in Tidworth), I learned that this posting exempted me from haircuts. So I made use.

Rocked up in Omagh. Met Guard Commander, Squadron Clerk, RSM (for CO). RSM suggested a haircut. Well that didn't last long.

Last edited:
Way after I left in 81, as for the pool, I do remember a pool up the top end by the OR's cookhouse. I do not remember any agro between us and the RA while I was there. The NAAFI at the top of the camp, if memory serves, next to the big car park, used by all, no bother from the RA. The killing of the Cpls mess barmen, more info please, dates names time. I was OC4's driver, 4 Sqn. the CO was Lt Col J**** A******. SAS
I don't remember any aggro from 27 Fd Regt either, apart from the normal squaddie barfights in the two stinking drinking holes near the railway crossing. Frequented mostly by those with no imagination.

The killing of the screws' mess barman was either in 82 or 83. Two idiots thought they would jump him for his takings, early one cold winter's morning. They left him unconscious outside in the snow and he died before he was found in the morning (I think it was Cliff B that found him). The victim wasn't VJ, who had done the job for years, but the bloke that took over from him. Even then the aggro level didn't increase, although there was some animosity for a while. Nobody with two braincells blamed the whole regiment for the stupid actions of two individuals.

As for the thunderflash story. 4 Sqn garages didn't connect to 56 (Hy) Bty garages, so that didn't happen. As you say they were on the other side of the invisible line, several hundred metres away. Although 4 Sqn and 56 (Hy) Bty did share accommodation corridors in block 7, with only a thin fire door dividing them. Apart from the odd corridor party, that line was also only very rarely crossed.

DITA

MIA
Mate, you niece is going to be a stunner when she's older (assuming she's still at school)
The girl in the advert?

Shes Oxo family, not any blood relation!

JackSofty

Old-Salt
Shared a helicopter to the Isles of Scilly once with Janet Street Porter.

Spent most of the journey with my head out the door to get away from the noise.
One of those dreadful broadcasters who cannot even pronounce the word ‘pronunciation’.
In my yoof, she single-handedly ruined yoof television, even though I was part of her core demographic, she rendered anything that she touched unwatchable crud.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
paddyplanty The NAAFI Bar 36
Joshua Slocum The NAAFI Bar 174
vvaannmmaann The NAAFI Bar 271

Latest Threads