Tenuous Claims to Fame.

Waz

Old-Salt
John McVicar used to drink in the local pub before, i was old enough to drink, but my Dad knew him to say hello to.
My best mate's sister went out with Elvis Costello.
I once gave Errol Brown a lift to the airport.
I saw a bloke in a shop once I thought I recognised and may or may not have been on telly.

syrup

LE
I used to drink with Elvis Presley, every Wednesday at our local in Durham, this is a true story honestly,but got to go now the nurse is coming with my meds
Both Elvis and myself were in the Army all be it 30 years apart
We both had some time in Germany too.

Saw Ant or Dec in a York pub no wonder he needed rehab the birds were queing round the place to have a selfie taken with them.
Saw Noel Gallagher at Northolt and then walking down a street in London.
DoW came to see us off for Telic.
One of the officers on Telic did the Royal Baby snaps
I walked past a tramp one day in London leaning against a door with a carrier full of cans and half cu about 09:00 on a Sunday.
Mate pointed out it was George Best very sad to see him like that.
Ewan McGregor's brother was a Tornado Pilot nice bloke probably a bit sick of the can't you use the force jokes by now though
I let Stephen Fry on camp once without checking his ID or booking car in - it was one of those when you recognise his face jobs and are 11 hours into it.
He was very nice about it after they had to get him to come and register his car on camp - two weeks extra guard help me in my car checking duties after that.
When in Cyprus I hid under the bowser to avoid Prince Andrew
We did Soldier Soldier as extras my mate told Paddy he was a crap singer he wasn't amused the wee Geordie Robson was cracking though Donna was Gorgeous had lunch Tim Healy as his wife was in it he was a TA Para.

Chef

LE
I once sold a Sony Trinitron portable TV to Elvis Costello under his real name, Mcmanus as I had to fill in the TV licence card. This was at Barkers of Kensington.

Where I also sold Willie Rushton a goat skin rug.

Greville Wynn the English half of Wynn and Penkovsky came down the escalators at the same store.

Plus I had carnal knowledge of David Coleman's daughter while she was working there,*

*Not that David Coleman but he did work in TV.

Heard a story from a crab about Anne. A stewart on the royal flight had been out on the lash the night before a scheduled flight for Princess Anne. Next morning as doing final prep for the flight, He's taken short, and dashes to the royal thunderbox on board, for a horrendous Guinness and curry fueled evacuation. Light headed with relief, He cleans the cubicle up, but theres still a smell like an autopsy in it. He opens the door to leave and meets the Princess Royal about to enter. He touches forelock, mumbles greeting and scurries off to the galley as She enters the gas chamber...
She is dead down to earth- on The Cumberland she was onboard for a bit every week whilst alongside in Guzz. If rugby was on she'd send crates of beer down messdecks. She'd come down the messdecks (with an officer entourage) and the officers would all be giving it 'career smiles' etc and she'd come out with, and it sounds funny coming from someone you'd expect not to say: "So you're all going out and getting shiters tonight I expect?". She remembered the crew and could carry on conversations after last seeing weeks before. Tim however- was an utter cock. Ever heard the dit about the ship's captain altering ship's course because he was reading on the bridge wing and the sun was in his eyes? - That was him whilst we sailed enroute to Ex-Purple Star...which we essentially gatecrashed. The ship was not actually designated to be involved in some of the exercises but...we "got involved". During a designated exercise standoff- and yank admiralty had decreed "sports day standoff" with a 'flyby' by yank admiral - Tim ordered "clear lower deck" (everybody muster in designated area) all ships company in sports rig on upper deck for duration of flypast by yank admiral. Once completed, ship's company assumed defence watches and 'scrubbing out' the ship - whilst all the other naval Purple star assets were having barbecues and flightdeck sport.

@alfred_the_great You heard dits about Tim? What would your opinion be of him as a jimmy acting like that?
Btw, Jimmy at the time was ??? Millward..a Yorkshireman. Only officer I've ever heard with a northern (ish) accent.

Further tenuous claim to fame...The current master of household Buckingham Palace will know me if my name is mentioned to him. He's an ex skipper of mine also. I have a phot of him apple-dunking down the wrens mess on halloween, and also of him with a condom on his shoulder whilst ashore in Amsterdam (he didnt know the condom was on his shoulder. Thoroughly nice guy and best skipper I ever had. Example- xmas day'95 alongside in Guzz, I was BM (upperdeck sentry type thing) He came onboard with his family, shitloads of chocolates and...stood us down weapons so we could take in turns to go down the mess and have a few beers!

Last edited:

Oyibo

LE
She is dead down to earth- on The Cumberland she was onboard for a bit every week whilst alongside in Guzz. If rugby was on she'd send crates of beer down messdecks. She'd come down the messdecks (with an officer entourage) and the officers would all be giving it 'career smiles' etc and she'd come out with, and it sounds funny coming from someone you'd expect not to say: "So you're all going out and getting shiters tonight I expect?". She remembered the crew and could carry on conversations after last seeing weeks before. Tim however- was an utter cock. Ever heard the dit about the ship's captain altering ship's course because he was reading on the bridge wing and the sun was in his eyes? - That was him whilst we sailed enroute to Ex-Purple Star...which we essentially gatecrashed. The ship was not actually designated to be involved in some of the exercises but...we "got involved". During a designated exercise standoff- and yank admiralty had decreed "sports day standoff" with a 'flyby' by yank admiral - Tim ordered "clear lower deck" (everybody muster in designated area) all ships company in sports rig on upper deck for duration of flypast by yank admiral. Once completed, ship's company assumed defence watches and 'scrubbing out' the ship - whilst all the other naval Purple star assets were having barbecues and flightdeck sport.

@alfred_the_great You heard dits about Tim? What would your opinion be of him as a jimmy acting like that?
Btw, Jimmy at the time was ??? Millward..a Yorkshireman. Only officer I've ever heard with a northern (ish) accent.

Further tenuous claim to fame...The current master of household Buckingham Palace will know me if my name is mentioned to him. He's an ex skipper of mine also. I have a phot of him apple-dunking down the wrens mess on halloween, and also of him with a condom on his shoulder whilst ashore in Amsterdam (he didnt know the condom was on his shoulder. Thoroughly nice guy and best skipper I ever had. Example- xmas day'95 alongside in Guzz, I was BM (upperdeck sentry type thing) He came onboard with his family, shitloads of chocolates and...stood us down weapons so we could take in turns to go down the mess and have a few beers!
Ah! Purple Star and morale vacuums.

We had an American exchange officer as Sp Coy Commander. Whilst in Fort Brag prior to the exercise starting in earnest, the battalion was stood down for a short number of days. Everyone went to places like Daytona Beach during bike week except Sp Coy - so that we could "show the CO how keen we were". W@anker. He used to drop out of tabs as well the fat useless twat.

There is a street in Derby which is my surname. As my surname is unusual persec stops me from posting its name. I wouldn’t want to live there.

My brother has been looking into the family tree. Years ago we came from Norfolk and in the past there was a Hornigold in the family. (Not my surname) I don’t think this is a common name. It turns out here was a famous pirate Capt Hornigold, who gave a boat to his 1st Lt, some bloke known as Blackbeard. My brother is just trying to prove the link between the Hornigold in the family and the pirate. Aaar me hearties.

RP.
My bold Hmm … Can you imagine how many times as a 6'4" Rugby playing Ex Colonial Policeman I had "ooh Matron" said to me for having the misfortune to have the same name as this character ..

1579361087658.png

ACAB

LE
I used to go to school with Paul King. of the Band 'King'. He used to be a good lad and was never short of lady friends.

There is a street in Avonmouth named after my great granddad's brother. Boss of the docks and local Councillor.

Eddie Jordan supplied the wine for my wedding, not that he knew about it at the time.

Red Bull Racing supplied the Baltic Birch for my speaker cab, not that they knew about it at the time.

The most tenuous ancestry chain links me to Edward IV, and I live at the location of his greatest victory.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

RigPig

War Hero
What were you searching for when you found that? Not that your personal proclivities are any of my business. Just interested.
I had been reading about OP CHARIOT and was intrigued about the small craft, Motor Gun Boats, Motor Torpedo Boats and E Boats. I just kept clicking links on wiki and looked at all sorts of patrol boats. The name just stuck in my head from years ago. I can’t see it being used today.

Who’d not want a cabbie on a small boat with stupid large engines that can do 40 knots.

RP.

ugly

LE
Roy Walker of catchphrase fame regularly used to travel on the 0630 service from Blackpool South to Preston and then onto that there London. He was a miserly, grumpy old bastard who called me a cnut for not letting him use his Senior Citizens Railcard to buy his ticket
Quite right far too early unless bought as an advanced

ugly

LE
Me and Windsor Davies were good mates in the mid/late 70s. He would stop and have a good ol' chinwag with me on Wallington high street many a time. Well... so my mum tells me 'cos I was only about 1yr old at the time. Still, a true gent and plenty of time for everyone. RIP Windsor.
He was my in laws next door neighbour wife’s Grandad was a gunner in both wars and Windsor was a very nice chap

Londo

LE
I was once hated by all the Nolan sisters .

What the hell was Ronnie Biggs doing on a warship? Trying to rob it?
1976 in Rio. I think it was 2nd Flotilla, HMS Tiger as flagship with 7th Frigate Sqn and HMS Conqueror and some RFAs over for FMS and exercises with the Brazilians. We were alongside for ten days and sometime early on some of our ROs met Ronnie (the sponger) in a bar after many drinks they invited him back onboard. They'd been back onboard for about an hour when the penny dropped with OOD as to why the ROs guest seemed familiar.

The Captain was informed immediately (+1h). He scurried off to Tiger to seek the advice of FOF2. He in turn sought advice the appropriate person in the UK. Apparently it went something like "Get him the fukk off your ship now". Ronnie by now (+3h) in an advanced state of inebriation was assisted down the gangway.

It got a bit awkward because one of the lads phoned his dad who in turn did his duty and phoned the Sun.

After the ten days in Rio we went out on exercises with the Brazilians for a week. Then it was back into Rio for a week to drink on the expense accounts of the press corps. This of course is where some of the more outlandish tales in the press came from.

Happy days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
paddyplanty The NAAFI Bar 36
Joshua Slocum The NAAFI Bar 174
vvaannmmaann The NAAFI Bar 271

Latest Threads