Tenth “SAR Queen” Delivered to Norway - AW101 from Yeovil

I assume all versions of the Merlin/AW101 have the same rotor? How does it cope with SAR? I have read things that claim the downdraft from the rotor is excessive for thins like winching survivors out of the sea.

Has this ever caused problems during a SAR mission? The designers did consider SAR as a primary mission for the aircraft.
No more than the S92

Yokel

LE
But at the time all the naysayers and doom mongers were busy claiming that the downdraft would make winching survivors problematic. I am sure that the crews have simply got used to it, and the survivor being winched up from a sinking ship or life raft are unlike to complain.

I am sure that Merlins deployed about ships have done SAR for real.

I assume all versions of the Merlin/AW101 have the same rotor? How does it cope with SAR? I have read things that claim the downdraft from the rotor is excessive for thins like winching survivors out of the sea.

Has this ever caused problems during a SAR mission? The designers did consider SAR as a primary mission for the aircraft.
The aircraft will ideally be positioned head into the wind for winching, and if there is a bit of headwind, it should put the downwash to the rear of the cab, away from the winchman and casualty. Or the rotor downwash can be managed, by winching from a greater height.

Yokel

LE

Who?

The aircraft will ideally be positioned head into the wind for winching, and if there is a bit of headwind, it should put the downwash to the rear of the cab, away from the winchman and casualty. Or the rotor downwash can be managed, by winching from a greater height.

That has gone over my head I am afraid. I do remember all the naysayers on PPRuNe saying that Merlin would produce much more downdraft than a Sea King, so it would be unsuited to SAR. Yet SAR was going to be a secondary mission for the shipborne ones....

Cromarty

War Hero
But at the time all the naysayers and doom mongers were busy claiming that the downdraft would make winching survivors problematic. I am sure that the crews have simply got used to it, and the survivor being winched up from a sinking ship or life raft are unlike to complain.

I am sure that Merlins deployed about ships have done SAR for real.

They said the same thing when we (RAN) got the Seahawk. Took the divers a while to get used to jumping from them too.

Latest Threads