Tent hats are ally as fcuk

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Yeoman_dai, Jul 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. which one are you referring to, bloke on the left or the bloke on the right
  2. Lol left. The one on the right looks a little too American for me.
  3. They look too "RAF" for my liking.
  4. No it makes you look like a 3rd World African country dictator.

5. What does it look like unfolded?
  6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The hat worn by the Rifles Colonel is a "side hat" as worn by amongst others the Gunners (Field Regiments), the Crabs and errrmmm......

I was under the impression that Tent hats were the variety worn by Skins Officers (on exercise complete with silver, napery and fizz). But I stand to be corrected
  7. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

They look fcuking gay and in no way ally. Kind of thing you would expect the Salvation Army, hello sailors and Banana Republic despots to wear with misplaced pride.
  8. oh you mean the side hat, I believe every Cav Regt has them, at least mine did.
  9. Worn by the Crabs ehh? Answers the question - NO they're not ally.
  10. Bloody Forage Caps..... a bit too "Dad's army" unless you are a "donkey Spanker" and like to wear bright colours!

I bought one when I was a crab, wore it twice (Got a Bo**ocking fo wearing it backwards when I got shedded in the NAAFI) and then it sat in the back of my drawer for 20 years or so, saw the RA one when I joined them and nearly ran away from it!

Useless un-gucci fashion accessory if you ask me...
  11. Nah ... they're great - if you use 'em proper like.

I had one when I was in the Signals, early 70's, used to hold my fish supper on a friday night and unlike the paper crap of today, the vinegar never leaked !!
  12. It's not a forage cap!
  13. Folded Down?...rather like this I beleive

14. Nomenclature "Caps FS" = Forage Service

There you go, all the gaudy colours you could wish for!

Dingerr.....NOT just worn by the RAF...but still as Ally as a bag of Marshmallows...the crabs that tend to wear them are usually Ops Flight Bods who think they are Rodneys, it goes along with Shiney shoes,Wedgewood blue shirt, Black tie & RAF Stable Belt and usually gets many cat calls and smacks round the ear in the NAAFI.

It is usual to walk up behind an airman with one and say "Excuse me Sir?" then as they turn around go, "Oh sorry, thought you were somone important"