tennants rights

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by sirbhp, Jul 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

advice needed please .
    my oppo has been renting a flat for the past 12 years.
    the landlady told him last week to move out pronto because she is selling it because she cant afford to maintain it. I also understand that she may own other rented properties for what its worth.

what are his rights ?

2. She can sell it tenancy unaffected, otherwise look to the rental agreement.

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

It'll all depend upon the type of tenancy that your oppo holds. One thing is for certain, she can't just boot him out.

4. Tennants on the other hand is a truly shite beer...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

IIRC - if the tennancy has a notice period for both parties then he is stuck under the terms, if the tennancy wasn't renewed annually with a set date but allowed to roll over without resigning and there is proof of payment then it changes to an assured one which means she will have to buy him out or find and acceptable alternative as he had many rights.

6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

many thanks troops
    my instincts are that he probably doesn't even have a rent book. His former landlady the mother, was up to date on all this but the current one is int. they certainly have not agreed in writing a new tendency contract for the past 6 years .

7. That's probably to your oppo's advantage. Given that he can show residence for a long period of time and in the absence of a rental agreement all they can fall back on is the law.

He could probably squat until it's sorted out and not pay anything at all, no prospective buyer will go near a property with squatters in situ.

8. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

many thanks for the info folks. dont think he will squat,he is not that sort of person. she now says he is on a month by month tennecy . nothing in writing , turns out she has12 houses in the parish .

• Like Like x 1

9. Assuming your man was originally on an assured shorthold tenancy it sounds like she means that he is now on a statutory periodic tenancy, which seems pretty likely given what you have said.

In order to end the statutory periodic tenancy, she will need to serve him a Notice to Quit under Section 21 of the Housing Act giving him two months to vacate the property.

That's my understanding anyway.

• Like Like x 1