Tenant, house getting auctioned.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by mucus2, May 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The title says it all really. We signed on for a twelve month tenancy, there was a so called "Typo" which said we could leave after six months by giving a months notice. When the six months were up, our landlord announced the property was going on the market. We were offered first refusal, which we did as its not what we want.

Next development which we found out for ourselves is that the house is up for auction towards the end of next month.

Basically, where do we stand?
  2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Interesting one.

Not a lawyer - but I believe that your rental agreement should be part of the searches that the auctioneer will have to carry out, it is possible for the owner to auction off the house with you as a sitting tennant and the new owner takes on the rental agreement.

Saying that, most tenancy agreements are 6 months long with a months notice for either party, not just one...so i'd check your agreement again.

Otherwise I'd suggest a subtle phonecall to the auctioneer mentioning that you are the sitting tenant and you were wondering whether you could ' assist him' with any information he wants...should put a rocket up his arrse.