Ten Greatest War Correspondents

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by fairmaidofperth, Mar 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentleman, are you in agreement?

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

only problem is you missed out the three greats Chester Willmot, Wynford Vaughn Thomas, ( who used to be my neighbor) and Neil Sheehan, who's book "The Bright and Shinning Lie" won him a Pulitzer,

Churchill was not that good, but he used the power and connections of his family to promote his mediocre work

3. Bell's far better qualified than me to create such a list but I would like to add an honourable mention to Edward R. Murrow who's reports on the Blitz had a very important effect on the psych of the American public. The quality of the man's broadcast were very impressive and the sincerity striking.

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I think George Warrington Steevens deserves a mention. He was the most celebrated correspondent of his day, before Churchill's derring-do eclipsed him. The quote below is from a dispatch by Steevens to the Daily Mail during the Sudan campaign (later serialised as "With Kitchner To Khartoum"). Have a read and see how much is still true (my bold).

5. Although not up with the greats (but awarded a Pulitzer prize), some of C L Sulzberger's reports from the Balkans and Moscow during WWII make interesting reading. Whilst not on the front line his background reporting provided an insight into foreign policy and the characters involved, not to mention life as the stereotypical, hard drinking war correspondant.

6. No Martha Gellhorn? Pretty cool to stow away on a D-Day as a stretcher bearer because she lacked credentials to go officially.

Glad to see Don McCullin in there as the photographers often get missed, but no sign of Tim Page?

I often get flamed for mentioning this, but I severely rate Michael Herr. Aside from anything he prety much wrote all the dialogue for the in-country dialogue in Full Metal jacket (or Kubrick pched it!)

7. If you include an element of ally-ness, then Alan Wood must get a mention:

[​IMG]

Chester Wilmot's work must must rank as some of the most perceptive and important, in terms of recording WW2.

8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

9. He also set up the Indian Field Broadcasting Units in Burma, I believe.

10. No mention of Kate Adie?:eye:

11. What about ''The man who liberated Stanley?''

12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Thank goodness !

13. Come on! Only one photojournalist in the mix?

Robert Capa deserves a mention...parachuting into action in the Med despite no formal training and being one of the first ashore at Omaha.

Joe Galloway for his extensive Vietnam reporting and being awarded the Bronze Star for valour despite being a civilian

Modern efforts: Michael Yon, ex-SF and talented photojournalist who has spent more time in Iraq and Afghanistan than any other individual in the pursuit of neutral reporting?