Temporary Traffic Lights

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Jacques_Bustard, Jun 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There seems to be a move away from using temporary lights that communicate with each other via a long yellow cable to ones that communication via radio waves (I assume these are digital lights/controllers). Is it me or are these new ones a heap of crap? They seem to frequently fail and default all the lights to red thereby producing nothing but chaos and long queues of traffic. Yesterday on my 20 mile communte to work I had to get through 3 sets of temporary lights and all of them were stuck on red. Anyone else come across this?

2. If they were all stuck on red I assume you are still there then? :-D

3. I take red lights as a "suggestion".

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not quite but stuck there for long enough this morning. After lots of dithering from the drivers up front they finally realised nobody was going anywhere and just drove through the red lights, which is fine until the drivers coming in the opposite direction have the same idea at the same time.

Edited to add: My education is obviously lacking, I had to use Google.

5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Happened in Morpeth recently but Panzerknacker was in town so I assumed he had spazzed them for a laugh.

Taxi driver tip - flash your lights at them. Some have a sensor and doing that trips it.

6. That's so an Ambulance/Police car with it's blues on will hopefully get through quicker, but it doesn't always work.

7. Aslong as nothing is coming the other way just go through them. I had some gobby **** with one of the stop/go signs yesterday who said I was speeding, since when have they had calibrated speed guns inside them??

8. I was once told (and I'm not sure whether it's true or not) that that's why emergency vehicles have their headlights alternating when they're on blues and twos (ie, right light flashes then left light flashes) rather than both just flashing on and off like the headlights on a car being flashed. The sensor in the lights can differentiate apparently.

9. This reminds me of an incident at some road works when I was a kid in Warwickshire. A local bloke of "hibernian" heritage was engaged by a road repair gang and tasked with handling the manual "Stop/Go" sign. The foreman told him to let about 8 or 9 vehicles through from one direction before changing the sign to let those from the other direction pass through. After a couple of hours the police appeared on the scene asking if there was a problem. There was a queue of vehicles waiting to go through from one direction stretching back about 3 miles. The foreman went to our friend and asked asked him what the problem was. He answered that only 6 vehicles had gone through since he changed it last and so he was waiting for the other two to come before rotating the sign. Absolute fact!

• Like Like x 1
  10. What exactly is the law on temp. lights? Do they come under some Traffic Act or are they purely "advisory"?

11. Just dont get caught...

12. £60 and 3 points if you ignore them

Section 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 - Where a traffic sign of the prescribed size, colour and type or another authorised by the secretary of state has been lawfully placed on or near a road, a person driving who fails to comply with the indication given by the sign is guilty of an offence.

13. Cheers. I sometimes wonder though how many of these lights are "lawfully placed" with appropriate authorisation (?)

14. I assume the clearance from the local authority to dig up the road counts as the appropriate authorisation. From what I was told by a lad from a BT repair team once, the local council sends out people to inspect road works and fine BT for any infringements of the rules for roadworks (including how many cones you have out to mark around your works!) so I would have thought that if they're not lawfully placed the company soon gets reminded of how they should be.

15. They even have to go out and mark the road even before they start to dig.Some nugget has to paint markings on the side of the road to tell the road gang where to place the roadworks signs/lights.