Temporary Internet Access in the UK?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by JoeCivvie, Jun 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shortly heading back to Blighty for a couple of weeks and will need to access t'interweb via the laptop for work.

Staying at the Dowager Duchess of Civvy's place and she isn't connected (doesn't even have a PC) and using my Hong Kong contract is a no-no as the roaming cost will be a lot.

Is there anywhere I can buy something which will give me temporary UK mobile wireless internet access?

2. Get to Tescos and buy a broadband USB dongle, about £20 and you can top it up with pay as you go credit. T Mobile will give you 30 days unlimited for £15. Getting one instore may come pre loaded with some credit to get you going. You can send txts from it aswell.
  3. Not quite unlimited but the usage allowance is usually 1gb, enough for checking emails, surfing the net i.e stay away from file sharing sites ;)
  4. THREE do 3Gb for £15 and 7Gb for £25 - i use it all the time and the coverage in most of the UK is pretty decent with HSDPA in most areas.
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

go to mcdonalds or a million pubs and get free access.

3g dongle will work if you have a good signal, O2 ones will give free access to BT openzone wifi hotspots as well as they would rather you worked through landline connections than the towers
  6. Excellent info, and just what I was looking for.

Thanks, all.
  7. I am in the same position. Coming back to the UK for a course / PDT before going away for the usual 6 months. I have noticed that most of these deals have a small print "subject to credit check". Is this an issue on Pay as You Go. In a previous life I could not get a phone on return to the UK as I had no proof of residential address / history in the UK for the 1st 6 weeks or so. Thanks in advance.
  8. I have an O2 dongle and Pay as you go is by credit card
  9. Thanks. Shouldn't be a problem. OpsO
  10. You can just buy a PAYG dongle for cash in most of the big stores, no credit checks.
  11. Giff Gaff, free SIM, £5 to activate and get £5 of credit. Then buy a £10 goody bag which includes "unlimited data". Now, tethering is against T&Cs, but if you don't tear the arse out of it...

Calls to other giff gaff users are free, too...
  12. msr

msr LE

Assuming your phone has tethering:

Go with Three pay as you go. Take a £15 top up and immediately use it to buy an all-in-one add-on (for £15) which gives you unlimited data for a month.