Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

(Temporary) Halt to ACSM 11 issue?

Seems that looking around on a lot of places that the review of the ACSM 11 is taking at the moment over a year too long and they've stopped processing applications, potentially even for all medals. I think they might release lots of info and start it up again on release of the platinum jubilee medal later in the year. Just a logical thought, but we all know how dangerous that can be :D

Apparently the review of the ACSM 11 is now complete. And details will be released in the next two weeks. But I imagine it will be a "MoD" fortnight, not a regular fortnight. Hopefully they will have updated it to include newer ops and maybe even shed light on the proposed wider service medal. Also makes sense to release it when they release the QPJM at the same time.

The DIN is out.

Noting that it affects veterans, detail as follows:

Once an individual qualifies for specified Campaign, General or Operational Service medals, all time on that medal earning operation (including qualifying time used towards the first Campaign, General or Operational Service medal) will be counted towards the respective ACSM (other than when time is specifically excluded within the respective DIN or JSP 761). The qualification time for the ACSM 1994 and ACSM 2011 remains unchanged (1080 and 720 days, respectively).

Action required by affected individuals

11. There will be no retrospective review by MODMO of ACSM cases dating back to December 2009 and individuals are invited to contact them if they believe they may have been affected.

Former Service personnel (Regular or Reserve) who believe they may have been affected and do not currently have an application for the ACSM pending with the MOD Medal Office should apply directly via the general medal application form on GOV.UK and post to the address at paragraph 11. This information will be promulgated separately to veterans, but single Services are encouraged to share the appropriate information with Service associations etc.

The DIN is 2021DIN09-008 for those in-service, including more detail for retrospective action.

A question for the informed then, and I don't think this is covered by the DIN update.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned a subordinate of mine who had applied for ACSM11 on the basis of having done 4 x 6-month tours, thereby taking him to the apocryphal 720 days' requirement, if you include Initial Qualifying Service period (IQS) which has been confirmed by the new DIN.

Where does R&R come into this? I have been told by some people (J1 clerks in the main) that his case might be viewed by MODMO as still being deficient 4 x 14 day periods (ie another 56 days) as he will have been OPLOC'ed out of - and back into - Th when he took his R&R (which I have confirmed with him that on each occasion he did, and took it back in the UK). However, I have heard from other sources that they were awarded ACSM11 on the basis of 4 Op Tours.

Can anyone shine any (informed) light please? We already have an RFI in with MODMO, but as I understand it they are being thrashed at the moment re-jigging previous ACSM11 applications in light of the new DIN. I don't hold out much hope of hearing from them before Xmas, if I'm honest.

I guess the bottom line question is: For the purposes of ACSM11 qualification, does R&R time get deducted from your 180 (ish) days per tour?

Thanks in advance for all (sensible) replies.

Last edited:
Thanks, @alfred_the_great . I thought this may be the case, to be fair the J1 clerks at my Parent Unit are pretty switched on, but I did have it in the back of my mind that another mate had got his ACSM for 4 x 6 month deployments.

Oh well, when MODMO get their calculations done, we'll know for sure.

Because my query isn't answered by the DIN.

From my own experience, R&R will be removed from ACSM 2011 qualifying time if it is recorded on JPA. If not, it is included in the medal calculation. N.B. also that the dates on my JPA print we not always accurate and I think there may have been up to 10 days adrift - to my detriment - from my own calculation. Good luck with application!

A quote from the MoD page that the link takes you to,

"From 2014, a consistent approach was applied whereby the initial qualifying period for Campaign, Operational and General Service Medals was not counted towards the ACSM. Before this time, the methodology for calculating qualifying time was non standardised."

Should read from October 2014 the consistent approach was due to a LTT email and not due to a 'policy' change (FOI request substantiated). Prior to October 2014 the MoD consistently counted IQS towards the ACSM (FOI substantiated). At last the cluster fu*k has been sorted. Spread the word and tell everyone that applied and was refused to apply again.

A shout out to CJ who put a lot of work into this.

A quote from the MoD page that the link takes you to,

"From 2014, a consistent approach was applied whereby the initial qualifying period for Campaign, Operational and General Service Medals was not counted towards the ACSM. Before this time, the methodology for calculating qualifying time was non standardised."

Should read from October 2014 the consistent approach was due to a LTT email and not due to a 'policy' change (FOI request substantiated). Prior to October 2014 the MoD consistently counted IQS towards the ACSM (FOI substantiated). At last the cluster fu*k has been sorted. Spread the word and tell everyone that applied and was refused to apply again.

A shout out to CJ as he put a lot of work into this.

They didn't use to take R&R away but then changed the policy to deduct it. At least they actually bothered to change the policy unlike the ACSM IQS policy...