Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Temporary) Halt to ACSM 11 issue?

There is a rather intense FOI request (still active) which deals with many of the questions posed on this thread:

Indeed, it's possible that some of those posting here are a part of the MoD request trail.

As to the thorny subject of 'qualification', I would make the following observations:

1. The matter of ACSM IQS at 45 days, if confirmed, would seem to muddle the matter even more so.

2. The final clasps to GSM 1962 included clasp 'N IRAQ & S TURKEY': the qualifying service for this medal was 30 days. The final clasp was 'AIR OPERATIONS IRAQ' - however, the qualifying service for this medal/clasp was 60 days continuous service or 90 days aggregated service.

3. This creates the anomaly that a man/woman could serve 31 days on the former operation, thus qualifying for the medal/clasp but not attract any ACSM qualifying service.

4. Further, a man/woman who served 59 days/89 days respectively for the latter award would attract qualifying service for ACSM but not complete the requisite service for the award of the GSM.*

*having re-read the existing criteria for ACSM, I believe that I may have answered my own question: given that my example at 4 results in no award of GSM 1962, then there is no accrued ACSM service.

I'm curious as to how this muddle will resolve itself!

There is a rather intense FOI request (still active) which deals with many of the questions posed on this thread:

Indeed, it's possible that some of those posting here are a part of the MoD request trail.

As to the thorny subject of 'qualification', I would make the following observations:

1. The matter of ACSM IQS at 45 days, if confirmed, would seem to muddle the matter even more so.

2. The final clasps to GSM 1962 included clasp 'N IRAQ & S TURKEY': the qualifying service for this medal was 30 days. The final clasp was 'AIR OPERATIONS IRAQ' - however, the qualifying service for this medal/clasp was 60 days continuous service or 90 days aggregated service.

3. This creates the anomaly that a man/woman could serve 31 days on the former operation, thus qualifying for the medal/clasp but not attract any ACSM qualifying service.

4. Further, a man/woman who served 59 days/89 days respectively for the latter award would attract qualifying service for ACSM but not complete the requisite service for the award of the GSM.*

*having re-read the existing criteria for ACSM, I believe that I may have answered my own question: given that my example at 4 results in no award of GSM 1962, then there is no accrued ACSM service.

I'm curious as to how this muddle will resolve itself!
The 45 days was for qualification of each clasp for the GSM 08.

As you have said qualification for any of the medals or clasps is dependant on the Operations name and it could be 1 day upto 90 days. So in my case 112 days were deducted from my ACSM total not because it was policy at the time of award but it was a LTT when I applied (2016).

Is it or isn't in the spirit of the ACSM?

For me it is about fair and consistent interpretation of written policy and not the application of implied policy in a lines to take email.

Regards

Regards

Last edited:
I’ve just had my application and qualifying days calculation back - the IQS for my medals has been included in the total days for the ACSM.

The first 7 weeks of a tour have been missed off completely but that’s being addressed separately.

Last edited:
I’ve just had my application and qualifying days calculation back - the IQS for my medals has been included in the total days for the ACSM.

The first 7 weeks of a tour have been missed of complete but that’s being addressed separately.

Many congratulations!

May I ask which medals were part of the application?

The first 7 weeks of a tour have been missed off completely but that’s being addressed separately.
When did you apply?

john9748

Swinger
Interesting - current policy states that the OSM Afghanistan should not have IQS included for the ACSM.

Still, great news for you and hopefully a sign there has been an outbreak of common sense at MODM
Interesting - current policy states that the OSM Afghanistan should not have IQS included for the ACSM.

Still, great news for you and hopefully a sign there has been an outbreak of common sense

Still, great news for you and hopefully a sign there has been an outbreak of common sense at MODMO!
having completed three tours of Afghan would i just have one IQS deducted from my total or three? Also do they deduct RnR? I know i am still quite short but just want to get a general idea of how many days. Thanks

You should only have 1 lot of IQS (30 days) deducted (i.e. the first 30 days that qualified you for your OSM).

You should then also have R&R days out of theatre deducted, so assuming you took 3 x 14 days R and R totalling 42 days, you should have:

Your days in theatre, minus 30 days IQS, minus 42 R&R days.

However, under this new policy (which no one seems to know anything about!) who knows?!

john9748

Swinger
You should only have 1 lot of IQS (30 days) deducted (i.e. the first 30 days that qualified you for your OSM).

You should then also have R&R days out of theatre deducted, so assuming you took 3 x 14 days R and R totalling 42 days, you should have:

Your days in theatre, minus 30 days IQS, minus 42 R&R days.

However, under this new policy (which no one seems to know anything about!) who knows?!
Ap,

thanks for clarifying thats what i was assuming but like you say who knows, i am also very short on days but a good idea of how many now need to possibly qualify in the future. Thank you.

I have an RFI in with the MoD Medals Office (MoDMO) regarding ACSM11 for one of the blokes who works for me.

MoDMO advise that they'll get back to me "around the end of March".

Latest Threads