Temporary Filling - actually no, another dental issue

Yokel

LE
I spoke too soon. It hurts like F*** and I have run out of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
My GP is meant to be phoning me tomorrow - I wonder if she can advice on pain management or expedite that appointment to get the tooth broken up and removed - @Fang_Farrier called it expiration or something. I have had it done twice before and it was alright.

The dental practice have resubmitted the urgent referral to the hospital.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
I did not try to sleep last night until after 0300, so that the side effects of the dihydrocodeine had largely worn off, and I took Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. I managed to sleep until I got woken up this morning. Took Paracetamol and Ibuprofen at around 0900, but nothing else. I have also been managing to eat soft things like bread and jam/peanut butter.

No opiate taken this far today.

Been chasing up the Max/Fac referral this morning - grrr! The referral for an appointment at the hospital is dealt with by a third organisation,, who received it and returned it as the dental practice did not include medical history. Some much for the information age!

Yokel

LE
The swelling and redness on the right hand side of my face has gone was well. I just ate some soup.

Yokel

LE
I ate properly last night, and drank tea. No problem until about 0840 this morning when a drink of cold water triggered it. I took dihydrocodeine, paracetamol, and ibuprofen and about an hour later the pain stopped.

The drugs do work - before they were not able to kill the pain.

I hope this referral comes through quickly - it is time to get it broken up and pulled/cut out.

Last thing I heard from my GP was that I needed to go back to the dentist to investigate the reason pain relief was not working. Last thing I heard from my dentist was that they could not help with pain relief.

I ate properly last night, and drank tea. No problem until about 0840 this morning when a drink of cold water triggered it. I took dihydrocodeine, paracetamol, and ibuprofen and about an hour later the pain stopped.

I hope this referral comes through quickly - it is time to get it broken up and pulled/cut out.

Last thing I heard from my GP was that I needed to go back to the dentist to investigate the reason pain relief was not working. Last thing I heard from my dentist was that they could not help with pain relief.
An option:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

GP is correct.

Dentist also correct, we can't really prescribe much more than you can buy over the counter, which is far cheaper than a prescription.

Yokel

LE
GP is correct.

Dentist also correct, we can't really prescribe much more than you can buy over the counter, which is far cheaper than a prescription.

Far less effective too! At least the painkillers are working now - touching wood.

Yokel

LE
Speaking to a visiting nurse (Mum's nurse), she reckoned that the reason the pain suddenly stopped was due to the antibiotics needing the full five days to kick in. That was way the painkillers were not working.

Nothing yet in the post regarding my referral to the Maxillofacial types.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Speaking to a visiting nurse (Mum's nurse), she reckoned that the reason the pain suddenly stopped was due to the antibiotics needing the full five days to kick in. That was way the painkillers were not working.

Nothing yet in the post regarding my referral to the Maxillofacial types.

Nope.
Pain has stopped because the nerve has finally died.
It's gone beyond the irreversible pulpitis into pulpal necrosis.

After that is the abscess.

Yokel

LE
Nope.
Pain has stopped because the nerve has finally died.
It's gone beyond the irreversible pulpitis into pulpal necrosis.

After that is the abscess.

With this cheery thought in mind, I have been waiting for the referral. Yesterday I was told that there is a waiting list of up to four months! Good job it is urgent. I know they are catching up with a backlog are COVID-18 restrictions. I do not blame them, I do not blame other dentists, or the wider NHS. I blame the Communists.

RaiderBoat

War Hero
I’ve had six root canals. The last one was not fun as they could not inject anymore lidocaine into the site as I was maxed out. She had to drill into the last part of the live root.
She was so upset at causing me pain that she cried a bit.

Couldn’t take anymore narcs as that would have put me under. A few minutes of sheer agony, but fixed.

I really feel for Dentists/oral Surgeons when this happens. I understand the high suicide rate they have.

She actually sent me a bottle of wine as a gift and apology.

Yes. It’s safe…

Yokel

LE
I’ve had six root canals. The last one was not fun as they could not inject anymore lidocaine into the site as I was maxed out. She had to drill into the last part of the live root.

Couldn’t take anymore narcs as that would have put me under. A few minutes of sheer agony, but fixed.

I really feel for Dentists/oral Surgeons when this happens. I understand the high suicide rate they have.

Yes. It’s safe…

Who needs Stephen King novels when you can read this thread? I have not had a happy history with root canals, but I had one done towards the front of my mouth and it hardly hurt - and worked. I think the Indian woman who did it was very good. I did wonder about the advice telling you to eat ice cream afterwards though....

A former dentist told me a story of a patient who had neglected his teeth for years, and was told that he needed multiple extractions, but did not come back. a few months later his wife phoned up to say he had pus coming out of his eye socket... Mr Rottenmouth was unwilling to go to hospital despite the advice.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Yes. It’s safe…

Crying with laughter? :)

Yokel

LE
The offending tooth was surgically removed by an Oral Surgeon this morning - fast and without pain. I just hope it does not hurt too much when the anaesthetic wears off and that the wound does not get infected. I will be using Corsodyl mouth wash as it contains Chlorohexidine.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The offending tooth was surgically removed by an Oral Surgeon this morning - fast and without pain. I just hope it does not hurt too much when the anaesthetic wears off and that the wound does not get infected. I will be using Corsodyl mouth wash as it contains Chlorohexidine.

Fast and without pain? Fecking show off!

Usually salt in hot water is good for a fresh socket.

But nothing on day of extraction

And a handy supply of "Bite Packs" with which to apply direct pressure to the socket - or has this gone out of fashion/favour ?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And a handy supply of "Bite Packs" with which to apply direct pressure to the socket - or has this gone out of fashion/favour ?

Still issued.

With a post operative instruction sheet

Yokel

LE
I must look again at those instructions. Yesterday the wound started to hurt a bit yesterday - nothing that cannot be kept under control by paracetamol or ibuprofen. I woke up this morning at about six and need paracetamol. It feels like it is drawing - if that makes sense. Surely it is to be expected?

What are the signs of things going wrong?

Last edited:

Latest Threads