Temporary Filling - actually no, another dental issue

Yokel

LE
No - they call me Victor - Victor Meldrew.

@Fang_Farrier the girl at the pharmacist said that Tramadol is not usually indicated for dental pain. Is this why I have had so much pain? GP said they did not stock Dihydrocodeine.

Another question - dentists have long commented that I cannot open my mouth that widely. Yesterday the emergency one suggested that this might be due to trauma. Could it be due to my childhood brain injury?

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer

@Fang_Farrier the girl at the pharmacist said that Tramadol is not usually indicated for dental pain. Is this why I have had so much pain? GP said they did not stock Dihydrocodeine.

Another question - dentists have long commented that I cannot open my mouth that widely. Yesterday the emergency one suggested that this might be due to trauma. Could it be due to my childhood brain injury?
I had that problem when my jaw was broken, and again after a wisdom tooth extraction, I had to gradually lever my mouth open with increasing piles of tongue depresses. 3 times a day of agony, but working now...

Yokel

LE
I have managed to eat perfectly well like this for decades, but it does make dental treatment more difficult.

At the moment my pain levels are up and down, and I fell asleep only to wake up with a severe pain. When wil these antibiotics kick in?

Saw dentist again. Still experiencing pain - so prescribed Metronidazole. According to the NHS website it is suited to dental infections.

Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and Tramadol not doing much to numb the pain.
Don't think of even sniffing an alcoholic drink whilst on that, or toothache will be the least of your worries!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Dental pain is usually treated with brufen and paracetamol.

Brain injury very unlikely to be cause of limited opening

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have managed to eat perfectly well like this for decades, but it does make dental treatment more difficult.

At the moment my pain levels are up and down, and I fell asleep only to wake up with a severe pain. When wil these antibiotics kick in?

At risk of sounding like a broken record, from your description of symptoms, I doubt antibiotics will cure your problem.

Yokel

LE
The dentist thought that it was caused by a live infection. Warm/hot things trigger it.

I do wonder if the reason the Tramadol does not seem to do much us because it is unsuitable. I remember the almost instant relief that dihydrocodeine gave back on 2004.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The dentist thought that it was caused by a live infection. Warm/hot things trigger it.

I do wonder if the reason the Tramadol does not seem to do much us because it is unsuitable. I remember the almost instant relief that dihydrocodeine gave back on 2004.

Again, at risk of repeating myself.
Pain on hot and cold would mean that there's still vital nerve tissue inside tooth.
Not an indication of infection.

I would never give tramadol for a pulpitis.

As I have said several times, this is a case for extraction or root canal treatment.

Antibiotics will not be effective

D

Deleted 100463

Pain on hot and cold would mean that there's still vital nerve tissue inside tooth.

As I have said several times, this is a case for extraction or root canal treatment.

I think you may be fighting a losing battle here.

Yokel

LE

Tell my dentist.

I think you may be fighting a losing battle here.

Tell my dentist.

I have just been to A ad E to get some betters drugs - such as dihydrocodeine. Unfortunately the old ones they had also contain paracetamol - so I have to wait a few hours before I can take it.

Last edited:
Are you sure that they're a dentist?
Sounds like a package holiday to the Falklands and a visit to the dentist whilst he's there would be a good plan.

No Boots

Old-Salt
@Yokel you have my sympathies as there is nothing worse than tooth ache, have it extracted asap - problem gone - well until the next one of course :rolleyes:

Not much goes wrong with my plastic ones.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Robert Burns.​

Address To The Toothache​

My curse upon your venom'd stang,
That shoots my tortur'd gums alang,
An' thro' my lug gies mony a twang,
Wi' gnawing vengeance,
Tearing my nerves wi' bitter pang,
Like racking engines!

When fevers burn, or argues freezes,
Rheumatics gnaw, or colics squeezes,
Our neibor's sympathy can ease us,
Wi' pitying moan;
But thee - thou hell o' a' diseases -
Aye mocks our groan.

Adown my beard the slavers trickle
I throw the wee stools o'er the mickle,
While round the fire the giglets keckle,
To see me loup,
While, raving mad, I wish a heckle
Were in their doup!

In a' the numerous human dools,
Ill hairsts, daft bargains, cutty stools,
Or worthy frien's rak'd i' the mools, -
Sad sight to see!
The tricks o' knaves, or fash o'fools,
Thou bear'st the gree!

Where'er that place be priests ca' hell,
Where a' the tones o' misery yell,
An' ranked plagues their numbers tell,
In dreadfu' raw,
Thou, Toothache, surely bear'st the bell,
Amang them a'!

O thou grim, mischief-making chiel,
That gars the notes o' discord squeel,
Till daft mankind aft dance a reel
In gore, a shoe-thick,
Gie a' the faes o' Scotland's weal
A townmond's toothache!

Yokel

LE
Just got some proper painkillers from my GP - Dihydrocodeine. I took the first one about an hour and a quarter ago - pain seems to have changed Can take one every four hours. I am hoping to have a bit to eat tonight and a night's sleep?

Yokel

LE
The referral has vanished in the ether.

Yokel

LE
AS for Dihydrocodeine:

1. I Took the second tablet 90 minutes ago. I can still feel pain. Is normal with a new course of drugs?

2. After taking them I have had experienced excessive salivation and other things? Are these things normal?

Yokel

LE
Had shite night of not being able to sleep, being in constant pain so I got up early and then fell asleep in chair. After missing a phone appointment I woke to discover no pain. Pain the the vicinity of the offending tooth started at about 1050 so I took a Dihydrocodeine straight away.

I am trying to avoid other pain medications except for as and when a top up is needed. No excessive salivation this morning.

Been chasing up the referral - the dental practice did send it off. They will have to break up and cut out the tooth.

Latest Threads