Temporary Filling - actually no, another dental issue

Yokel

LE
Over the last few weeks I have had toothache on and off, when carelessly eating hot or cold things. Last week I got a pain slot - previous attempts to book s normal appointment failed as my dentist was going away. He was unable to tell if the problem was upper or lower teeth, so he took an X Ray. Then he did a filling on the lower tooth, and put a temporary filling in the upper one.

It has been hurting if I eat on that side of my mouth.

Troy

LE
Over the last few weeks I have had toothache on and off, when carelessly eating hot or cold things. Last week I got a pain slot - previous attempts to book s normal appointment failed as my dentist was going away. He was unable to tell if the problem was upper or lower teeth, so he took an X Ray. Then he did a filling on the lower tooth, and put a temporary filling in the upper one.

Sounds like a matter for Fang Farrrier...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Could you not tell him if it was the top or bottom?
We're not fecking psychic.

Pain could be for a number of reasons.

Which tooth is sore when you eat?

Is it when pressure is applied or temperature?

Throb or sharp pain?

Yokel

LE
I was unable to work out which tooth was playing up. It is a throb after hot or cold.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was unable to work out which tooth was playing up. It is a throb after hot or cold.

Sounds like the pulpitis is progressing from reversible to irreversible.

Next step extirpation or extraction

Is it safe?

Yokel

LE

I may not have got that entirely right, as something woke me up in the night and the tooth hurt. I assume that I had not been sleep eating or drinking. Sleep biting?

Sounds like the pulpitis is progressing from reversible to irreversible.

Next step extirpation or extraction

Is that the reason for a temporary filling?

Or suicide

Bit severe.

Is it safe?

Nio. No marathons.

Had to look that up, a new word in my vocabulary.
Doubt that I'll have much use for it though.

I also had to look it up and wondered about the use of it is dentistry.

//True dit//

I saw the thread title and it reminded me of a dit.

My first leader was a Dental Hygienist in the RN and she had some good tales to tell.

One patient was a Naval Regulator, now called Navy Police - universally hated and generally not the sharpest tool in the box. This one came in to have his temporary filling replaced. It turned out the 'proper' amalgam filling had fallen out weeks ago, but he was savvy enough to know that the hole needed to be filled so he did it himself.

With Blu-Tac.

There are other dits, but statute of limitations etc. Top tip - don't EVER annoy a dental person.......

//Out//

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Depends on the type of temporary filling, some can help with inflammation in the pulp.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
//True dit//

I saw the thread title and it reminded me of a dit.

My first leader was a Dental Hygienist in the RN and she had some good tales to tell.

One patient was a Naval Regulator, now called Navy Police - universally hated and generally not the sharpest tool in the box. This one came in to have his temporary filling replaced. It turned out the 'proper' amalgam filling had fallen out weeks ago, but he was savvy enough to know that the hole needed to be filled so he did it himself.

With Blu-Tac.

There are other dits, but statute of limitations etc. Top tip - don't EVER annoy a dental person.......

//Out//

Yokel

LE
I went to the dentist this morning. It was not the temporary filling - not the permanent one done last week. It was an adjacent one, where somehow the large filling has moved and irritated the nerve, which has become infected. This was the first time I had heard a dentist use the term 'lymph node'.

I have a week of antibiotics, then have to decide whether to go the a Root Canal or extraction.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Could you not tell him if it was the top or bottom?
We're not fecking psychic.

Pain could be for a number of reasons.

Which tooth is sore when you eat?

Is it when pressure is applied or temperature?

Throb or sharp pain?
Lower teeth, one hurts when chewing , can they redo fillings ? im not looking forwards to root canal work just to have the tooth pulled in a couple of years time .

I went to the dentist this morning. It was not the temporary filling - not the permanent one done last week. It was an adjacent one, where somehow the large filling has moved and irritated the nerve, which has become infected. This was the first time I had heard a dentist use the term 'lymph node'.

I have a week of antibiotics, then have to decide whether to go the a Root Canal or extraction.
I had a root canal a while back with great trepidation. Underwhelming.

However don’t spend that night in a hotel. Your pillow will look like a used tampon in the morning.

Yokel

LE
I had a root canal a while back with great trepidation. Underwhelming.

However don’t spend that night in a hotel. Your pillow will look like a used tampon in the morning.

I have had them and they went tits - I have a problem opening my mouth. The only one that was successful was at the front of my mouth, and done by an Indian lady with great dexterity.

I have an upper molar that had been filled when I was probably about ten. I think that over the years, the tooth weakened and it finally collapsed pre-covid. My dentist stopped it up with a white resin filling. He said that it was probably not suitable for successful root canal work and might best be extracted. The new 'filling' has recently come out leaving a large void.

Are dentists operating normally again?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lower teeth, one hurts when chewing , can they redo fillings ? im not looking forwards to root canal work just to have the tooth pulled in a couple of years time .

Depends on amount of decay.

Ask for a stepwise restoration

Latest Threads