Temporary/ agency workers entitled to Holiday pay.. +TA?

#1
OK, lets re-ignite this old chestnut: According to this BBC news report, casual staff such as agency or temporary workers are entitled to paid holidays on a pro rata basis. So, the question is NOT whether we should get this (debated many times on here) but whether we ARE entitled to it

"Direct employees, temporary agency workers and some workers who are self-employed for tax purposes are all entitled to statutory paid annual leave. This must be paid at your normal daily rate of pay, excluding overtime."

BBC News item

Incoming! :roll:
 
#2
Who cares?
 
#3
oldcolt said:
OK, lets re-ignite this old chestnut: According to this BBC news report, casual staff such as agency or temporary workers are entitled to paid holidays on a pro rata basis. So, the question is NOT whether we should get this (debated many times on here) but whether we ARE entitled to it

"Direct employees, temporary agency workers and some workers who are self-employed for tax purposes are all entitled to statutory paid annual leave. This must be paid at your normal daily rate of pay, excluding overtime."

BBC News item

Incoming! :roll:
Temporary part or full time not Temporary casual.
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#5
Top response there by EX_STAB. TA is not part-time, contracted, work. It is casual. you don't have to turn up, and in return the Army don't have to provide any training. That's the long and the short of it.

I dare say we'll revisit this in around eighteen months to two years. Meanwhile, I haven't seen TA pensions mentioned for a while....
 
#6
OldSnowy said:
Top response there by EX_STAB. TA is not part-time, contracted, work. It is casual. you don't have to turn up, and in return the Army don't have to provide any training. That's the long and the short of it.

I dare say we'll revisit this in around eighteen months to two years. Meanwhile, I haven't seen TA pensions mentioned for a while....
Just to play devils advocate and because its (another) slowish day:

The TA does have to provide training before we are allowed to 'work', take part in physical exercise, shoot and/ or/ deploy.

We have a contract that we sign up to with an engagement of 12 years
(if I remember correctly) :)
 
#7
The TA are CASUAL employees to part time! The TA has had its man traing days (MTDS) cut to 5o days this year, so where are the "holiday" days going to come from?

Stilts
 
#8
oldcolt said:
OK, lets re-ignite this old chestnut: According to this BBC news report, casual staff such as agency or temporary workers are entitled to paid holidays on a pro rata basis. So, the question is NOT whether we should get this (debated many times on here) but whether we ARE entitled to it

"Direct employees, temporary agency workers and some workers who are self-employed for tax purposes are all entitled to statutory paid annual leave. This must be paid at your normal daily rate of pay, excluding overtime."

BBC News item

Incoming! :roll:

Is this just a stab bitchin about wanting more leave or a general employment crib Just check employment rights act
 

hank

War Hero
#9
OldSnowy said:
Top response there by EX_STAB. TA is not part-time, contracted, work. It is casual. you don't have to turn up, and in return the Army don't have to provide any training. That's the long and the short of it.
I currently have a "zero hours" contract; the company are not committed to offering me any work and I am not obliged to accept an offer, but I still get pro-rata holiday pay. I don't know if this is an entitlement though or whether they are just being nice. They are a pretty good bunch to work for, but I suspect that they would not incur such an expense if they did not have to.
 
#10
taylortaylor said:
oldcolt said:
OK, lets re-ignite this old chestnut: According to this BBC news report, casual staff such as agency or temporary workers are entitled to paid holidays on a pro rata basis. So, the question is NOT whether we should get this (debated many times on here) but whether we ARE entitled to it

"Direct employees, temporary agency workers and some workers who are self-employed for tax purposes are all entitled to statutory paid annual leave. This must be paid at your normal daily rate of pay, excluding overtime."

BBC News item

Incoming! :roll:

Is this just a stab bitchin about wanting more leave or a general employment crib Just check employment rights act
WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :lol:
 
#11
STILTS said:
The TA are CASUAL employees to part time! The TA has had its man traing days (MTDS) cut to 5o days this year, so where are the "holiday" days going to come from?

Stilts
The other 315 days ?

That'd be a better contract than the filth in Parliament are on....... :D
 
#12
oldcolt said:
taylortaylor said:
oldcolt said:
OK, lets re-ignite this old chestnut: According to this BBC news report, casual staff such as agency or temporary workers are entitled to paid holidays on a pro rata basis. So, the question is NOT whether we should get this (debated many times on here) but whether we ARE entitled to it

"Direct employees, temporary agency workers and some workers who are self-employed for tax purposes are all entitled to statutory paid annual leave. This must be paid at your normal daily rate of pay, excluding overtime."

BBC News item

Incoming! :roll:
As suggested a whinging stab

Is this just a stab bitchin about wanting more leave or a general employment crib Just check employment rights act
WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :lol:
 
#13
From my experience of "temp" contracts you can usually get holiday pay if you can f*ck yourself and get it videotaped by Boudica. I don't know if it's changed since my time but may I suggest that you dream on ;) Sir!

Edit: for nice little quote from the linked article "Your employer can tell you when to take your leave and can rule out holidays at certain busy times of the year." That basically translates to "no you can't take leave, ever." :x
 
#15
TA do not have a contract of employment - WRONG - yes they do. When you sign up to join you sign a committment to do a fixed number of (obligatory) training days (19 or 27 depending on unit). That is the employment contract between you and the employer (MoD). It's called 'mutuality of understanding' - I.e. that the employer will provide (the work) and the employee will do (the work).

Any duties completed which are not desgnated as 'committment duties' are then 'casual' in nature, as there is no 'mutality of understanding' by either party to do these duties and no contract is in place other than the contract for the 19 or 27 days obligatory training.

By the way a member of the TA CAN be disciplined for not completing his/her 'committment duties' - never heard of it happening but it is there to be used. A member of the TA CANNOT be disciplined for failing to undertake any casual duties!

TZA
 
#16
TangoZeroAlpha said:
TA do not have a contract of employment - WRONG - yes they do. When you sign up to join you sign a committment to do a fixed number of (obligatory) training days (19 or 27 depending on unit). That is the employment contract between you and the employer (MoD). It's called 'mutuality of understanding' - I.e. that the employer will provide (the work) and the employee will do (the work).

Any duties completed which are not desgnated as 'committment duties' are then 'casual' in nature, as there is no 'mutality of understanding' by either party to do these duties and no contract is in place other than the contract for the 19 or 27 days obligatory training.

By the way a member of the TA CAN be disciplined for not completing his/her 'committment duties' - never heard of it happening but it is there to be used. A member of the TA CANNOT be disciplined for failing to undertake any casual duties!

TZA
Thats what Ilove about the TA and this site. There is always someone who (appears) to know what they are talking about (no offence intended T0A). :lol:

So whose going to be the first to try a test case then? :wink:
 
#17
extrader said:
If we get a pension we WILL lose the Bounty.
The Bounty is 'in lieu' of your pension... MoD successfully argued this at the London Employment Tribunal two years ago in a TA case.

TA pay is abated - same as Regulars - and the abatement money is used for Bounty (which you may or may not qualify for but it is withheld anyway unless you do qualify bounty!)

For the Regulars the abatement money is used for pension at the end of their service.

I've been round this one several times...!

TZA
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#18
oldcolt,

If you are not careful people will start to think of you as a money grabbing whiner. Posts to date include:

How can I get gucci boots for free?
How can I get dental for free?
How can I get the gym for free?
How can I get paid holiday from the TA?

All of this and you have not even completed recruit training yet!
 
#19
The_Duke said:
oldcolt,

If you are not careful people will start to think of you as a money grabbing whiner. Posts to date include:

How can I get gucci boots for free?
How can I get dental for free?
How can I get the gym for free?
How can I get paid holiday from the TA?

All of this and you have not even completed recruit training yet!
If trying to obtain what is due to us under QR's is money grabbing then guilty as charged.

BTW.
Gucci boots: Now delivered and my foot problems have stopped overnight when out tabbing. Gucci? maybe. Medical necessity? definately!
Gym: Potentially saving hard pressed squaddies in the TA several hundreds of thousands of pounds a year on unnesecary gym fees and ensuring that MOD property (paid for by our taxes) is fully utilised
Dental and Holiday pay? Wait out. The TA has changed out of all recognition from the cold war days when a good piss up every so often after a range day was reward enough. We are now, despite any classification of 'casual labour' ( a good name for our political masters as well!!!) might try to argue a part time reserve force with a contract of employment.

If the public knew of this classification (casual labour) and applied it to those guys and gals who are out there enduring, getting injured and killed for this country they would, I am sure, be horrified that the government classes us as such.

You are right, I haven't passed CMSR yet (this time around :roll: ) but I don't believe that that disenfranchises me or anyone else on here from trying to make a difference/ obtain what may be due but is not made available due to plain ignorance or sheer bloody mindedness at my local TAC or through the CoC/ lack of information across the MOD on these issues.

Duke, ask yourslef, do you want the men under your command to have boots that will prevent/ reduce injuries and have access to a free, well equipped gym so that they are fit to deploy without having to find this out of their own pocket? The regulars have all of this without any queries/ problems and quite right to. As part timers, we should have a similar (deliberate use of the word) package now that many of us are doing an identical job in identical locations taking identical risks.

The system is in desperate need of a shake up and ive never been one to stand by and let others do work for me. :)
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#20
Boots - if you are one of the very few who genuinely need gucci boots (rather than just want them/can't be arrsed to break in the issue ones) then fair enough. The system is there to support it, but I dread to think of the money wasted if every recruit started bleating about their feet to get a set of GBP100+ boot because they are comfier/look fancier.

You do not need a gym to get fit to deploy. You need to run and tab, outside, for free.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top