Tempest Manned Unmanned Fighter Concept

Just put my varifocals on and it looked like a shark with that carrier acting as teeth!

few weeks ago was speaking to a BAE geek, who said fighter jets will always have aircrew as CAS will always be fast jet aircrew
He wouldn’t per chance have had anything to do with that glorious milestone of British aerospace technology - Teranis - would he?!

Either way, said geek was clearly a bit of a muppet given that our last CAS, Sir Andy Pulford, was a helicopter pilot! :rolleyes:

Regards,
MM

AI unmanned capable (at this stage), Guess the rumor's were correct, The F-35 will be the last manned fighter.

By the time this thing flies, AI will be controlling half the battlespace.

Maybe they should call the prototype the P-45 Tempest ;)
Or just call it what it is, a ******* Terminator. If somebody does not start regulating AI with some pretty serious parameters to prevent it / them from deciding that the best way to win the war is to just kill all of the humans on both sides so that the humans will not start any more wars, then we are fucked, in a matter of a few decades or less, we are fucked.

Or just call it what it is, a ******* Terminator. If somebody does not start regulating AI with some pretty serious parameters to prevent it / them from deciding that the best way to win the war is to just kill all of the humans on both sides so that the humans will not start any more wars, then we are fucked, in a matter of a few decades or less, we are fucked.
I'm serious :), It is already too late, AI has been released into the wild and has been learning for a few years. Multiple programs have been written and released already, anyone that knows how can do it and that scares me enough but building flying weapons like this is beyond the pale unless it can absolutely be isolated and controlled.

It is only a matter of time until countermeasures are developed that will allow these to be hijacked, the technology cannot be air gaped due to it needing to communicate over the air.

If that huge new attack surface is not enough, the damned thing could and logically will realise that it''s human masters are the root cause of all of it''s problems before going onto to solve those problems with ruthless efficiency.

I'm serious :), It is already too late, AI has been released into the wild and has been learning for a few years. Multiple programs have been written and released already, anyone that knows how can do it and that scares me enough but building flying weapons like this is beyond the pale unless it can absolutely be isolated and controlled.

It is only a matter of time until countermeasures are developed that will allow these to be hijacked, the technology cannot be air gaped due to it needing to communicate over the air.

If that huge new attack surface is not enough, the damned thing could and logically will realise that it''s human masters are the root cause of all of it''s problems before going onto to solve those problems with ruthless efficiency.
I think your tinfoil titfer has a hole in it...

There are such people who regulate AI with 'seriouse parameters'. They call them 'Russian hackers'.

I think your tinfoil titfer has a hole in it...
What? You think it is crazy to expect that

A) Autonomous weapons represent a new attack surface to be exploited and
B) Humans are vulnerable to AI and the law of unintended consequences?

Some of the greatest minds we have have been warning against this for years now. AI represents one of the greatest threats we have ever faced. It could even be a bigger threat than Nuclear weapons (being used) and unfortunately, it is already too late as so much of it has been released into the wild already.

This is not a conspiracy theory, it is reality

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e...rome..69i57.3657j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=...y-ab..6.1.184...0i7i30k1j0i10k1.0.TbZ9DOG1T5A

Some of the greatest minds we have have been warning against this for years now. AI represents one of the greatest threats we have ever faced. It could even be a bigger threat than Nuclear weapons (being used) and unfortunately, it is already too late as so much of it has been released into the wild already.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e...rome..69i57.3657j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=...y-ab..6.1.184...0i7i30k1j0i10k1.0.TbZ9DOG1T5A

I would offer that an American billionaire is perhaps not the most qualified to comment on the relative dangers betweeen AI and nuclear weapons.

While I have infinitely more respect for the late Sir Stephen Hawking and agree that AI will in time require very careful husbandry, such dangers are far from about to destroy humanity in ‘...a matter of a few decades or less.’ If you’re that concerned however, may I suggest that you start a separate thread and see how much interest it generates.

Meanwhile, those of us in the military who use such evolutionary challenging technology will continue to try and get it to do rather more basic stuff...which it often royally screws up anyway! Then again, perhaps it’s a clever AI ruse to lull us into a false sense of security!

Regards,
MM

I would offer that an American billionaire is perhaps not the most qualified to comment on the relative dangers betweeen AI and nuclear weapons.

While I have infinitely more respect for the late Sir Stephen Hawking and agree that AI will in time require very careful husbandry, such dangers are far from about to destroy humanity in ‘...a matter of a few decades or less.’ If you’re that concerned however, may I suggest that you start a separate thread and see how much interest it generates.

Meanwhile, those of us in the military who use such evolutionary challenging technology will continue to try and get it to do rather more basic stuff...which it often royally screws up anyway! Then again, perhaps it’s a clever AI ruse to lull us into a false sense of security!

Regards,
MM
I think AI development is farther along than whatever it is you have access to. You dont need the resources of a nation state to develop AI. It is already being done at an accelerated rate in the private sector, universities and people bedrooms. There is only the ethical views of the developer to rely in to keep it under control.

We have some very sophisticated robots comming out of boston dynamics and others that simply need the ai program to be uploaded and of they go on an amazon delivery or a rampage depending on how they feel.

Its not science fiction and its not crazy. What i find crazy is a stubborn attitude to defending against new threat vectors.

If you think elon musk is crazy then i dont know what to say to you.

If AI can defeat every human on earth at chess, how long do you think it will be before it reasons that the quickest and most efficient way is to tip the board over and crush the opponents skull instead.

I think AI development is farther along than whatever it is you have access to...
And I think you underestimate the realities of such application; pink, carbon based life forms have evolved over billions of years and are rather good at what they do.

For decades now people have been predicting that autonomous systems would make manned platforms - notably fighters - obsolete and that the F-4/F-15/F-35 would be the last manned combat aircraft.

Yet we’re still many decades from where that will be the case.

...You dont need the resources of a nation state to develop AI...
I never said you do.

...It is already being done at an accelerated rate in the private sector, universities and people bedrooms. There is only the ethical views of the developer to rely in to keep it under control...
I never suggested otherwise.

...We have some very sophisticated robots comming out of boston dynamics and others that simply need the ai program to be uploaded and of they go on an amazon delivery or a rampage depending on how they feel...
An ‘...amazon delivery or a rampage...’...riggghhht!

...Its not science fiction and its not crazy. What i find crazy is a stubborn attitude to defending against new threat vectors...
Sorry about that.

Equally, those of us in the military business (of which I sense you’ve never been) get tired and amused at the constant claims of boffins/AI engineers/politicians that ‘the answer’s unmanned, now what’s the question?’ or AI will somehow allow less personnel to deliver greater effect.

AI will in time become an exceptionally powerful tool; in some respects it already is. But we remain a very long way from the ‘grey soup’ dystopia you predict.

...If you think elon musk is crazy then i dont know what to say to you...
I did not say he was; please do not misrepresent my words.

I merely pointed out that he was perhaps not the best qualified to comment on nuclear warfare, or indeed any other military activity.

...If AI can defeat every human on earth at chess, how long do you think it will be before it reasons that the quickest and most efficient way is to tip the board over and crush the opponents skull instead.
Quite a long time.

Chess is largely mathematically derived and based on predicting which option is the most likely to lead to results in the future.

The real world is rather more complex than that as AI (of which the military has access to some extremely impressive examples) science projects and ‘drones’ so ably demonstrate.

Therefore,

Regards,
MM

I would suggest that ALL of your fears already have solutions.
It's already perfectly simple to make any weapon safe, and in the control of just one human if needed.
Drones/UAV/RPS could easily be made immune to spoofing or enemy interference, it's only the compromise that military operators want multiple people in the CoC of each aircraft that stops this.

Google Duplex is cutting edge tech, but requires a lot of computing power and took a lot of development.
Tech like this is a long way from being able to be put in a weapon like a missile or UAV.

Last edited:
I think AI development is farther along than whatever it is you have access to. You dont need the resources of a nation state to develop AI. It is already being done at an accelerated rate in the private sector, universities and people bedrooms. There is only the ethical views of the developer to rely in to keep it under control.
Out of curiosity (we already know you're non-military), what actual professional experience do you have in design engineering, or computer science? Because the only AI happening at an "accelerated rate in people bedrooms" is fantasy.

Lecturer in AI at the Bayes Centre? Undergraduate? Studying computers for GCSE? Enthusiastic reader of Custom PC? Or merely player of console games and watcher of badly-scripted straight-to-DVD science fiction?

:cool: I'm guessing the last in the list :cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Surrey_Trog Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 0
M Royal Signals 16
maguire Aviation 4