Tempest Manned Unmanned Fighter Concept

Genuinely, if the Union loses Scotland, it loses a net outflow of money.
I fear it would not be that simple.

For a start, we’d face lengthy negotiations as to how equipment was split. We’d also need to fund rebasing of assets and the associated cost of replacement infrastructure which would run into £Bs. Finally, our personnel issues would be aggravated.

No one would win, least of all UK Defence.

Regards,
MM

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I fear it would not be that simple.

For a start, we’d face lengthy negotiations as to how equipment was split. We’d also need to fund rebasing of assets and the associated cost of replacement infrastructure which would run into £Bs. Finally, our personnel issues would be aggravated.

No one would win, least of all UK Defence.

Regards,
MM
I think, as in many cases, what we'd lose in one place we'd gain in another.

The SNP, though, runs a very tricky line in terms of critical mass, as well as intellectual property.

I think, as in many cases, what we'd lose in one place we'd gain in another...
I agree that the nationalist argument is naive in the extreme and that it’ll hurt Scotland as and when it happens. However, I can see no other result that it would be utterly disastrous for Defence.

@Simpering Civvie,

Care to elaborate on the ‘dumb’ tag?

Regards,
MM

[QUOTE="redshift, post: 9471170, member: 48643]

The International Turbine Engine Company already builds Honeywell’s F-124 engine for Taiwan’sF-CK-1 Ching-kuo fighter. .....
[/QUOTE]
Did they really call it the F-CK-1 ?
They should develop a version for the Italians, the F-CK IT, and maybe one for the Middle Eastern market, the -ME.

Last edited:

The International Turbine Engine Company already builds Honeywell’s F-124 engine for Taiwan’sF-CK-1 Ching-kuo fighter. .....
They should develop a version for the Italians, the F-CK IT, and maybe one for the Middle Eastern market, the -ME.
[/QUOTE]
New version to be called the F-CK-U

[/QUOTE]
Shame Yugoslavia doesn't exist any more. :twisted:

I agree that the nationalist argument is naive in the extreme and that it’ll hurt Scotland as and when it happens. However, I can see no other result that it would be utterly disastrous for Defence.

@Simpering Civvie,

Care to elaborate on the ‘dumb’ tag?

Regards,
MM
I object to the need to inject Brexit and politics into every interesting topic. Like we haven’t had enough of discussing it everywhere else on the forum!

Unmanned fighters will mean RAF pilots will cease being dashing heroes called Binky, Ginger and Dicky, nursing a kite back to blighty on one engine for a belly landing followed by medals and a debagging in the mess, it will be Brian sat behind a monitor in Milton Keynes and the only awards will be a free upgrade to grande at the Costa coffee outlet .

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Unmanned fighters will mean RAF pilots will cease being dashing heroes called Binky, Ginger and Dicky, nursing a kite back to blighty on one engine for a belly landing followed by medals and a debagging in the mess, it will be Brian sat behind a monitor in Milton Keynes and the only awards will be a free upgrade to grande at the Costa coffee outlet .
They ain't man* enough for that much coffee...

*Other genders are available.

I object to the need to inject Brexit and politics into every interesting topic. Like we haven’t had enough of discussing it everywhere else on the forum!
Sadly, whether you object to it or not, the implications of BREXIT are very relevant to UK Defence and will remain so for some considerable time.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Your post was not related to UK defence.
The thread is about Tempest, a multinational project of which UK Defence is a key part! That in turn means that Brexit is relevant as it directly affects our status as a credible industrial partner!

Regards,
MM

The thread is about Tempest, a multinational project of which UK Defence is a key part! That in turn means that Brexit is relevant as it directly affects our status as a credible industrial partner!

Regards,
MM
And of course the Swedes and the Italians have no idea Brexit is happening? Or that a no-deal Brexit is very possible?
I get that you’re unhappy about Brexit but there’s a time and a place. It’s incredibly boring to have that topic pollute every single thread. Especially when this project likely won’t bear fruits for the next two decades.

Last edited:
@Speedy questioned why anyone would want to get involved with the Germans on an aircraft project. I merely highlighted for balance that Brexit and other current UK domestic politics is - at the very least - already complicating our own ability to contribute to major programmes.

Whether you like it or not, that is a fact and the timeline of the Tempest Programme is exactly when such ramifications may be most felt.

Regards,
MM

Slime

LE
Sadly, whether you object to it or not, the implications of BREXIT are very relevant to UK Defence and will email so for some considerable time.

Regards,
MM
That is very true.
Especially when some of the minutia of former PM May's deal are looked at.
There are negatives that depend on whether we get a deal or not, let alone leave or not.

The fact that Italy and particularly Sweden have joined is good news.

It will however be very interesting to see where Tokyo eventually lays its towel. I sincerely hope that they’re not using the possibility of joining a European consortium merely as a means to lever greater industrial and IP access from the US.

For me, Japan remains the ultimate prize for a number of reasons. Firstly, their operational needs are very similar to our own; even more so now that they’re going to be operating their future fighter alongside the F-35B. Secondly, they have genuinely exceptional technology, and military capacity which outstrips almost every western nation in a great many areas. Finally, we share a great deal of political and constitutional characteristics and it is in both nations’ interests to broaden their alliances in coming decades..

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads