Tempest Manned Unmanned Fighter Concept

FARNBOROUGH, England (Reuters) - Britain will invest 2 billion pounds to 2025 to develop a fighter jet called Tempest that could be used with pilots or as a drone, its defence minister said on Monday, unveiling a life-sized model of the new stealthy warplane.

UK to invest 2 billion pounds in new fighter programme through 2025
U.K. to Unveil 'Tempest' Fighter Jet Model for Post-Brexit World

The Daily Star has a photo, if you don't mind them trawling through your computer.
BREAKING: Britain unveils new futuristic fighter jet TEMPEST – and it can fly UNMANNED

Last edited:
Bears a striking similarity to the Japanes ShinShin

And sure enough, the Japanese are one off the potential players for this new fighter as a joint venture.

FARNBOROUGH, England (Reuters) - Britain will invest 2 billion pounds to 2025 to develop a fighter jet called Tempest that could be used with pilots or as a drone, its defence minister said on Monday, unveiling a life-sized model of the new stealthy warplane.

The Daily Star has a photo, if you don't mind them trawling through your computer.
BREAKING: Britain unveils new futuristic fighter jet TEMPEST – and it can fly UNMANNED
Alternately, here it is

Has a resemblance of Replica in it too, I hear form follows function, does that mean we have reached the current pinnacle of stealth design? It doesn’t seem to have any 9g plus alternative power plant type speculative (see secret tinfoil hattery) additions.

If we were then to apply that to 6th gen, it seems that perhaps full autonomy is not really achievable in a 6th gen timeline (despite the claims since 4th gen it will be the ‘last’ manned vehicle..ha) and perhaps the best we can expect of 6th gen is RPAS from a nearby asset or some kind?

Wonder what makes it different from F-35 which I assume has some kind of redundancy to retrofit unmanned?

Has anyone defined 6th Generation yet? Suppose it could still have some kind of self healing heat absorption material and plasma technology to reduce drag plus those buypass engines to fly sustained and fuel efficient Mach 3?

Be interesting if 6th Gen is a mixture of old (faster higher the better), stealth, EW and is it called network centric, the ability to process data.

Why have an aircraft that can be manned or unmanned? Surely, in the unmanned configuration it is carrying a shedload of weight that it doesn't need, or they take out the manned infrastructure (bang seat, controls, instruments, cup-holders ... ) and perhaps put in extra instrumentation, etc.

Doesn't make sense to me, but then, as usual, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Perhaps @MagicMushroom can enlighten us?

From the same Star article.....behold the awesome weaponry of the RN.

Screenshot_20180716-064715~2.png

Just one GPMG?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Has a resemblance of Replica in it too, I hear form follows function, does that mean we have reached the current pinnacle of stealth design? It doesn’t seem to have any 9g plus alternative power plant type speculative (see secret tinfoil hattery) additions.

If we were then to apply that to 6th gen, it seems that perhaps full autonomy is not really achievable in a 6th gen timeline (despite the claims since 4th gen it will be the ‘last’ manned vehicle..ha) and perhaps the best we can expect of 6th gen is RPAS from a nearby asset or some kind?

Wonder what makes it different from F-35 which I assume has some kind of redundancy to retrofit unmanned?

Has anyone defined 6th Generation yet? Suppose it could still have some kind of self healing heat absorption material and plasma technology to reduce drag plus those buypass engines to fly sustained and fuel efficient Mach 3?

Be interesting if 6th Gen is a mixture of old (faster higher the better), stealth, EW and is it called network centric, the ability to process data.
Most significant advances in current 6th Gen programmes seem to be engines, DE weapons, and cyber resistance/attack other factors such as stealth, endurance, and data networking seem to be evolutionary.

With engines RR would likely be building on the work they did for ADVENT variable cycle engines for the US in the last decade.

More pretty pictures

D

Deleted 155579

To quote a aviation engineer - 'Drones are utterly fearless and their pilots don't get paraded on TV'
Drones flown from a fixed location, what happens if someone launches a pre-emptive attack on the naafi holding these pilots OR, do succeed in jamming the unjammable (ECM, ECCM the eternal battle), but keep that little secret to themselves, until the day when all our planes turn tail, or land at enemy airbases.

Most significant advances in current 6th Gen programmes seem to be engines, DE weapons, and cyber resistance/attack other factors such as stealth, endurance, and data networking seem to be evolutionary.

With engines RR would likely be building on the work they did for ADVENT variable cycle engines for the US in the last decade.
Looks like it has conceptual rear facing radar, must be partnering with the French.

Drones flown from a fixed location, what happens if someone launches a pre-emptive attack on the naafi holding these pilots OR, do succeed in jamming the unjammable (ECM, ECCM the eternal battle), but keep that little secret to themselves, until the day when all our planes turn tail, or land at enemy airbases.

Hmmm, let's think about that, 'drone' pilots killed in the NAAFI so the RPAS can't fly

Or

Pilots killed in the NAAFI so the piloted aircraft can't fly

Yes, massive difference....oh, hang on.

Wouldn't be nice if Econc*m/Deleted 155579 could say something positive for Britain, even if only once..

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hmmm, let's think about that, 'drone' pilots killed in the NAAFI so the RPAS can't fly

Or

Pilots killed in the NAAFI so the piloted aircraft can't fly

Yes, massive difference....oh, hang on.

Wouldn't be nice if Econc*m/Deleted 155579 could say something positive for Britain, even if only once..
Coherent would be a start

There will be times when you'll need a driver, airframes to make on-the-spot decisions that can't be made remotely or by committee - or so they tell me
Understood, but is this to be a common manned/unmanned airframe, with mission-dependent conversion of the airframe, or will there be two distinct variants?

There will be times when you'll need a driver, airframes to make on-the-spot decisions that can't be made remotely or by committee - or so they tell me
I think it’s more to do with the speed of the decision not whether it’s made from the cockpit. Ie. Bandwidth.

I’m sure there is the technology to have a 4K video with pretty much unlimited movement fused with sensors to make the cockpit pretty much invisible linked to Virtual Reality headset, certainly in the next 10 years the headsets will match available cameras, but that amount of data cannot be transferred instantly to anywhere in the world.

What peaked my interest is that in my opinion, this optionally manned means that to those in the know, this level of data transfer is not envisaged in any credible source to allow the decision to be remotely piloted let alone the ability of AI, despite what those propeller heads know about quantum computing and other bleeding edge technology.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Surrey_Trog Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 0
M Royal Signals 16
maguire Aviation 4