Telling Parents Im Off to Afghan! (1st Tour)

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by Franny1990, Jan 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So i've known for a bit now that there is a big chance ill be going to herrick in july i will find out what dates next tuesday i dont know how to tell my parents because i know my mum will start being emotional and to be honest i'm sh1t at dealing with it! any idea's gratefuly rec'd

2. Txt her

3. I phoned from Germany “Hi mum can’t stay on too long not got much change, how are you? How is everyone else? Good good , No I’m not up to much, yes I’ve done my washing, no I’m not married yet, Oh by the way I’m off to Belfast next month, that’s all my change gone there’s the bleeps phone you next week.”

Easy its all in the timing.

4. be nice you her and let her cry if she wants. my lad rang me as I was going home from work on the bus I cried all the way home and the little sod was as chuffed as could be

5. Didi thats the point they can cry all night as long as you are in a pub a long way away at the time :D

6. this is true bu the time he dragged his sorry arse home I was over it and cooking steak cos I thought he wouldn't get another good meal till rnr

7. I have known my son is going for a while now but it was suddenly bought forward.

He phoned from work on monday mumbleing fcuking needles and he had been to the dentist and it suddenly hit me.I sat in my car crying :)

Trouble is,If I get upset so does he.

Still its his job and its what he as chose to do but at 19 I dont see him as a man.

8. I went home that night having scared most of my fellow bus user but putting the phone down and swearing very loudly in a most anglosaxon way and bursting out crying, but like you say it is there choice tho I had to fight the urge to get in touch with his CO and telling him my lad was not allowed to play out any more.

PM me if you want to talk Taboo

9. The sad fact of the matter is this; the British Army have been in conflict every year since 1945, and servicemen have been killed every year, apart from 1968. (Peace? My arrse!) Anyone in the military who thinks they won't go away is fooling themselves. It's difficult for all involved, but crying and wailing makes it difficult for all involved. It was easier on tour in my youth- no internet, no welfare phones, so less to distract us from the job in hand. These days, Mums panic if she hasn't heard from her little soldier every few days, and the media don't help. Simply put, the OP is a soldier, that means he'll go away like approx 20,000 other troops this year to Herrick. Statistically, there's a good chance he'll be back. Treat him with the normal amount of love you have for him. Don't smother him, let him grow. When mums go overboard, if anything it makes the soldier feel worse, makes homesickness kick in, makes them a burden on his colleagues. Don't worry, he'll be back soon, bluffing girls on how he's winning the war on his own, and getting in drunken trouble of various natures. Last tour, I got more trouble with the younger lads when they get home than while we're away. Honestly, we're better off in Afghan! Sorry to sound heartless, but I am, so that's how it is.

10. you are right in everything you say, it doesn't stop a mum being a mum, I did the whole stiff upper lip thing being good army family I know my job, but it doesn't stop us spending 6 months on minimum sleep, fretting when we dont hear from them and dont give me the you will know before it hits the news we know that as well, it didn't stop me having a go at a TA chap after and incident had been reported with the guards when my son was attached to them.

Us mums become irrational but that's it. We are either crying with pride passing out, medal parades, promotions etc, or we are crying from fear

11. you are right in everything you say, it doesn't stop a mum being a mum, I did the whole stiff upper lip thing being good army family I know my job, but it doesn't stop us spending 6 months on minimum sleep, fretting when we dont hear from them and dont give me the you will know before it hits the news we know that as well, it didn't stop me having a go at a TA chap after and incident had been reported with the guards when my son was attached to them.

Us mums become irrational but that's it. We are either crying with pride passing out, medal parades, promotions etc, or we are crying from fear

12. You cant tell a mum not to cry 8O,I understand your post but still.

Its not always mums you have to worry about but the g/f..They can put an awful amount of pressure on and many a time I have seen him so upset himself.

It may sound corny but my pride in how my sons have turned out far outweigh any worry I may have.I worry when when they are out in their chav wagons on the weekend :roll:

13. Phone her from Brize... but using the 'no change' technique.

14. Or, just man up and say "Mum I'm off to Afghan on *insert date*" worked for me.

15. cheers for the advice think i might just have to be blunt like you say however phoning her from brize might just be taking the pi$s abit!