Tell me this and tell me no more.

I challenge you to find anything for sale on the high street that isnt made in China. Go on try it. Apart from food, it's nigh on impossible. And for every item we buy in from outside the EU we have to pay the EU a percentage....think on that, every item.
Exactly, and the tariffs imposed on the goods go into the EU coffers to prop up inefficient production.

I challenge you to find anything for sale on the high street that isnt made in China. Go on try it.
in fairness it is difficult but they are there. I know I make some of them

And for every item we buy in from outside the EU we have to pay the EU a percentage....think on that, every item.
incorrect there is not duty on every item

Sure it is. Nothing to do with negative Eurozone interbank rates and s 0% bass rate.
actually it in now quite hard to get a mortgage here due to newer Central Bank regulations.

The lowest is around 3% interest rate

Last edited:
Ref housing

Last time the issue was cheap credit being thrown at people

This time it is lack of supply
so all the ghost villages filled now are they? overbuilt cheap and nasty estates on the outskirts of most big towns, Why is Ireland trying to act the big lad in all this? they NEED access through GB we don't need to go through ROI for anything so their loss in the big picture, let them put a hard border down and lets see who loses the most, call the gay Indians bluff.

Including British inefficient production

Not forget HM Customs get 25% of all Duties they collect on the EU’s behalf
We get 20% to cover our actual costs of collecting the duty. In other words we do the work, they give us 20% of our money which covers our costs and we send the a cheque for 80% of it for doing feck all. A real bargain...for them.

so all the ghost villages filled now are they? overbuilt cheap and nasty estates on the outskirts of most big towns,
Many were where actually people didn’t wanted to live and were hours from the major cities where most people lived.

Many have been Finished and some flattened.

Why is Ireland trying to act the big lad in all this? they NEED access through GB we don't need to go through ROI for anything so their loss in the big picture, let them put a hard border down and lets see who loses the most, call the gay Indians bluff.
We don’t necessarily need access through GB (it’s very much desirable).

Add to that NI

Now read your comment I quoted again you answered your own question..... we have the most to lose out of any of the 27

We don’t necessarily need access through GB (it’s very much desirable).
You will not be bothered then, that the new dock bridge is going in nicely.
You know, that one those big Irish wagons do not need access through GB, for to get to the EU.

Including British inefficient production
The EU is a major cause of British production inefficiency since it is cheaper to import labour from Poland etc then operate efficiently. Once the tap of cheap labour is switched off, firms will have to find productivity to compete. A good thing....

Actually, the myth of low British productivity is exactly that, a myth. The sectors that generate wealth through export of goods and services have highly competitive productivity, including financial services, pharma and manufacturing which tends high added value products. The bits that drag down UK productivity are the internalised commoditised services and public services particularly the NHS.

But the UL has never been a net recipient of EU largesse; quite the opposite. So it’s productivity is dragged down by EU costs rather than propped up by largesse. Which is exactly the opposite to Ireland.

IMHO Brexit will be seriously damaging for Ireland especially if the UK does manage to pull off a “global Britain” posture.

You will not be bothered then, that the new dock bridge is going in nicely.
You know, that one those big Irish wagons do not need access through GB, for to get to the EU.
I must have missed the bit on the Irish ports website where they say that they only ever and will ever do routes to the UK.

The EU is a major cause of British production inefficiency since it is cheaper to import labour from Poland etc then operate efficiently. Once the tap of cheap labour is switched off, firms will have to find productivity to compete.

Actually, the myth of low British productivity is exactly that, a myth. The sectors that generate wealth through export of goods and services have highly competitive productivity, including financial services, pharma and manufacturing which tends high added value products
i work in the manufacturing sector with extremely high productivity and good wages and we export al over the world

IMHO Brexit will be seriously damaging for Ireland especially if the UK does manage to pull off a “global Britain” posture.
Definitely

But I can’t see global Britain working

I work in the manufacturing sector with extremely high productivity and good wages and we export al over the world
I didn’t suggest otherwise. Ireland has plenty of successful, highly productive manufacturing businesses. It’s well placed to attract inward investment; an educated English speaking workforce, a highly competitive tax regime and sensible governance codes. But it is still very reliant on trade with the UK particularly for its less leading industries. The downside for Ireland for me is the Euro and all its hidden risks.

On the global UK thing, in many ways it already exists and hasn’t really gone away. The UK routinely tops soft-power indices, London is one of very few global cities, UK contract law is universal, a great start up culture, world leading universities etc etc. Downside is the potential for a communist government.....

Actually, the myth of low British productivity is exactly that, a myth. The sectors that generate wealth through export of goods and services have highly competitive productivity, including financial services, pharma and manufacturing which tends high added value products.

UK car plants are world leaders in productivity.

UK car plants are world leaders in productivity.
In pure output per head terms yes, but adjust for labour costs and the advantage isn’t clear. Take away import tariffs on non-Eu vehicles and add tariffs on exports to the Eu and the adjusted productivity picture is less rosy for Nissan, Toyota, Honda etc etc. But they all have big capital investments to amortise; they’re not going anywhere.

JLR have the advantage of massive added value through brand; their cars are distinctive, but often it as good as the opposition. Yes they are growing fast and are (at last) leveraging Jaguar.

The minnows aren’t minnows really. The likes of Rolls, Aston & McLaren are growing with massive margins. And Lotus will be next with Geely behind them.

Remind me about Ireland’s car manufacturing sector?

In pure output per head terms yes, but adjust for labour costs and the advantage isn’t clear. Take away import tariffs on non-Eu vehicles and add tariffs on exports to the Eu and the adjusted productivity picture is less rosy for Nissan, Toyota, Honda etc etc. But they all have big capital investments to amortise; they’re not going anywhere.

JLR have the advantage of massive added value through brand; their cars are distinctive, but often it as good as the opposition. Yes they are growing fast and are (at last) leveraging Jaguar.

The minnows aren’t minnows really. The likes of Rolls, Aston & McLaren are growing with massive margins. And Lotus will be next with Geely behind them.

Remind me about Ireland’s car manufacturing sector?
Now don’t go dissing delorean, a microcosm of what is wrong with the Emerald Isle.
An industry with no roots in Ireland transplanted in with huge injections of other taxpayers money on the nod of incompetent politicians in awe of a crooked chancer.
That unsurprisingly went skint ( and to prison) without any taxpayer seeing a return.
North or south the result would have been the same I fear.

It may soon be in the RoI.
You can then thank the EU fir your very own ‘Albania’ being your responsibility
You really don't have a clue what your talking about.

Explain to me how my part of the UK may soon be in the ROI?

Now don’t go dissing delorean, a microcosm of what is wrong with the Emerald Isle.
An industry with no roots in Ireland transplanted in with huge injections of other taxpayers money on the nod of incompetent politicians in awe of a crooked chancer.
That unsurprisingly went skint ( and to prison) without any taxpayer seeing a return.
Made in Belfast

Thats funny as Volkwagon card were being assembled in Dublin upto the mid 80's apparently.
Ford also assembled cars in Ireland from the mid 1920's upto the 80's.

De Lorean as no different to me the baby chancers who have successfully turned a large fortune into a small one by making sports cars. Except that he used other people’s money; taxpayers money because he picked a location where that was available.

Others have successfully built car industries in states with no manufacturing industry let alone car industry (all those Eastern European plants, BMW in Alabama etc.

That no one has chosen to do so in Ireland is more because it’s a stupid place to build cars.